User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENESIS View Post
    This is just a comment/thought/observation.......

In my part time job (pays for the moonshine and my other vices), I travel the interstate highways and, naturally, 5th wheels catch my eye. Over a period of time, it's been my observation that probably 6 outta 10 5th wheels are new or very close to new. I'm sure there's folks that take really good care of their rig, but what I'm talking about is pretty obviously newer rigs - i.e. full body paint, etc. Those obviously 5 to 7 year old rigs are few and far between.

In contrast.....I think I'm seeing a trend in the reduction of Class A/C motorhomes. To be sure, I still see, up & down I-95, motorhomes that are very nice (new??), but they are generally out-numbered by the plethora (sorry - I just love that word) of newer 5th wheels. And the Class A/C's tend to be upper high end units (sorry......but I just love those Jayco Seneca's. I think it's my big rig 18-wheeler driver fantasy). Anyhow......

I'm far from being a market analyst, but I think there's some there there? Yes/no/? Or has the meds my Doc has prescribed lately gotten me thinking something that's there is not there? Seriously though.....has anyone thought that folks are moving away from motorhomes??

Tom
    Tom - your observations are right on based on what I have read over the years. The 2008 hit on the economy took its toll hard on the RV industry. It did not start rebounding until 2013ish thus fewer newer RVs of any type (particularly new) were being sold between 2008 and 2013ish. Dealers and others also really took a hit on higher unit (class As) repos which until 2008 had solid sales. Financing both retail and floor planning also all but dried up.

During the rebound a number of dealers decided to (or they could not due to financial challenges) not get back into higher end As/other RVs instead to focus on selling trailers of which they could stock 2, 3, 4, or more units relative to one higher end unit. Buyers were struggling with credit and down payments needed for the pricier units thus this seemed to make sense.

Then there is the higher maintenance costs of owning a motorized unit which was always there but became more front and center in the last several years. Adding in the fact that with a motorized many folks had to purchase another vehicle to get around, selling and buying trailers seems more palatable. Many folks who enjoy the great outdoors already owned a tow vehicle.

Wealth accumulation and a strong economy in recent years may be putting the pricier units (class As/other) back on the table. Stay tuned.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Rolling Along
    Walthourville, GA which is just outside of Hinesville, GA home of the 3rd Infantry Division
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by livinthelife View Post
    And many RV parks don't allow rigs older than 10 years old.
    Sheesh......I hope "they" don't start applying that logic to us RV owners. I'm waaaaaaaaay over ten years old. LOL

Tom
    Tom & Donna
    Our RV: 2016 Reflection 337RLS 5th wheel
    Our Tow Beast: 2017 Ram 3500 Limited Dually
    Our Dogs: Sadie & Bugsey
    Favorite Drink: Moonshine
    Nationality: Redneck
    My Motto: May the bridges we burn light the way

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    The places that I've gone to that have this policy have not. They just look out the window. I think it's in place to keep the older rigs that are falling apart out of the park.

I just got a sweet deal on this second hand beauty from cousin Eddy. I'll need to find a place that will accept it.

https://img.etsystatic.com/il/244f45....jpg?version=0

Jim
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This beast was at tropical palms.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20181015_164957.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	19493

If I had seen the owner I'd have asked to peek inside. I'd love to convert something as a side project and stick it on my lot in season. Just to see the look on my neighbor's face.
    Last edited by Aridon; 04-19-2019 at 10:26 PM.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    I just got a sweet deal on this second hand beauty from cousin Eddy. I'll need to find a place that will accept it.

https://img.etsystatic.com/il/244f45....jpg?version=0

Jim
    When did you get the tenement on wheels?
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday took a look on craig's list Austin surrounding area. There are a lot of motor homes on there, some older but most newer. And what the asking price was for the newer 5+ year motor homes was still way more than our truck and TT. Also there are a lot of TT. Of the @ 600 postings there were less than a hand full of GD units. Most TT were forest river. Just found it interesting.

My Son-In-Law who lives up in Ohio, bought an older 2008-10 don't know for sure, Big Country 5er. It had a lot of water damage from leaks. Got it cheap, tore out all the bad stuff and its rebuilding the damaged area. Still looks really dated but he's done a real good job. It will be great for them. And he has far less invested than we have if you don't count his labor of love. But I wouldn't want to do it.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to FMCA (family motor coach) the average age of Class A that are registered are 2007 model year. A Class that looks like just few years old could easily 10 to 15 old. The most sought after Class A’s are pre DEF and are commanding premium pricing.
    Dennis & Ellie
    Current 2017 Newmar Ventana Class A & 1994 Airstream Excella Classic Limited Project
    Sold - 310-GK-R Delivered 28 Oct 2016
    2016 GMC Denali 1 Ton Diesel SRW Payload 3727LBS B&W Hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We saw a lot of older RVs this winter in western Arizona and California. They don't rust there, but most of them are faded.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think a lot of the private resort parks have the 10 yr old rule in place but also want to look at the vehicle to decide. The resort I've stayed at in Spring Tx 3 times has a lot of older diesel pushers there full time that are 15-20 years old but in mint condition. One nice couple from Montana was next to me and they've been full time for 10 yrs in their 20 yr old pusher and it looks new. I feel that if you take good care of it and it looks nice they won't turn down your money.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12