User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Remove the living room tv before towing?

I’m new to RVing and just picked up a 2019 transcend 27bhs. I have a right hand swing slip mount for the tv in the living room. I was curious if everyone has had any problems with towing with the tv installed or if it SHOULD be removed before towing to prevent the mount from pulling the wall down. Just with the trailer sitting and pushing on the tv some the mount and entertainment center wall the the mount is attached too flexes a lot. I know there is a metal plate behind the tv mount that the screws grab onto but it seems like the plate isn’t mounted to any kind of structure of any kind other than being glued to the back of the wood. I currently have the TV set up to prevent it from separating from the mount by using long screws, but if it’s recommended to remove the tv before travel, I could easily use shorter screws and make the tv removable again. Any advice would be nice.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    First of all, welcome to the forum. We're really glad you could join us. The Transcend product line is pretty new, so there aren't many owners on the forum... Yet.

Hopefully, one of them will weigh in on your question. I will say that Grand Design typically manufactures their units so they can be towed without having to remove mounted items. I'm curious how this one is resolved.

Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Living Rm TV Hold down

I first used a cut down expandable shower rod with a noodle, saw marks on tv after first tow.
    Didn't want to use a strap, was afraid it would scratch too.
    I notice two screws that lined up that held the socket clamp that is suppose to hold the TV. (This is the reason for doing this, big bumps will separate TV from wall).
    I unscrewed them and inserted (2)1 inch "L" brackets with legs down. There was just enough horizontal offset for the to miss each other when closed.
    Used a tent peg/stake and bent it so - 1. I could grab it. 2. If it spun/moved/jumped while towing the hook part would grab too.
    Hope this helps.
    Have a great safe camping trip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (at the left side of picture) I first used a cut down expandable shower rod and noodle. But the first trip I saw rub marks on the TV.
    (at the right side of picture) You can see the new way with pin.

On the mount lock, I removed the two opposite screws and placed a 1" L bracket with the leg in a downward position. There was enough TV's weight for the brackets to miss each other when closed.
    I needed pin that would fill the hole as much as possible. I took a tent peg/stake and bent it, leaving the hook so if the pin bounced and moved while traveling it wouldn't fall out.
    I hope this helps.