Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th Wheel hitch maintenance?

Is there any maintenance required or suggested on the 5th wheel hitch?

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabervin View Post
    Is there any maintenance required or suggested on the 5th wheel hitch?
    The specifics depend on which hitch you have, but any sliding or rotating fits should be greased, including the jaws to the pin.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob is right, it depends on the hitch manufacturer. I use the Companion RVK3600 and besides keeping the jaws greased, there is one grease fitting to lube and you have to put some lithium grease on the top of the arms the head sets on. However I found an additional lube requirement that Companion does not address. The large center pin that that goes down through the head, jaws and bottom of the head. This pin becomes galled in its bore from moisture and becomes stiff turning so the jaws and lock arm don't want to move freely. I purchased my hitch used and the lock arm was stiff rotating. When I backed onto the pin the jaws and lock arm would not fully close by themselves even though there is a spring to help, I had to grab the lock arm and fully close it. Some liberal use of spray penetrating lubricant on this pin frees up the movement. Now when I back onto the pin the jaws and lock arm fully close and all I have to do is insert the lock arm pin (pad lock).

i have heard that in some cases owners have had to get the pin pressed out, had the bores and pin cleaned, lubricated and reassembled to fully free up the mechanism. I believe Companion has some information out on it now.
    Of course I check the torque on the assembly bolts to make sure they stay tight.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 04-23-2019 at 10:10 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel