User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a hard wired 50 amp EMS. I also purchased several plug in volt meters to monitor voltage both at home and in the trailer. These are inexpensive and work great. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CDJRLKI/

I also carry a Hughes Autoformer with me to help when I get to a campground or a friends barn with low voltage. It will boost voltage up to 10% when it senses low voltage. I only use it when voltage gets below 108 volts or so.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main issue I have is, assuming the EMS is functioning as designed, it appears that some campgrounds may have inherently high voltages, therefore the EMS will cutoff the power and your only recourse is to bypass or use a generator. As my experience indicates this is more likely to occur overnight and a generator is not an option. I hope my experience is an isolated issue and it seems that way because no one else has chimed in. Time will tell.
    2019 GMC 2500 HD Denali
    2021 Reflection 337RLS / EMS HW50C
    Reece 20K Goosebox
    Solid Step

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coheeba View Post
    T...assuming the EMS is functioning as designed...
    So you haven't confirmed your EMS is accurately reading line voltage? Should be relatively easy--measure with a voltmeter at an outlet in the trailer tied to leg 1 and then an outlet tied to leg 2 and compare the readings to what is shown on the EMS.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main issue I have is, assuming the EMS is functioning as designed, it appears that some campgrounds may have inherently high voltages, therefore the EMS will cutoff the power and your only recourse is to bypass or use a generator. As my experience indicates this is more likely to occur overnight and a generator is not an option. I hope my experience is an isolated issue and it seems that way because no one else has chimed in. Time will tell.
    If the campground has known higher than normal voltages, you would be wise to avoid them.....no matter how much you like the place. As you stated, your options are to bypass or use a generator. Bypassing and allowing high voltages will have an effect on the electrical stuff in the trailer....some issues may occur sooner than others, but in almost all instances, it will eventually cause a problems.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    So you haven't confirmed your EMS is accurately reading line voltage? Should be relatively easy--measure with a voltmeter at an outlet in the trailer tied to leg 1 and then an outlet tied to leg 2 and compare the readings to what is shown on the EMS.
    I wont be able to get to the camper for a few days, trying to get my boat in the water, problems, problems, problems, too many toys.
    2019 GMC 2500 HD Denali
    Reece 20K Goosebox
    Solid Step

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can you tell which outlet is on leg 1 and which one is on leg 2

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Papahoosh View Post
    How can you tell which outlet is on leg 1 and which one is on leg 2
    A real electrician may find fault with my terminology, but this explanation should be close!

Below is a picture of the circuit breaker panel in my 315RLTS. See the two 50A breakers in the middle? The top 50A breaker feeds the breakers above it. The bottom 50A breaker feeds the circuit breakers below it. These are the two "legs" in a 50A RV alternating current setup.

So for my question to Coheeba, he could measure the outlet in the bathroom (GFCI, so on leg 2). He'd then turn off all the breakers on leg 2 and then go find an outlet that is still powered which means it must be on leg 1.

If any of this is wrong or I didn't use the verbiage correctly, I hope an expert will correct me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Legs.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	19495

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howard,

The only thing I would add is DO NOT BELIEVE the circuit breaker labels. For example the breaker labeled as Washer on my panel controls receptacles, not the washer.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also watch the current draw on the little monitor as you cycle breakers on and off. Plug a hair dryer into the outlets and you should see significant current draw.
    2019 GMC 2500 HD Denali
    Reece 20K Goosebox
    Solid Step

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got off the phone with PI and they said that the unit could be in need of calibration. They have had some issues with the circuit board company and they were not calibrated. He said check the incoming voltage and if it doesn't match the display you need to calibrate the board.

***Disclaimer*** I bear no responsibility for the following information. Proceed at your own risk!! If you are not comfortable preforming the calibration you can send the unit back and PI said they will replace it.

Attachment 19425
    **UPDATE** I went camping last week at a different campground and had the same over voltage situation, I think my unit needs calibration. My problem is I can only get 50 amps when I’m camping. My buddy has a generator with a 50 amp rv plug so I think I will borrow it so I can calibrate.
    2019 GMC 2500 HD Denali
    Reece 20K Goosebox
    Solid Step

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234