User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are Older 5th Wheels Gone??

This is just a comment/thought/observation.......

In my part time job (pays for the moonshine and my other vices), I travel the interstate highways and, naturally, 5th wheels catch my eye. Over a period of time, it's been my observation that probably 6 outta 10 5th wheels are new or very close to new. I'm sure there's folks that take really good care of their rig, but what I'm talking about is pretty obviously newer rigs - i.e. full body paint, etc. Those obviously 5 to 7 year old rigs are few and far between.

In contrast.....I think I'm seeing a trend in the reduction of Class A/C motorhomes. To be sure, I still see, up & down I-95, motorhomes that are very nice (new??), but they are generally out-numbered by the plethora (sorry - I just love that word) of newer 5th wheels. And the Class A/C's tend to be upper high end units (sorry......but I just love those Jayco Seneca's. I think it's my big rig 18-wheeler driver fantasy). Anyhow......

I'm far from being a market analyst, but I think there's some there there? Yes/no/? Or has the meds my Doc has prescribed lately gotten me thinking something that's there is not there? Seriously though.....has anyone thought that folks are moving away from motorhomes??

Tom
    Last edited by GENESIS; 04-18-2019 at 06:42 PM.
    Tom & Donna
    Our RV: 2016 Reflection 337RLS 5th wheel
    Our Tow Beast: 2017 Ram 3500 Limited Dually
    Our Dogs: Sadie & Bugsey
    Favorite Drink: Moonshine
    Nationality: Redneck
    My Motto: May the bridges we burn light the way

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They have an expiration date with a self destruct mode....

Jim
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 04-18-2019 at 06:59 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im guessing that people that can afford to travel can afford a newer rig. Many affordable ones stay parked in seasonals and the affordable motor homes probably aren't ones you'd want to drive far.
    Probably not the case all around but most likely a fair assumption.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Andrew in the Burgh
    2015 Reflection 317RST...Auction Rebuild

See Thread Here:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...795#post145795

2016 F350 CCLB DRW 6.7

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consumer debt, non housing, has been setting records. Everyone that wants a new one has one and many are paying for them over 20 years.
    Last edited by Aridon; 04-18-2019 at 07:20 PM.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a lot of the times when one trades in on a new one the used one goes into a permanent site or folks that just travel local. A lot of campgrounds we frequent have "older" rv's.
    And I think as mentioned above they are easier to buy , pay attention to autos driving down the road , very seldom do you see a 10 year old vehicle any more , same reason , easier to buy.

Brian

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And many RV parks don't allow rigs older than 10 years old.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    And many RV parks don't allow rigs older than 10 years old.
    Do you have to show your title or registration?
    2019 Transcend 26rls
    2010 Nissan Titan w full tow package
    Rich & Sharon

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy-b View Post
    The places that I've gone to that have this policy have not. They just look out the window. I think it's in place to keep the older rigs that are falling apart out of the park.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine likes MH, we prefer TT. We have had lots of discussions about it. Motor Homes (good ones) are so expensive to purchase and repair. We like the independence of having our Ram 1 ton. And unloaded it gets @ 20 mpg, 10 mpg loaded. Motor homes are quite a bit lower on mpg. Its debatable on the quality of the trucks for the big 3 but maybe they have a better track record than RVs. On the other hand would you rather have a whole drive train under your Grand Design 5th wheel? You gotta pull something either way.

We laid out approx $130 grand total for our Solitude and the Ram 1 Ton. I am not sure what that would equate to in the motor home world. I do like the value equation better on my 1 Ton pickup more than a motor home. Also I can fix most things on our 5th wheel myself, not so much on our 1 Ton.
    Yup we could have bad problems with our 5er and lose the use of it, (our insurance covers some stays in a motel) We still have our Ram, but also could lose the use of it too but I don't think as long as we could lose the use of the trailer if something bad went wrong it. Same with a motor home. Either way you are staying with family or in a motel room.

Here in Texas there is another factor - property taxes. The county raised our property taxes again by both increasing the property value AND hitting us with the maximum 10% increase per year. Its been like that for the last 3 years. People are tired of it, So there are now some 30 RV Resorts / Camp Grounds within a 25 mile radius of Bastrop Texas. They are mostly all full and new camp grounds are being built everyday. Old RVs, new RVs and some in between, don't know what they are. Some camp grounds have no age restrictions on RV, most do.
    Old retired people, young people with kids, whole families living close together in a camp ground. Also the weekenders looking for some time away with their weekend cheaper RV. School buses make regular stops in the camp grounds. I suspect it might be the same in other places. Hence the explosion in RV manufacturing. Its getting so bad here in Texas the Legislature is debating a new law that property taxes can only be raised 2.5% max or it goes to the ballot box.

What ever the reason or circumstance, any kind of RV is big right now. As for us, we have accelerated our time table from going fulltime in 1.5 years to under a year. They can shove their property taxes right up their ###, someone else can pay to build another 70 million $ school with 3 gymnasiums for spoiled brats that can't keep their pants up, another football stadium, another convention center that nobody uses.
    We are out-a-here!
    Last edited by Steven@147; 04-19-2019 at 09:42 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy-b View Post
    Some parks we've been at have asked to see registration papers for our rig. Others not. Almost all parks we've stayed at have the "no older than 10 years" statement in their paperwork.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast