Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the Proper Grease For Travel Trailer Axles?

I have a 2019 Imagine travel trailer. We are about to take our first long (8000 mile) trip and want to have some grease on hand. From what I've read online, it is important to use a grease that is high temperature and compatible with the grease that is already in the Dexter axles / bearings. Can someone let me know which grease you use? Not looking for the best price necessarily, just the best grease for the application. Thanks in advance. Paul

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Lucas Red n Tacky. Not sure about compatibility. I repack our bearings by hand so I am cleaning tho old grease.
    The Adams - 2017 Reflection 367BHS, 2019 F-350 6.7L PSD 4x4 CC DRW, B&W hitch on Ford pucks, Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimate Plus air bags, "Rupert" the Weimaraner.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks RVRunners. That makes sense-- if you remove the old grease you don't need to worry about compatibility I suppose.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 on the Licas Red N Tack, I also hand pack the bearings. I started with a new set of bearings since I originally had bearings with the runny grease from LCI so I dont know about compatibility with what Dexter uses when they ship their axles.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky2019$ View Post
    I have a 2019 Imagine travel trailer. We are about to take our first long (8000 mile) trip and want to have some grease on hand. From what I've read online, it is important to use a grease that is high temperature and compatible with the grease that is already in the Dexter axles / bearings. Can someone let me know which grease you use? Not looking for the best price necessarily, just the best grease for the application. Thanks in advance. Paul
    Reading your post it sounds like you are planning to pump in more grease through the zerk on the axle. There has been a lot of discussion here about that, but the consensus was its best not to use it at all and always pull them apart and hand pack them. The rear seals often do not hold up to the pressure of the gun, and grease gets past them and onto the brake drum. Once that happens the brakes need to be replaced, they cannot be cleaned.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Similar discussion on this thread -
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...Grease-is-best

We had the shop use Mobil 1 Synthetic when they cleaned and repacked the wheel bearings on our Dexter axles last week.
    Joe & Joy + children
    2018 Imagine 2800BH
    2022 F250 Crew Cab 4x4 Tremor, 7.3L V8
    Equal-i-zer 1,200/12,000 lb. hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven’t checked our new 310gk yet, but during the PDI, we were told that it has Bearing Buddies on the spindles. Can someone confirm? This is. 2019 Solitude? I’ve maintained bearing buddies on my boat trailer for years by simply pumping in a little new grease here and there and then occasionally tearing everything down and re-building/re-packing things. Never had a problem. I recently rebuilt the boat trailer to SS disk brakes and oil bath hubs. The switch to the oil bath hubs may not have been the best idea, as I’ve had lots of issues with the back seals. Seem to. be holding for now, but it’s only been one trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Holger & Corinne
    Granite Bay, CA

2019 Solitude 310gk w/goosebox conversion
    towed by 2012 Ford F450 Lariat crew cab 4x4
    Bilstein shocks, Air-ride air bags
    2 independent on-board Viair compressors w/2.5 gal. air tank
    Boston Whaler 21' Outrage when not towing 5'er

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Gengiant,

The manual states to repack your bearings once a year or every 12,000 miles, whichever comes first. Most members here that discuss it, do the repack as opposed to using the bearing zerks. The few that use the zerks state it’s best to raise that side of the trailer and spin the tire as you gently pump in the grease, so as to distribute it evenly and “hopefully” not blow any past your rear seals. The best way is to just remove, inspect and repack them. That way you can see if they are worn, and if your brakes look good.

I did mine last year, the first year, and intend on doing them every two seasons in the future. I put on about 3,000 miles a season right now.
    Steve & Sue (pups:Sky & Sierra) Gardnerville, Nv
    2017 Refelection 297RSTS
    2017 Ford 350 CC 4x4 Lariat Superduty 6.7, Long Bed

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gengiant View Post
    I haven’t checked our new 310gk yet, but during the PDI, we were told that it has Bearing Buddies on the spindles. Can someone confirm? This is. 2019 Solitude? I’ve maintained bearing buddies on my boat trailer for years by simply pumping in a little new grease here and there and then occasionally tearing everything down and re-building/re-packing things. Never had a problem. I recently rebuilt the boat trailer to SS disk brakes and oil bath hubs. The switch to the oil bath hubs may not have been the best idea, as I’ve had lots of issues with the back seals. Seem to. be holding for now, but it’s only been one trip.

The Grand Design trailers come equipped with a "bearing buddy" type system, but it is recommended to repack them by hand. In boats they are commonly used since the hot axle is submerged in cool water which can cause the grease to expand and contract. In these trailers where they do not see the rapid temperature change it is not recommended to fill them with the zerk in the axle. I cannot find the thread where this was discussed, but the best advice is to pull the bearing inspect it and the race and repack by hand. As I recall this ensures no grease escapes past the rear seal to contaminate the brake drum.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    2019 F350 Platinum 6.7L LB 4x4

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gengiant View Post

Hi Holger & Corinne,

"Bearing Buddies" or zerk grease fittings on the spindles with drum brakes is just a bad idea from the "get go". Many discussions about this on this forum. If you check your service manual, you will find no mention of using the zerk. Only hand packing the bearings. Bearing buddies make some sense for hubs (without drum brakes) that are submerged (boat trailers), to extrude water. They make no sense for RV hubs. Bearing grease doesn't go away or wear out . . . unless there is a bearing problem that you will only know about by inspecting the bearings. The spindle exit hole for the zerk grease is right inside the rear seal. If this seal is compromised at all (and many are) . . . that extra grease is heading for your brake shoes. My advice . . . don't do it!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast