User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Dang it--why couldn't I find that? Thanks, Rob. (Price for that PowerBar reflects the capability, doesn't it. Wow....)
    "Price for that PowerBar" has nothing to do with it's capability . . . it is a "boat part" . . . these are always three times more expensive than they should be .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Howard,

Here is a 600A four post bussbar. https://www.bluesea.com/products/210...3_8in-16_Studs.

Rob
    That's a heavy duty looking buss bar. Had I had it to do over, this looks like a better choice than what I used. I would get the optional cover to protect from accidental terminal contact.
    Peggy and Jamey Matheny
    2016 Grand Design Solitude 5th Wheel 369RL Serial #G1104808
    As of 19 April 2019, 792 nights and 23,887 trailer miles.
    2015 Ford F-250 4X4 Super Cab SRW 148" WB 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    The posts on the Battle Born battery are not standard battery posts. In addition, their connectors are recessed so it is impossible to connect a lug at a 90 degree angle. The best that can be done is about a 45.

Battle Born makes a terminal adapter that for six of the eight connections (four batteries x 2 terminals = 8 connections) will work. But I'd have to replace the connector lugs on all the wires I've built with battery cable connectors.

Attachment 19464

For the last two connections the problem is I need to tie together four lugs. Three are 2/0 lugs from the other batteries and one is the 4/0 lub (cable) going to the inverter. I can use a Battle Born terminal adapter and then a mil-spec battery terminal kit, but there's now THREE connections between the lugs and the actual battery connection.

First, here's the mil-spec battery connector:

Attachment 19465

Here's what I mean by three connections:

Attachment 19466

In contrast to the three connections as shown above, the current setup has one connection per lug. In other words, the lug is connected right to the Battle Born battery's connector. The issue is the two connections (one positive and one negative) with the multiple lugs is *ugly* and very hard to put together.

So here's the options as I see them (chime in if there are more):

Option 1: Stop your crying, Howard. Don't worry that it doesn't look good and once the multiple lugs are connected it's done, right? Pros: Nothing needed. Cons: Looks bad, no protection for terminal covers, hard to remove or install the multiple-connected batteries if needed.

Option 2: Buy all the bits and pieces including the Battle Born Terminal Adapters and Fastronix Military Spec Battery Terminal Top Post Kit. Pros: Will look good when completed, terminals are covered, easy to remove or install connections. Cons: $$, added weight, multiple-points of contact between 2/0 and 4/0 wiring to the battery terminal (possible points of corrosion, resistance, etc).

Option 3: Buy Fastronix 3/8" Stainless Steel Single Stud Power and Ground Junction Blocks, Red and Black. Leave the single lug-to-battery terminal connections as they are. Connect the multiple-lug connections to the Fastronix blocks (which will require another cable from the battery to the lug). Pros: Easy to install and remove cables, not too expensive Cons: Two (one red, one black) small components that I'll have to figure out where to install in the small space I'm using. I may have to remake a few of the 2/0 cables.

Attachment 19467

Truly appreciate some feedback or pictures of how you've wired your Battle Born batteries in parallel.
    I'd go with option 3... It is a cleaner install and it involves fewer additional parts.

The large cable sizes required is one of the drawbacks of sticking with a 12 volt system with such a large Inverter (I assume you are using a 3000 watt inverter). Sometimes it is better to use a 24 volt battery bank and use a simple DC to DC converter to supply the coach with 12 volt power.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123