Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Calling all photographers................

As a passionate photographer with way to many bodies, (Sony A7R3's, NEX, and other Alpha systems) and lenses, I am trying to find a place to locate at least my Sony A7 with 35-70 2.8 and have my 70-200 zoom standing by. I am thinking of putting Pelican style foam in the drawers below my TV in our 2018 337RLS and cut them out and have them ready on the run. Also it will protect them while driving.

Does anyone else have something that they have done that make more sense, lets talk.

Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That actually sounds like a pretty cool idea that I would love to be able to incorporate. The only thing I could think would be a draw back is the camera being in the camper tucked away while driving and not readily available for our many spontaneous let’s check this out stops. Unfortunately all my gear is either packed away in a bag in the closet, or stashed in open nooks and crannies in the truck. With two little kids my photography is not as involved as it used to be, it’s either quick bracketed shots on P mode (I have decided that P stands for parent mode, cause I ain’t got time for messing with a tripod or anything fancy like that!) or mostly the phone.
    Chris and Karen - currently on the coast of the Olympic Peninsula

Roaming the country full time with our 2018 312BHTS Reflection behind a 2016 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins and two preschoolers who are highly addicted to camping.

Follow our adventures @brownsignjunkies

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Former part-time pro here (weddings and events). When I quit shooting for pay, I sold everything (including studio lighting system, backdrops, etc.) except one full-frame DSLR body, about four of my favorite lenses, and a few flashes and accessories. I keep everything I have with me in a Tamrac camera backpack that also has a slot for my laptop. I can grab the bag (even if it does weigh a lot!) and throw it in the truck, the car, or put it on my back for hikes without worrying about whether or not the slides are in or out. My "90%" lens (the one I use 90% of the time) stays on the body in the backpack so it's just grab-and-shoot.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I guess I should clarify, we will be parked permanent in Dayton, OR at The Vintages/Wine Country RV Park this summer. So I need to stow my gear away, but not so far away that I can't grab it fast for that quick shot. I have several gear bags, but only want to take one bag for when we are out and about and have the other gear securely packed in the 337.
    I also carry a Sony RX100 VI and a Sony RX 0 II (coming this week), in the cab.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go light!

You are hauling too much stuff.

As a photojournalist for many years, all my gear fits in one Domke bag that I can take anywhere or toss in the floor of a closet or the top of a bookshelf or a spare drawer or...

What am I toting?

Everywhere, all the time camera:

Fujifilm X100f (Leica, eat your heart out). This stays more or less permanently on my body. Fixed lens, built-in flash.

DSLRs for specialized work:

Two light-weight DSLR bodies. Wide zoom, f1.4 fixed, tele zoom, tiny fill flash, large flash.

Wide zoom on one body, tele zoom on the other.

Fixed f1.4 for low light conditions.

All of this fits in one bag that easily fits closet, large drawer or truck.

When traveling, it rides on the floor behind the driver with the Fuji in the console.

When not traveling, it sits on the closet floor.

Normally, the X100f is all I need.

Getting rid of excess, periodically, is a GOOD thing.

Ebay is your friend!
    Last edited by Najataagihe; 05-18-2019 at 09:39 AM.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Najataagihe View Post
    You are hauling too much stuff.

As a photojournalist for many years, all my gear fits in one Domke bag that I can take anywhere or toss in the floor of a closet or the top of a bookshelf or a spare drawer or...

What am I toting?

Everywhere, all the time camera:

Fujifilm X100f (Leica, eat your heart out). This stays more or less permanently on my body. Fixed lens, built-in flash.

DSLRs for specialized work:

Two light-weight DSLR bodies. Wide zoom, f1.4 fixed, tele zoom, tiny fill flash, large flash.

Wide zoom on one body, tele zoom on the other.

Fixed f1.4 for low light conditions.

All of this fits in one bag that easily fits closet, large drawer or truck.

When traveling, it rides on the floor behind the driver with the Fuji in the console.

When not traveling, it sits on the closet floor.

Normally, the X100f is all I need.

Getting rid of excess, periodically, is a GOOD thing.

Ebay is your friend!
    Good for you, but I totally disagree.

I have been shooting Nikon for 40 plus years and last year sold off everything to go to Sony mirrorless. If I were a photo journalist and was backpacking around the world, I agree, however, I am living part time, full time for 6 months and my photography takes many different avenues. Vloging, astro photography, landscape, street phonotography....... With Sonys smaller form factor, it doesn't take up as much room except for the fast glass is still big and bulky.

So lets stay on track and here about some great storage solutions.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your idea sounds interesting (foam cutouts in a drawer in the RV) but that actually seems less convenient to me. I have several Lowepro bags that I use for various purposes. I keep my primary lens on my DSLR body in the bag along with 2-4 others lenses depending on where I'm going. I can leave the bag in the RV or quickly grab it and put it in the truck when out driving around. I would find that more convenient than having to pull the gear out of the drawer one at a time and put in a bag to take in the truck for excursions. But that's just me. Lowepro makes a lot of different bags (e.g. backpack, sling over one shoulder, "regular" carry bags in a gazziilion sizes, etc).

A "compromise" would be to put the bag in the same drawer in the RV you want to line with foam. When you want to grab your camera, you open the same drawer, unzip one zipper on the bag and you have your camera. If you want to take a drive somewhere, you open the drawer and grab your bag.

I also have a couple Pelican cases with foam cutouts that I use when traveling overseas or for scuba diving trips but those are purely for protection while traveling. Not handy to grab and use a camera quickly. To me your foam cutout drawer idea kind of falls into that category. Great protection but not very handy for everyday use.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jvenard View Post

So lets stay on track and here about some great storage solutions.

The "great storage solution" was the "one-bag" concept.

The equipment list was just to give you an idea of how much gear you could have safely stored, but ready to go with a simple yank on a strap.

More gear than a Domke will hold?

Use two, one for immediate deployment equipped for usual needs, one for all the specialized gear you don't use too often.

A good bag (or two) will provide all the protection you need for traveling and still allow you to get to your gear quickly.

If you are bound and determined to build permanent storage, pick a drawer and either have Pelican design and cut a custom insert for you ( https://www.pelicanfoam.com/ ) or use their Pick-n-Pluck foam ( https://www.thepelicanstore.com/foam/pick-n-pluck ) and install it yourself.

That way you can put it wherever it is most convenient.

The "too much gear" comment was oriented towards what you would use every day, not your entire rig.

For all the other gear, stackable plastic storage containers with the Pick-n-Pluck foam will take care of the stuff you don't use every day.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Najataagihe View Post
    The "great storage solution" was the "one-bag" concept.

The equipment list was just to give you an idea of how much gear you could have safely stored, but ready to go with a simple yank on a strap.

More gear than a Domke will hold?

Use two, one for immediate deployment equipped for usual needs, one for all the specialized gear you don't use too often.

A good bag (or two) will provide all the protection you need for traveling and still allow you to get to your gear quickly.

If you are bound and determined to build permanent storage, pick a drawer and either have Pelican design and cut a custom insert for you ( https://www.pelicanfoam.com/ ) or use their Pick-n-Pluck foam ( https://www.thepelicanstore.com/foam/pick-n-pluck ) and install it yourself.

That way you can put it wherever it is most convenient.

The "too much gear" comment was oriented towards what you would use every day, not your entire rig.

For all the other gear, stackable plastic storage containers with the Pick-n-Pluck foam will take care of the stuff you don't use every day.
    The problem I have with bags, backpacks, Pelicans and any other carrying item is the ease of getting stolen. Let's face it I can walk into an RV Park and open just about every TT or 5th wheel with my keys. My bags will be used for day to day travels but I really want to conceal and make it difficult to take my gear with one or two hands. I am thinking of doing the P and P foam in the drawers below the TV and above the fireplace in our 337 RLS or, as a wood worker, creating a lockable chest that will be screwed in below the bed storage area with a lockable top and using padded dividers from Amazon or P and P foam inserts. Stowed away and protected from the banging around on rough roads.

PS I did sell my DJI Phantom and picked up a DJI Spark which is so much smaller and EZ to stow away. Offerup is the best platform that I have found selling my Nikon D810 and all of my glass.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jvenard View Post
    ... and have them ready on the run.
    This is what threw me off. I thought you wanted quick access to your camera gear. It sounds like you are more interested in protecting it from theft. We've never locked the front door on our RV but if I was super worried about somebody stealing my camera gear, I would actually store it behind the wall in the basement. I created a hinged door for that space and no thief would ever think to look there.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast