Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hot water heater

I need to replace the anode rod. Do I have to drain the complete system to do so? If not, how to I refill the hw tank? Afraid of turning it on w/o hot water in it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabervin View Post
    I need to replace the anode rod. Do I have to drain the complete system to do so? If not, how to I refill the hw tank? Afraid of turning it on w/o hot water in it.
    wannabervin,
    To ensure your post is seen by individuals with the right skill set, I moved this thread to the Plumbing and Water Systems section.

In addition, filling out your signature line with the year and model of your trailer (see mine below as one possible example) will make it much easier to get you the help you want. Either that, or edit your post to include that info.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You do not need to drain the whole system but draining the hot water tank will drain most of it.
    Use caution when doing this.
    I would turn off hot water heater , both gas and electric. If you can inside RV turn on hot water at a tap and let run until you get cold water, this will ensure that there is little to no hot water in tank.
    When this is done turn off water supply to RV and turn on a tap inside the trailer , both hot and cold , to relieve pressure then turn tap off.
    Back outside at the water heater go ahead and unscrew the anode rod at the bottom of the tank , you will get some water when you remove this. At this time you can open the pressure relief valve at the top of the heater and this will drain the hot water heater. Add some Teflon tape to your new anode rod threads , about a wrap or two and install the new rod. Put the pressure relief valve back in the closed position. Turn on the water supply and go inside and turn on a hot water tap, you will get air and maybe some spray , after you get a full stream of water you tank should be full and ready to be turned back on.

Brian

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Brian. Only done this a couple of times, so it’s not permanently embedded in memory yet.