User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best 5er hitch setup?

One more newbie question...which 5th wheel hitch setup is beat for f250/reflections? Thanks

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a sliding hitch on my 250. Kinda regret that now as getting the hitch in and out of the bed is literally a pain. 2 person job for sure. Thinking of changing to the Reese Goosebox which will allow me to use the gooseneck ball in the bed thereby freeing up the bed, and avoiding hernias.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Short bed or long bed?
    If you need to conserve weight this will effect the decision as well.
    If you want to remove the hitch often a lighter hitch or one that comes apart in pieces may be good as well.
    I have the Reese Elite with the puck system , a little heavy to remove but I have a clean bed when I do , usually in the bed during camping season unless I need the bed.

Brian

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But does the factory installed GD hitch need a specific type on the bed?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by S3000T View Post
    But does the factory installed GD hitch need a specific type on the bed?
    This depends on what model you are looking at. The 150 series has a turning point pin box , this is not recommended to be used with certain hitches. Other than that I think any hitch should work.

If you are reaching out to a certain post please use the "reply with quote" button as I just did this will help us to know who you are asking and help that person respond.

Brian

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is a short bed which is why i went with the Reese “Companion” sliding hitch. My GD 350 has swept back sides up front so in reality I have never needed to use the slide. Would have saved pounds and $ for sure. I am NOT suggesting you save by going with a non slider as you might well need it with your rig if short bed. This is just my experience.
    As for a special mount for GD. Again my experience is that a standard 5th wheel Reese or other will work.
    There are lots of videos on YouTube discussing Reese vs Anderson etc. My choice was to go beefy. Again not saying other brands are better or worse but as this is the only thing holding my 13,000lb rig to my truck, beefy just seemed better to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a short bed a slider hitch would be best if you don't mind the weight of the hitch. It is not easy to install/remove these hitches as they are heavy. With that being said, we have a F350 Short Bed and use a normal B&W Companion (non-slider) which is a very popular and an excellent hitch. I wanted to be able to remove the hitch easily myself and wanted a heavy duty hitch as well(not an Anderson Ultimate). We are extremely happy with our B&W Companion.

The downside is you have to be careful backing up with a non-slider since you could hit the cab. Our street/driveway are narrow and close to a 90 degree back in so I typically do 3-4 point back ups when bringing the trailer to our house. I think with a slider it would be easier and wouldn't have this issue. I just take my time when I bring the trailer home.

PS: Not trying to start another AUH debate as I know many people are happy with them. Just wasn't a hitch we wanted to use with the ongoing debate.
    Damon and Colleen
    2019 Ford F350 CC SB 6.7 FX4 Platinum
    5th Wheel Prep Puck System
    B&W Companion Non-Slider
    BAKFlip MX4 Tonneau Cover

2019 Reflection 28BH
    Progessive EMS-HW50C

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One more newbie question...which 5th wheel hitch setup is beat for f250/reflections? Thanks
    I have a RAM 2500. Not sure if it's a short bed or mid-length. It's not the long bed. I went with the B&W Companion. It was installed in the middle position and the hitch is directly over the rear wheels. I can do a 180 turn in an intersection without coming close to crashing the cab. It's the backups turns you have to be careful. Keep in mind that if you're almost crashing the cab, you're pushing the tires sideways and not rolling them. The hitch can be removed in two parts so it's manageable. My truck had the factory pucks.
    Tom and Kathy
    Fort Collins, CO
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2016 RAM 2500, 6.7 Turbo Diesel,
    Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Hitch Prep
    B&W Companion Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a F350 short bed. I looked at hitches for a long time and read everything I could find about hitches since I'm new to this. I ruled out the Anderson and auto sliders and chose the B&W Companion Slider. It is heavy but I don't need to remove it since I have a utility trailer for hauling. Not as convenient as using the truck bed at times but the utility trailer has a 6' X 10' bed so more room for larger stuff, mulch etc and has a ramp too.

With the manual slider I will slide it back when backing into my driveway from a somewhat narrow subdivision road and when checking in at the campground. In the rearward position I have more room between the tailgate and the camper and I can duck and walk from side to side between the tailgate and camper. Those fixed hitches and auto sliders (which are in the forward position when truck and trailer are straight) get the tailgate pretty close to the camper. Another advantage is when backing with the slider in the rearward position the pin is close to 12" behind the axle which makes the trailer more responsive to steering inputs closer to what a tow behind does. I'm not saying this setup is for everyone but works for me.
    2019 303RLS Reflection 5th Wheel
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat 4X4 CC/SB/SRW 6.7L Diesel
    B&W Companion Slider Hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best in relative for what you want. We elected to go with a Pullrite Superglide auto slider. No regrets for us. I know several owners who use an Anderson Ultimate. Personal preference
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast