User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I should have mentioned in some of my other replies to your posts: welcome and it's good to see you're asking questions about what many here feel are important questions.

Can you give us a little more background about your F250? Is it newer or older? Does it have a fifthwheel or gooseneck package in it already? How's the actual payload rating? Is it a short bed or long bed?

How about the fifthwheel you'll be pulling? Is it heavy? Is it a Reflection 150 series? What kinds of things are you looking for in a hitch? Will it stay in the truck? Do you care if its heavy? Do you want a flat bed in the truck when not towing? Is ride quality something you're after? How about price?

All of these things can help narrow down a hitch for you. I personally love my rail version Andersen ultimate hitch. Does absolutely everything I want it to do. For me it was reasonably priced. If I had to choose something different I'd consider a Reese Goosebox. It seems so simple and easy. B&W makes a great hitch. I think that was the most used hitch on this forum if I recall the poll numbers correctly.

Give us some more info and we'd be glad to help you further.
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Man thats like asking what is the best beer (Shiner Bock)

I have a Reese Titan R20 which is very solid. Neighbor has the B&W, also an excellent hitch. Both can be equipped with sliders. Are you wanting to use the turning point feature, if so, both hitches can use the wedges. Shop around on pricing as the dealer price may not be the best. Also does you tow vehicle have a puck system, or are you going to need to add rails or other adapter. As said before a few more details would help
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a long bed on your truck, your options are many. For me, it came down to the fact that I already had the OEM installed under-bed gooseneck hitch receiver. So I had the dealer replace the 5th-wheel hitch with the the newest Reese goosebox. I love the fact that with very little effort, I have a clean bed whenever I want. The only downside to the goosebox (if one can call it that) is that hitching up takes precision. The hitch and ball need to be almost perfectly aligned for a clean hookup. Towing with the goosebox is a dream, however.
    Holger & Corinne
    Granite Bay, CA

2019 Solitude 310gk w/goosebox conversion
    towed by 2012 Ford F450 Lariat crew cab 4x4
    Bilstein shocks, Air-ride air bags
    2 independent on-board Viair compressors w/2.5 gal. air tank
    Boston Whaler 21' Outrage when not towing 5'er

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S3000T View Post
    One more newbie question...which 5th wheel hitch setup is beat for f250/reflections? Thanks
    I have the Pullrite Superglide in a short (6 3/4') bed truck. There's much I don't like about it - uses most of the truck bed and far too heavy to easily remove from the truck, dirty mess if not regularly cleaned, often-troublesome job to hook when truck and trailer are not on the same level side-to-side, and not inexpensive.

However I like it for what it's supposed to do... prevent me from cranking the trailer into the cab of the truck. I can negotiate into my tight driveway, tight campsites, tight fuel stations, etc. without worry about how much room I have between truck and trailer. The Pullrite moves the trailer back as far as 14" in a tight turn and the trailer misses the cab by just over three inches at that point. It would make quite a mess if it wasn't moved back.

I regularly meet guys who admit they've done that, and I know I'd likely be another one without the auto-slider so I have reluctantly stuck with it.

Good luck with your choice.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gengiant View Post
    If you have a long bed on your truck, your options are many. For me, it came down to the fact that I already had the OEM installed under-bed gooseneck hitch receiver. So I had the dealer replace the 5th-wheel hitch with the the newest Reese goosebox. I love the fact that with very little effort, I have a clean bed whenever I want. The only downside to the goosebox (if one can call it that) is that hitching up takes precision. The hitch and ball need to be almost perfectly aligned for a clean hookup. Towing with the goosebox is a dream, however.
    You know I don't think I have seen this question asked. Will the Reese goose box work with a short bed truck? I was wondering if it sets the front of the trailer back further than the normal king pin. Just curious Want to give the OP another option.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    You know I don't think I have seen this question asked. Will the Reese goose box work with a short bed truck? I was wondering if it sets the front of the trailer back further than the normal king pin. Just curious Want to give the OP another option.
    Using the goosebox with a short bed truck, you absolutely will have cab clearance issues. No such thing as a sliding goose hitch receiver, AFAIK. And because the goose hitch receiver we're talking about is under-bed mount, there may be limited or no OEM options as to the location of the under-mount. Lastly, one of the keys to safe towing is weight distribution. If one were to move the load point of the hitch to the rear of the axle of the truck, the entire weight distribution symmetry (and thus tow rating) would be out of whack.
    Holger & Corinne
    Granite Bay, CA

2019 Solitude 310gk w/goosebox conversion
    towed by 2012 Ford F450 Lariat crew cab 4x4
    Bilstein shocks, Air-ride air bags
    2 independent on-board Viair compressors w/2.5 gal. air tank
    Boston Whaler 21' Outrage when not towing 5'er

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Using the goosebox with a short bed truck, you absolutely will have cab clearance issues. No such thing as a sliding goose hitch receiver, AFAIK. And because the goose hitch receiver we're talking about is under-bed mount, there may be limited or no OEM options as to the location of the under-mount. Lastly, one of the keys to safe towing is weight distribution. If one were to move the load point of the hitch to the rear of the axle of the truck, the entire weight distribution symmetry (and thus tow rating) would be out of whack.
    Excellent information

Thanks
    Keith

2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is my experience which is going on 11 years with 2 fifth wheel trailers. My first tow truck was a 2007 Chev 2500(6.5). My first trailer was a Triple E 31 ft. My first hitch was a Reese Elite 18K manual slider. I never used the slider but had to watch closely several times in tight spots. I traded the 2500 for a 2012 Chev. 3500 (6.5) and had the Reese installed with under bed rails but never used the slider with the second truck but had to watch closely several times in tight spots. The Reese was easy to unhook but was noisy. I traded the 2012 for a 2018 Denali 3500 (6.5) with the puck system and found there was no way I could use the Reese hitch. I decided on a Curt 20K without a slider to fit the puck system. I have to watch the back cab corners in tight spots but never needed a slider. The Curt is sometimes hard to unhook but works well for me. Unless you have an auto slide, you would still have to watch the back of the cab when backing into tight spots. If weight is an issue a person could reduce the hitch weight with a lighter system. Bottom line is do lots of research before buying a hitch.
    Last edited by chillybob; 04-22-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With my B&W 4" offset adapter and Reese Goosebox on a 6.5' bed GMC, my distance from rear bumper to trailer is within 1/2" of my original B&W Companion Slider hitch with factory kingpin. I have no clearance issue with a Reflection.
    Dennis
    Dennis and Carolyn, Oregon City, OR
    2019 GD Reflection 337RLS
    Comfort Ride Slipper Spring Suspension with Wheel Alignment
    2015 GMC SLT 2500HD Duramax with 3500HD Rear Springs
    20K Reese Goosebox with B&W 4" Offset Turnover Ball.
    Sold 2016 GD Reflection 303RLS 03/17/2019

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dentil View Post
    With my B&W 4" offset adapter and Reese Goosebox on a 6.5' bed GMC, my distance from rear bumper to trailer is within 1/2" of my original B&W Companion Slider hitch with factory kingpin. I have no clearance issue with a Reflection.
    Dennis
    Seems GD and other manufacturers have realized the issue and provide a swept back sidewalk on the front of 5th,ers. I have never used the slide on my Reese but will do plenty or research before switching to the Goosebox. For sure you want the weight over the axle. Cannot imagine an installer allowing the goose ball being installed rear of that. But then I have been surprised by installers before!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast