User Tag List

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Batteries and storage

My first posting. And we are only two day old owners of a 2018 Solitude 310GK. We own it long enough to put in storage in AZ (inside/covered) until fall. I've been told it has a "smart" charger and I can top off battery water levels and leave it plugged in to 110 outlet to keep batteries charged. I've also been told to not plug it in and disconnect at Negative post. Right now I feel like I'm drinking from a fire hose of information and orientation to the unit. BUT, we look forward to using it in the future. It is a beautiful coash. I'm sure I will lean on longer owners, smarter people in this forum for help and advice. And we look forward to attending a summer rally down the road a bit. Thanks, Jerry

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Jerry, welcome to the forum, and congrats on the new rig. Both answers are technically correct. If you can drop by the coach on a routine basis to check the water levels, that is a perfectly fine way to proceed. Even easier is just disconnecting the negative battery cable. It's important to disconnect the cable because many coaches still have some minor loads connected if you just shut off the battery disconnect switch.

Another option is to switch the batteries to either AGM or lithium which are completely maintenance free. If you have those, you can stay plugged in.

Happy travels.

Jim

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Jim. We are in Yuma, AZ at the moment and will not be able to check the battery water levels as we are soon heading to the NW. So, I think it best to disconnect the neg. cable. Thanks again. Jerry

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Opp View Post
    My first posting. And we are only two day old owners of a 2018 Solitude 310GK. We own it long enough to put in storage in AZ (inside/covered) until fall. I've been told it has a "smart" charger and I can top off battery water levels and leave it plugged in to 110 outlet to keep batteries charged. I've also been told to not plug it in and disconnect at Negative post. Right now I feel like I'm drinking from a fire hose of information and orientation to the unit. BUT, we look forward to using it in the future. It is a beautiful coash. I'm sure I will lean on longer owners, smarter people in this forum for help and advice. And we look forward to attending a summer rally down the road a bit. Thanks, Jerry
    What Jim said!

What I'll add is if you choose to disconnect the battery (negative terminal), turn the battery disconnect off first (key will remove).

The Reflection manual says to turn off the battery disconnect and remove the battery cable. (I bet your Solitude is the same.)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)