User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norcold 2118SS Refrigerator L1 Op Fault

A couple of weeks ago our fridge got the famous L1 oP fault code. This code is triggered when the Temperature Monitor indicates that the boiler of the refrigerator is overheated. But, this module is known to have false alarms and the module can be "reset" by placing a magnet to the right of the red LED on the module. So, I did the magnet reset routine and it worked. The fault code went away and the refrigerator cooled as it should.
    Then the other day I got the same L1 oP fault code again. Only then the magnet reset failed. I could not reset the module.
    The Temperature Module and its associated sensor, monitors the temperature of the "boiler" in the refrigerator. If the temperature of the boiler raises too high, the sensor input to the module will shut down the refrigerator. This is a high temperature cutoff to protect the RV from a fire caused by an out of control boiler temperature. So a working module is very important.
    So I called Norcold service. I explained my situation t them. I also let them know that I had a #634677 Temperature Monitor module in my 2118SS refrigerator. I was informed that a #634677 module was not the correct module for a 2118SS and that part number was intended to be used for another model of Norcold refrigerator. In spite of that, Norcold refused to supply me with the correct module because my fridge is out of warranty.
    OK, be that way. But, I needed to get my fridge working ASAP and I did not have time to waste on this. So, I asked them what was the correct module I should have in my 2118SS. They informed me that I should have a #637360 . OK, then. I went on a mission and sure enough Amazon had the #637360 module for $89.31. So I ordered it. In the process I learned that #637360 is not a module, but it is a kit. Included in that kit is a #634677 module AND a #634678 temperature sensor and power wires to install the module.
    Hmmm....Norcold told me I had the wrong module and I needed a different one. But, what they did not know about their own equipment was that I really did have the correct module to start with and they were confused that it was part of a kit that had a different number.
    I received that new KIT and it had instructions about it and I was able to replace both the temperature sensor and the Temperature Monitor module. This restored the refrigerator to a working condition. Last night I started it and set the SetPoint to 4. Overnight it cooled normally and this morning the freezer is 16 degrees and the refrigerator is 34 degrees. This is as cold as it ever has got, so all is well.
    The L1 oP fault code does occur rarely and randomly. Some have reported that it occurs after a hard rain or after the outside bottom vent is hit with a stream of water when washing the RV. No matter, the L1 oP fault code is a serious code that needs to be respected. Resetting it with the magnet once a year might be considered OK. But, any more frequently and it should have a deeper dive to troubleshoot it.
    A word of caution is to not get "used" to nuisance L1 oP faults and routinely reset them with a magnet. If in doubt, replace it or consult with an RV tech (i.e. dealer) if this kind of work is outside of your technical skills.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190418_192710.jpg   IMG_20190418_192502.jpg   IMG_20190418_192630.jpg   20160417_140945.jpg  
    Peggy and Jamey Matheny
    2016 Grand Design Solitude 5th Wheel 369RL Serial #G1104808
    As of 19 April 2019, 792 nights and 23,887 trailer miles.
    2015 Ford F-250 4X4 Super Cab SRW 148" WB 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also had the dreaded Li OP code after a hard rain. Little did I know what the code was or that NO ONE has them available.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the dreaded L1-oP code after a heavy thunderstorm. Thankfully an internet search sent me to Tractor Supply for a strong magnet. That saved the day. I left the magnet in the compartment in case it happens again but it has been a few months now.
    2019 Ford F-350 Limited
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your message. I had the exact same issue and found what I thought was the replacement part for the assembly and came across the same think that you found that I bought the exact same assembly that was already in the refrig. I've since then changed it out and all is working fine. I was able to get the magnet trick to work as well as I waited for the replacement part. I guess only time will tell if it keeps working.