User Tag List

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the best connectivity solution for casual RVs?

I'm looking for the best connectivity solution for a retired couple who just wants to have reasonable internet access while on the road. I understand that "reasonable connectivity" is a relative term and we are simply seeking a cost effective and consistent connection that would allow us to do email, internet searches and perhaps the occasional YouTube video with no heavy duty workload or streaming required. As you know RV park WIFI's are often overloaded and very unpredictable.

I have reviewed a lot of posts on related subjects, but I'm curious what others have found to work the best in most circumstances during their travels around NA; i.e. MIFI, WIFI boosters, mobile HotSpot or ...? We're not computer geeks so some of the solutions I've reviewed appear to be more in depth than I wish to pursue. While this is an ever changing landscape of options, any thoughts from those of you who have already been down this road would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just hot spot my phone and share my connection with cricket. Unilimited data and not throttled when over a VPN. I stream, so my needs are more robust but it's no harder opening a VPN and hitting connect.

Lots of ways to do that depending on your device. Many use PDA net, some the built in hot spot, others root and change variables directly.

You can go for a mostly plug and play or make it as complicated as you want.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the swift response. We have used our mobile phones as hotspots on multiple occasions and wanted to confirm from the GD group whether this is the most cost efficient approach before changing our cellular plan.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We use a Mobley from ATT. Its $20/month with unlimited data. It is designed for a vehicle and plugs into the OBDII port. I purchased a female OBDII port with unterminated wire ends and wired up a power supply to it so it can be used in a standard outlet. We also use campground wifi with a Pepwave Surf-on-the-go which uses wifi as WAN type connection. Whichever connection is faster is our go to choice.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the additional information. I will investigate these options.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We stream Roku through a Verizon hotspot. Works great...unless you're in the middle of the Ocala National Forest. Seriously, I have Sling for CFB(I'm really enjoying my Clemson Tigers kicking Bama butt) and we are members of Amazon Prime. It's a little pricey, but my love of CFB as my sole hobby/passion is worth it

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I used to have a low data cell plan from AT&T, and just switched to the same from Xfinity (woohoo - bill is now $15/month for 2 phones!). In either case, when not using WiFi, if you go over you automatically get charged for an additional gig or two of data. Repeat until you get to the end of the billing cycle. Some providers allow you to "bank" a limited amount of unused data to be applied when you go over in a future period. In the end, I never had to pay more than $30 extra in a whole month of camping, where I am using cell data for all the stuff in the trailer. But we don't stream video....and try to use campground WiFi if possible. Those that have to do work, fulltime, or must have streaming videos, would not be happy with this solution. But it's been the most affordable option by far for us. $30 even a couple of times a year, on top of a $15/mo standard bill, sure seems to beat buying additional hardware and/or going with more generous data plans.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MOFI router and add a line to your cellular plan.
    Take sims card out of new phone and put in Mofi
    The Mofi makes your phone company see data only so they don't slow your connection down. If you have 10g data and 10g streaming on your plan you will actually have 20g worth of streaming using the Mofi.

I love it !!