User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone changed the bed to a king size bed & taken the small end closets out?

We have taken some measurements for a king bed & it won't fit through the door so we are thinking 2 twin mattresses would work. Of course we will have to make the bed platform bigger. I was just wondering if anyone on here has done this.
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use the search function. I think I remember someone posting about this within the past year or so. (Might use "queen" and "king" in the search.)

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may be helpful also to know what RV you are asking about.

Brian

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    It may be helpful also to know what RV you are asking about.

Brian
    +1.

We had ours changed and doors weren't an issue as we went with a mattress in a box. However, there are many others that have done it or even changed King mattresses with no clearance issues, mostly in 315 or 5ers though.
    2019 REFLECTION 315RLTS
    2018 RAM 2500 4X4 CTD CCSB

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just changed out our Queen to a King in our new 310 GK.

I simply removed the two "night stands" by pulling off the front panels with a set of small crow bars and unscrewed the frame and table top. After that I bought two sheets of 3/4 plywood to increase the base width for the new mattress ( if you measure carefully you can use the same mounts for the gas struts ). I recommend buying new hinges, use 4 instead of three, (standard door type [with the pin]) because the gas shocks are quite strong and the original hinges have a tendency to bend.

We purchased a "Spa Sensations" 10" Memory Foam mattress from Walmart (we have been sleeping on the 12" mattress in our home for years) and un-rolled it onto our new plywood base. We also added a 4" memory foam topper for coolness.

One thing to consider when making this change is: how much room will you have on each side of the bed. We found that the space on one side was too narrow to walk in easily. To fix this issue, we will soon be trimming that side of the mattress by about 3 inches (very easy to do with an electric carving knife).

A couple of notes about measurements: Our 310 GK measured 72" side to side (without the Night Stands) and 80" in length. Because of this sizing, we purchased a California King mattress (72" x 84") and cut a few inches off at the foot of the bed. This was easier and cheaper than ordering an RV King which measures 72" x 80".
    Last edited by SolarPoweredRV; 04-20-2019 at 02:28 AM.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK