User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dual / Double Pane Window Dealer Statement

This past weekend while looking at some Solitude's I noticed that none of the Solitude's had double pane windows. So I wanted to know why this dealer doesn't order double pane windows. His response:

"We don't order double pane windows because the gas that is injected between the two panes escapes and after year 1 or 2 the seals that bond them to the wall will break effectively allowing water to enter the trailer."

I would love to hear comments from those who did go with the double pane windows. I'm interested because the heat in Texas is unbearable in the summer months. I wanted to go the cheap route and put foil over the windows but DW said no way Jose.

There were other statements the dealer made that made me chuckle...yes payload was one of them. hehehe.
    Last edited by howson; 04-17-2019 at 02:10 PM.
    Jim & Kate
    2019 Ford F350 CC 6.7 Diesel DRW
    2020 Solitude 344GK
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2017 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel (Sold - already miss her)
    2018 GD Reflection 315RLTS (Sold)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty doubtful there's any gas other than air inside the double panes. The downfall with double pane windows in RV's is they're expensive and they're heavy.

But double panes would be useful in either the very cold climates or in the very hot climates. The vast majority of RV's are not kept in such climate variances and really don't require double panes. But Texas is one of those places where it gets extremely hot in Summer--where trees are not always available to keep you cool.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim & Kate it is always a good thing to verify and confirm anything that an RV salesman tells you. It seems they went to the same school as car salesman of just a couple of decades ago.

I do not have dual pane windows in my Momentum as I bought it six months used from private party. However, if I had ordered it, it would definately have dual pane.

We had dual pane in my previous Arctic Fox. I negotiated to take the unit that was on their lot and they would order the dual pane windows to replace all windows (it was only a 28' 5th wheel, so not many windows) but my point is that I was able to experience the exact same unit first without dual pane and then with dual pane and so I am convinced from experience that the difference is worth it! It seems that those that have never had them will repeat old stories from 10-20 yrs. ago and tell you that you don't need them. But those that have had dual pane windows previously will tell you that they're worth it and you should order your rig with them.

I never had any problems with mine leaking and I was in the mountains often with my Arctic Fox. I've never heard of them leaking water inside the rig and not sure why they would if they're installed correctly.

I don't understand why dealerships do not order their rigs with dual pane windows, either. I believe they'd sale them if they had them. But since they don't have them, the salesman are going to try to convince you to buy without dual pane so they can sell you a unit off of their lot.

JMHO
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I work in the "Window" business, there is gas between the glass, not "air"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zadiemay View Post
    I work in the "Window" business, there is gas between the glass, not "air"
    What gas do they put in there?
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Verifying a Dealer statement

I believe it is argon, but will check tomorrow & let you know if different. (I work in the paper pushing department) - confirmed Argon is the gas in between panes of glass. I did find out that you don’t have to get gas, can just be normal air. I was also told, eventually gas will leak out. Most reputable mfgs do have warranties. I’m not sure about for mobile units. I work in the commercial glass area & not Resdential.
    Last edited by zadiemay; 04-16-2019 at 06:05 AM.

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no gas in RV dual pane windows. It is literally just 2 panes of glass. If the seal does break, they can fog from the moisture.

We're not talking home windows here....

There are not many dealers that will stock DPW because they are expensive and do add weight. There is a low percentage of units built with DPW.

GD does not stock them in the plant. When an order for DPW comes in, they have to order them before they can build the trailer.

THe average weekend camper does not care about DPW, the full timer and extended stay owners will order what they want.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Dual panes was an $1,100 option for our Reflection. I don’t consider that expensive especially considering the benefits.
    We had to order ours from the factory this way. We spent 6 months in the Pacific North West and never had any issues with foggy windows or condensation.
    They really cut down on noise too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bruce and Nancy
    2018 Imagine 2150rb
    2011 Silverado 1500 5.3L

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    There is no gas in RV dual pane windows. It is literally just 2 panes of glass. If the seal does break, they can fog from the moisture.

We're not talking home windows here....

There are not many dealers that will stock DPW because they are expensive and do add weight. There is a low percentage of units built with DPW.

GD does not stock them in the plant. When an order for DPW comes in, they have to order them before they can build the trailer.

THe average weekend camper does not care about DPW, the full timer and extended stay owners will order what they want.
    Steve - thanks, for once again, clearing the air on DPWs. It is interesting how often the "gas or no gas" question arises between the panes. One can understand the assumption many folks have since home windows are gas filled that RV windows are as well.

The insulation, noise, and condensation issues seem a little more allusive to pin down. Many folks share (many do not) that there seem to be some benefits in these three areas and that does make sense. Are there any factual sources to get answers on these areas ?

By the way, congratulations on apparently finally joining the GDRV ownership ranks. I see the 260 Reflection is in the future as noted in your signature !

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast