User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another Atwood water problem!

First of all I have a 2017 303RLS. So went camping last weekend, first trip of the year. I had tank heater pads put on in January though. So this weekend the water heater would work perfectly on propane but not on electricity. Yesterday I put in a new electric heating element, which was cheap but a royal PIA. Still no hot water on electricity. I’ve checked wiring as best I could. Is replacing the power pack/control board next?

Thanks.
    "Never give up, Never slow down, Never grow old, Never ever die young"
    (James Taylor)

2019 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2012 GMC 2500HD
    B&W Turnover ball
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending which model water heater, could be a bad relay. Easy way to check would be to see if you have power going to the heating element. Atwood has a troubleshooting guide in their user manual. It's fairly easy to follow with a meter.

Just to be safe, is the power switch for the water heater itself in the on position? I'm referring to the one that is physically on the front of the water heater.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also check the circuit breaker on the power panel. Our Atwood does not have a switch on the outside of the heater. There is a reset button above the heating element I believe.

Brian

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct my Atwood does not have a switch on the outside. The receptacle it is plugged into behind the cabinet has power. Where is that reset button? My Atwood is covered with a styrofoam cover for insulation. Nervous about opening it.
    (James Taylor)

2012 GMC 2500HD
    B&W Turnover ball
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple system when using electric. Schematic is on page 14 of this manual http://www.rvrepairmanual.com/manual...er-Heaters.pdf

Trace where you lost 110 vac from element, ECO (high temp limit, thermostat etc.

Here’s a YouTube video that may help you. https://youtu.be/uYzqP2BFrMk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6A40A40C-2735-4113-87EE-C56236C59998.jpeg  
    Last edited by Jerryr; 04-19-2019 at 11:10 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reset button should be behind the piece of foam tape under the pressure relief valve where the connections for the electric heating element are.
    Also check these 4 connections to make sure they are clean and tight.

Brian

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. I’ll check this.
    (James Taylor)

2012 GMC 2500HD
    B&W Turnover ball
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Captain Skippy,
    My electric water heater also quit working. I’ve checked everything else, replaced the control board, etc. and have narrowed it down to the heating element. You said it was a PIA. Could you please explain exactly how you went about it? On the 303 Reflection I know I have to go in to the pass through storage area and remove the wall, but it looks like the furnace is blocking the way to the water heater. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As well as I remember there are two ways to get there. One is from the pass thru and the other is behind the cabinet in the kitchen. It’s hard to reach but it’s possible. Drain the water heater from outside but Have a shop vac handy when you remove the heating element. Water will come out. You can use a multi tester to check the existing element. Also pay attention to the wiring sequence. Good luck!
    (James Taylor)

2012 GMC 2500HD
    B&W Turnover ball
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very disappointing to hear how hard it is to change the heating element on the Atwood heater. As a note of encouragement to those with the Suburban heater; I had to change the element on my Suburban heater and it is less than a 30 minute job taking your time doing it. Just make sure you have this (or equivalent): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast