User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let the Adventure Begin

My wife and I have been retired for at least 5 years. We've been wintering in Yuma. We are growing tired of maintaining a big house in the NW. Our plan was to downsize, get a newer truck and a 5th wheel and start traveling more along with our winters in Yuma. Our 5th wheel research had landed us on a Solitude 310GK.
    We figured on getting one in the next year or two at the end of the downsizing, selling the big house process. Our plan took a twist when we stumbled across a fairly close, hardly used 2018 310GK for a price that was very fair considering the extras the seller had added and the close proximity. We are trying to accelerate our transition. We are soon on our way home and will start sorting, discarding and giving away stuff and at some point list the house for sale. Don't even have a truck to pull it yet. Was considering a 2020 Chevy or GMC 2500HD, diesel, 4x4, crew cab, standard bed, SRW. Don't know anything about hitches but want the puck system. We are excited about the future. At the moment I'm a bit overwhelmed with manuals and systems. The important thing right now is preparing for storing and storing the unit (inside/covered). At age 70 we figure we have 10 good years of adventures left in us. I've already been helped today in another post regarding battery care. I think this forum will be invaluable to a Newbie. Some years back we had a 24 foot travel trailer, so we are not total novices but still have a lot to learn about thi individual unit. Thanks to all who contribute their advice, experiences and knowledge. We are looking forward to attending a rally at some point. Happy trails. Jerry

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK... I'll say it. You'll want a 1-ton truck SRW minimum for the 310GK. You will be over the payload for the rear axle of the 2500HD with diesel and 4x4.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    OK... I'll say it. You'll want a 1-ton truck SRW minimum for the 310GK. You will be over the payload for the rear axle of the 2500HD with diesel and 4x4.

Rob
    Glad you said it Rob

...and welcome to the forum Jerry!
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob, I will check the numbers before buying. I agree the Chevy numbers up to 2019 for 3/4 and 1 ton seem marginal. But the info on the 2020 Chevy and GMC indicate a huge jump in towing capacity and my guess payload as well. But, I will be sure to have some margin. I don't want to be driving around overloaded or even close to it. The brochure for our GD shows 15,000 towing and something under 3K for hitch weight. Jerry

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Opp View Post
    Thanks Rob, I will check the numbers before buying. I agree the Chevy numbers up to 2019 for 3/4 and 1 ton seem marginal. But the info on the 2020 Chevy and GMC indicate a huge jump in towing capacity and my guess payload as well. But, I will be sure to have some margin. I don't want to be driving around overloaded or even close to it. The brochure for our GD shows 15,000 towing and something under 3K for hitch weight. Jerry
    That "something under 3K for hitch weight" is empty. Our Reflection 337RLS (GVWR 13,990) comes in with over 3,000 lbs. pin weight loaded (per the scales). The Solitude is heavier. A diesel drive train is heavy and 4WD subtracts even more from the available payload. There are plenty of forum members who have joined the "Two-Timers Club" because they started out with a 3/4-ton truck and a heavy fifth wheel. It's an expensive way to go when the cost difference between a SRW 1-ton and a 3/4-ton is negligible up front - and you have to buy a truck anyway.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry and wife.
    Welcome to the forum , glad to have you here.
    I have a 15' Chevy 1 ton single wheel long bed diesel , payload 3661# , Solitude 310 with this truck full time living will be close , 2500 I think will be to light , not sure what the 2020's will bring. Being as you are storing this for a while I would recommend unhooking the battery , also having covered storage if the trailer has vent covers you could leave the roof vents open a little to allow air circulation.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats welcome from Wv
    NAVY 1980-1984
    2022 Reflection 337 RLS
    2023 GMC SierraDenali 2500 HD
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I have been retired for at least 5 years. We've been wintering in Yuma. We are growing tired of maintaining a big house in the NW. Our plan was to downsize, get a newer truck and a 5th wheel and start traveling more along with our winters in Yuma. Our 5th wheel research had landed us on a Solitude 310GK.
    We figured on getting one in the next year or two at the end of the downsizing, selling the big house process. Our plan took a twist when we stumbled across a fairly close, hardly used 2018 310GK for a price that was very fair considering the extras the seller had added and the close proximity. We are trying to accelerate our transition. We are soon on our way home and will start sorting, discarding and giving away stuff and at some point list the house for sale. Don't even have a truck to pull it yet. Was considering a 2020 Chevy or GMC 2500HD, diesel, 4x4, crew cab, standard bed, SRW. Don't know anything about hitches but want the puck system. We are excited about the future. At the moment I'm a bit overwhelmed with manuals and systems. The important thing right now is preparing for storing and storing the unit (inside/covered). At age 70 we figure we have 10 good years of adventures left in us. I've already been helped today in another post regarding battery care. I think this forum will be invaluable to a Newbie. Some years back we had a 24 foot travel trailer, so we are not total novices but still have a lot to learn about thi individual unit. Thanks to all who contribute their advice, experiences and knowledge. We are looking forward to attending a rally at some point. Happy trails. Jerry
    Jerry,
    If you haven't seen it yet, check out the Reference Library post on matching your truck to a trailer. Might be something useful for you in the thread.

How To Determine Your Truck's Trailer Towing Capability
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ing-Capability

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not bashing your decision. We have and F-250 diesel and absolutely loved the 337. Bottom line when we crunched numbers, our 3/4 ton truck was not enough.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jerry... welcome to the forum.

I am probably the newest member of the 3/4 ton to 1 ton upgrade club. I had a 3/4 ton GMC 6.0L gas model that was only marginal pulling the 337 RLS. Loaded for a short camping trip, CAT scales showed I was just 80 pounds short of my rear GAWR. Averaged 8.5 MPG on flat southern roads (AL, GA, FL). My 2500 was a strong Gasser but it struggled in the hills.

Last week, I had a low air pressure message for my right rear tire, so I stopped at my GMC dealer to have them look at the tire. While there, I saw a slightly used Silverado 3500 Crew Cab DRW on their used car lot. I drove it, and by the end of the day, I owned it. Traded my 2016 GMC 2500 HD for a 2011 model 3500 HD with only 20,153 miles. Did I say slightly used and only 20,153 miles??? Trade up was $14K, but I think well worth it. ALSO... the 3500 actually rides better than the 2500 empty. Haven't pulled my 5th wheel yet, but we are leaving next Sunday for a short trip. We are really spoiled with four US Army COE campgrounds within 20 miles of our home.

DW says -- now we can go anywhere. I think she is actually excited about the bigger truck.
    David & Sandra
    Honey: 10 year old miniature dachshund
    2018 Reflection 337 RLS (Mfg date: 07/24/2017)
    2011 Chevy Silverado "LTZ" 3500 HD
    4x4 Crew Cab DRW 6.6L Duramax LML/Allison
    Payload sticker: 4875#
    Curt Q20 Hitch w/ R20 Slider

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast