User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Grand Designs warranty worth $9000?

We have an opportunity to purcjase a used 2018 bh for 9000 less than a new 2019 BH. The 2018 is in great shape and only had 2 small warranty claims in its life. Is it worth 9000 bucks to buy the new one for the warranty?

Thanks

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a tuff decision and even harder for someone to give a suggestion. I would call GD and ask exactly what warranty transfers to the second owner and make a decision from there.

Brian

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^^^ There are certain things in the warranty that do't transfer to a second owner. I would find out first what you will lose and then decide from there.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only GD 12 month is transferable...not the 3 yr structural or roof. That's a good point though, i wonder of the individual warranties such as dometic are transferable or usable.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might be able to purchase an extended warranty for less than $9K. These are notorious for being difficult to collect on . . . so shop carefully. The often referenced “roof warranty” is material only. A small fraction of the cost of replacing a roof membrane.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on how handy the OP is, if it were me as long as the used camper checks out I’d happily save the $9k. Have the camper inspected by an independent technician first, if it checks out ok & you’ve owned a camper before AND don’t mind fixing small items then go for it.

We looked for used & missed out on two quality units which would have allowed us to get the bigger camper under budget, after missing those we realized how few quality used Grand Design campers are out there. Seems like most owners are extremely happy with theirs vs the competition, tons of used campers in my market with very few GD’s available.
    2019 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.2L/3.73 gearing
    2015 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L - previous
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its certainly a roll of the dice. November will be 3 years of ownership for me and I can say I have not used $9000 worth of warranty claims. Every unit is different though, some are perfect, some have an unusual high amount of issues, some have some minor things here and there. Might be worthwhile to pay a certified RV inspector to go over the used unit and make a decision based off the outcome.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    See if you can get the dealer down to the used units price. I used that as a haggling aide.

A rolling stone....we're in Tucson, Az. now.
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my Momentum six months "used" from a private party. I called the dealership that he bought from "new" and they told me that the factory warranty is not transferrable. However, I firmly believe in "verify and confirm" (especially when it's an RV dealership talking to me!) so I called Grand Design directly and they assured me that the factory warranty is transferrable. Keep in mind that the dealership wants to sell you one of their units. The GD factory had the warranty changed into my name within a day of me sending them all the paperwork that they'd asked for.

The seven year extended warranty was also transferrable however, the seller had to initiate that transfer.

In short, I always suggest buying late model "used" and let somebody else take that depreciation hit. However, I would suggest getting it inspected by an RV inspector that is certified with NRVIA.... https://nrvia.org/locate/
    Last edited by JCZhome; 04-21-2019 at 02:50 PM.
    SOLD my 2017 Momentum 376TH being pulled by a 2014 Ford F-350 Lariat, FX-4, Crew Cab, Longbed, Dually. Not pulling the 5er, catch me on my 2013 CVO Harley Ultra Classic.

Map = states that we've stayed at least one night in our RV.

http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/AR...TNTXUTWYsm.jpg

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If someone was selling what I was looking for at the right price then I wouldn't hesitate to buy used.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast