User Tag List

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raising 5th wheel

I still have the Relection 150 Series 5th wheel on my short list, but still have a concern. I had previously asked about converting to 16" wheels/tires and if there was enough clearance. My reason was so that I could run LT tires. Since then I've read several threads regarding the Goodyear Endurance ST tires and I feel the quality of these may negate the need to consider changing out the 15" wheels that come with the trailer.

But that still leaves the problem of the trailer setting high enough to be level when hooked to my truck, as well as trailer to bedrail clearance.

Without actually hooking up the trailer, the measurements I've taken look like the trailer may set about 2" high in the front when hooked to my Dodge Ram 2500. I can't lower my hitch anymore and if I did it would not give me the clearance I want.

So my question is has anyone done any custom frame work to raise your trailer? I don't like the idea of axle blocks. I do like the Lippert Correct Track system,but it does have a couple of disadvantages. would appreciate your comments.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just took my 2020 Reflection 150 260RD home on my RAM 3500 2011 Crew Cab longbed 4X4) and it ran fairly level with almost 7 inches clearance to the bed rails.

Now that it is loaded, I would expect to run just about perfectly level (will know this weekend- first trip loaded).
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I still have the Relection 150 Series 5th wheel on my short list, but still have a concern. I had previously asked about converting to 16" wheels/tires and if there was enough clearance. My reason was so that I could run LT tires. Since then I've read several threads regarding the Goodyear Endurance ST tires and I feel the quality of these may negate the need to consider changing out the 15" wheels that come with the trailer.

But that still leaves the problem of the trailer setting high enough to be level when hooked to my truck, as well as trailer to bedrail clearance.

Without actually hooking up the trailer, the measurements I've taken look like the trailer may set about 2" high in the front when hooked to my Dodge Ram 2500. I can't lower my hitch anymore and if I did it would not give me the clearance I want.

So my question is has anyone done any custom frame work to raise your trailer? I don't like the idea of axle blocks. I do like the Lippert Correct Track system,but it does have a couple of disadvantages. would appreciate your comments.
    One of the problems with taking measurements is that your truck is unloaded and you don't know how low your truck will squat without actually hitching up your truck and camper. For example; I had my 5th wheel prior to getting my truck, consequently, it was a crap shoot as to whether the 5th wheel would ride appropriately or not. To further complicate my situation, I had decided on installing the Reese GooseBox hitch and Reese re-designed the GooseBox just prior to my purchasing it, so, there were really no measurements available.

Basically, I took a leap-of-faith and purchased the new F350 (dually) and the GooseBox and hoped for the best. Keep in mind, that I did not simply cross my fingers and "Hope for the best", I did a few things to better my chances for success, One, I ordered the F350 Dually which comes with 17" tires and not the 20 - 22 inch tires on the Single Rear Wheel pickups. This move was as much for our comfort in getting in and out of the truck as anything. Two, I ordered the B&W OEM Gooseneck Ball kit which stands an extra 1" to 1.5" taller than other Gooseneck balls. Three, the Reese re-design of the GooseBox allowed for installation one bolt-hole lower than the previous version.

I did all this knowing that if things didn't work out, I'd have to raise the 5th Wheel with bigger tires, or installing a Mor-Ryde Equalizer or both or something else.

So, even as I was installing the GooseBox, I had no Idea where the 5th Wheel would sit once I hitched it up to the Truck...

Fortunately, when everything was done, I had 7" clearance at the front of the 5th Wheel and 6.5" at the tailgate and that's level enough for me!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    I just took my 2020 Reflection 150 260RD home on my RAM 3500 2011 Crew Cab longbed 4X4) and it ran fairly level with almost 7 inches clearance to the bed rails.

Now that it is loaded, I would expect to run just about perfectly level (will know this weekend- first trip loaded).
    Congrats on your 260RD, we love our 230RL
    Mark
    Mark & Cindy, York, PA
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 230RL (White)
    Curt A16 Hitch, Turning Point Swivel Pin Box, set to Swivel, with Curt Wedge
    2019 Ford F250 STX 6.2L with 4.30 Gears, SB CC SRW 4x4, 18" Wheels, 3192 Payload, 15,000 Towing Capacity, Fifth Wheel Prep & Camper Package, Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera, Factory Ordered
    Prev TV: 2016 F150 3.5L Supercab with 6.5' bed, 2167 payload, LT Tires, and Air Lift 5000 air bags set to 15lbs

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    One of the problems with taking measurements is that your truck is unloaded and you don't know how low your truck will squat without actually hitching up your truck and camper. For example; I had my 5th wheel prior to getting my truck, consequently, it was a crap shoot as to whether the 5th wheel would ride appropriately or not. To further complicate my situation, I had decided on installing the Reese GooseBox hitch and Reese re-designed the GooseBox just prior to my purchasing it, so, there were really no measurements available.

!
    No, the measurements I have taken on my truck is with my current 5th wheel loaded and attached. I compared those measurements to a 150 series trailer that was setting very close to level, and is within a couple of hundred pounds pin weight compared to my trailer.

Now I realize there could be some variables here, but I'm awfully close on measurements, and still come out with the trailer pin being a little low when level.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was worried about the height as well but I think I'll be ok once loaded. Here are pics from two weeks ago taking our brand new 290BH 150 series with our leveled 2015 F-350 with LT 295 tires (approx 35" tire) Looks like plenty of bed clearance & riding a little nose high that hopefully settles once the camper is loaded ready for camping. The B&W hitch is set in the middle of the height adjustment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20190413_132840.jpg   IMG_20190413_132933.jpg  
    2019 Ford F-250 CCSB Lariat Ultimate 6.2L/3.73 gearing
    2015 Ford F-350 CCSB 6.7L - previous
    2018 Grand Design 290BH
    B&W Companion RVK3300

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that you will be fine, we have a RAM 2500 and a 295RL. We are pretty close to level and have plenty of bed clearance. The picture below is the day we picked up our rig last year, it was unloaded.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7677.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	19538
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    B&W Companion
    2014 RAM 2500 6.7l Cummins

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smharstedt View Post
    I think that you will be fine, we have a RAM 2500 and a 295RL. We are pretty close to level and have plenty of bed clearance. The picture below is the day we picked up our rig last year, it was unloaded.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7677.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	94.9 KB 
ID:	19538
    What do you think your bed clearance is? I am spoiled with my current trailer at about 8 1/2". Have never had to worry about going across an unlevel area.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One thing to remember if you use lifting blocks, they will increase stress on the rest of the suspension. Is good ti have an expert frame and spring shop do the work so the added stress items can be addressed.

For me I have noticed how thin the I beam is over the axles and viewed several videos of the suspension in action. When talking to the frame/spring shop about the possibility I may need to raise my trailer for my new truck they indicate they box this area and also stiffen the hangers, etc.

Just thinking out loud here
    Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    What do you think your bed clearance is? I am spoiled with my current trailer at about 8 1/2". Have never had to worry about going across an unlevel area.
    It is about 7", I have not had any issues.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 295RL
    B&W Companion
    2014 RAM 2500 6.7l Cummins