User Tag List

2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plugging over sized opening in the frame

The over sized slide-out rod opening can be an entry point for furry creatures and bugs with wings. After viewing posted fixes on this site I fashioned my fix. With a Moen rubber kit from the hardware store and a tube of rubber/metal glue I cut the rubber and then glued the rubber to the frame over the hole. There is some vertical movement of the rod when bringing in the slide, the rubber flexes enough to hold. Time will tell how well this easy fix works. The glue used is Permatex 5 min. Epoxy Click image for larger version. 

Name:	76C75227-2E40-40F7-9F83-4C3930AF491F.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	19517Click image for larger version. 

ID:	19517
    Last edited by chillybob; 04-21-2019 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Add type of glue

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chillybob View Post
    The over sized slide-out rod opening can be an entry point for furry creatures and bugs with wings. After viewing posted fixes on this site I fashioned my fix. With a Moen rubber kit from the hardware store and a tube of rubber/metal glue I cut the rubber and then glued the rubber to the frame over the hole. There is some vertical movement of the rod when bringing in the slide, the rubber flexes enough to hold. Time will tell how well this easy fix works. The glue used is Permatex 5 min. Epoxy Click image for larger version. 

ID:	19517Click image for larger version. 

ID:	19517

I fixed the opening on my Reflection exactly the same way. Don't know why they couldn't have done that at the factory before shipping. Also lower your spare tire and look at the huge hole there where the cable comes thru the underbelly. I fixed it with a similar patch.
    John and Karyn
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    2020 Reflection 150 Series 295RL

2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are right John, for GD claiming winter ready, the units could be vastly improved for less than couple hundred dollars. On the spare tire area, I closed the hole around the cable with underbelly patch. I then turned over the spare tire so the stem is down and then filled the rim with a few pieces of styrofoam cut to fit the inside of the rim. I cut a grove for the cable in the foam and then raised the spare until the styrofoam inside the rim fit tight against the coroplast.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chillybob View Post
    You are right John, for GD claiming winter ready, the units could be vastly improved for less than couple hundred dollars. On the spare tire area, I closed the hole around the cable with underbelly patch. I then turned over the spare tire so the stem is down and then filled the rim with a few pieces of styrofoam cut to fit the inside of the rim. I cut a grove for the cable in the foam and then raised the spare until the styrofoam inside the rim fit tight against the coroplast.
    Trying to imagine this, in my head. Can you post a photo?

Thanks
    Tom and Janice (known as Tom in PGH on the “other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
    Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
    2019 F350 Lariat (Diesel) 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
    Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
    Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

2018 Reflection 327
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tom
    Attached is a picture. I cut the first 2” piece the inside circumference of the rim to block the opening and then added two pieces on top to protrude slightly above the tire so the foam fits tight against the coroplast when I raise the tire. No air can enter the cable hole as it’s sealed with the foam pressing against the coroplast.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1C4E3FA9-909E-41E8-87E6-84C8391AEEFC.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	19521
    Last edited by chillybob; 04-22-2019 at 10:14 AM.