User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Trip with the New 303RLS

We finally got a chance to take our new trailer out for four nights in the desert. Towing was great! It is a fairly challenging route climbing from 700 feet (our house) up to 4,300 and then down a very windy two lane road (Banner Grade) to the desert floor. Just a couple months ago, we made the same trip with our 35" travel trailer hanging off the bumper. This was a relative piece of cake once I felt comfortable with how the trailer tracked behind the truck.

We really loved the trailer. It was extremely comfortable. We had no plumbing related issues and the dual A/Cs had no problem keeping the trailer cool in low to mid 90 degree temps.

Unfortunately, the refrigerator really under-performed. I was well aware of the problems folks have with the Dometic RM1350 but was hoping we would get lucky. The fans kicked on periodically, but as the temperature climbed outside, so did the temperature in the refrigerator. Every morning, the refrigerator temp was in the ideal 33°-35° range but it climbed above 40° every afternoon. At one point it got to 43°. If the temperature in the box is that warm, should the fans be running constantly to try and cool down the coils and fins? They definitely were not. On a separate issue, when we arrived at our campsite, the LP symbol was flashing. I had unplugged the trailer from shore power right before we left and assumed that maybe it had never switched over to propane due to air in the line. For the return trip, I switched to propane an hour before we hit the road. The transition was seamless and the refrigerator was performing the same as on electric. When we got home a couple hours later, the LP symbol was flashing once again.

In a couple weeks we are making an 800 mile drive to Southern Oregon. I now have confidence in every aspect of the trailer with the exception of the refrigerator. I will take a close look at it to make sure the installation is correct. At first glance, it appears to be. Temperatures will be much cooler at our final destination so I suspect it will perform reasonably well once we arrive but I need to be certain that it functions properly in transit also.
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had concern with our refrigerator in our 303rls as the refrig temp would be 30-33 in the morning but in the summer daytime would warm to 44. I bought a dual fan setup off Amazon that attaches to the cooling fins inside and it really helps keep the interior of the refrig upper 30's. Well worth the money.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to hear everything went well Jeff. We will be getting our 2019 303 out for the first time in a couple weeks. I’ll keep an eye on the fridge but don’t expect the really warm weather for a while yet.

I am surprised they haven’t perfected the refrigerators yet. With our old TT there were times when we were away for the day and it would get very hot inside, 90+, and we never had an issue with the fridge keeping up.

Mark
    Mark & Megan & Levi (our floppy eared four legged furry friend)
    2019 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax
    B & W Companion

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbowman View Post
    I had concern with our refrigerator in our 303rls as the refrig temp would be 30-33 in the morning but in the summer daytime would warm to 44. I bought a dual fan setup off Amazon that attaches to the cooling fins inside and it really helps keep the interior of the refrig upper 30's. Well worth the money.
    Do you have any pics of this fan installation? Our fridge has the same issue.
    Last edited by avf100; 04-24-2019 at 07:50 AM. Reason: spelling
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may also need to adjust the temp control located on the fins inside on the back wall of fridge. move it up and down a 1/4 inch at a time and you will see the difference. If i remember right, move it down to make it cooler, move it about a half inch the first time and let it set over night, then do it again and see where you will be. Mine will freeze food if i am not careful. We ave camped at 118* and no issues. You may also have an air lock, yo may need to turn on the stove, then shut off the tanks, then turn everything off and open one tank very slowly so it doesn't shut close the safety valve at the tank. check the manual it should explain all to you. I learned my resolution from calling the 1-800 number for my fridge. they walked me through it and i periodically have to do it. Anyhow, check it out, do some tinkering and adjusting and double check to make sure there are no obstructions for air flow behind the fridge. My factory fan works well and has for four years now. Also pick up a circulating fan for inside the fridge, put it on the top shelf off to one side, battery operated and makes a big difference too. Good Luck ! ! !
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. If you haven’t done so read page ten in your refrigerator operating manual. It’s tells the best time to turn your refrigerator on and the cycle it goes through. Maybe doing as the manual says might help with your temperature issue. Someone posted about how the refrigerator cycles but I can’t find it. Good luck. Jim
    2018 Reflection 337RL / 2022 GMC Denali 3500HD CC LB Diesel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Norcold 12 cu. ft 4 door fridge rather than a Dometic. I did post a while ago about the defrost cycle. The Norcold will do a defrost cycle every 24 hours. When I happened to turn the fridge on at 2pm I would see the temps climb in the afternoon heat on my monitors to about 43-44 in the fridge, 15 in the freezer. Panic! Thought I had a problem. Checking again in the early evening and temps were back down. It's not keeping up I thought. Did some reading and discovered the defrost info. Got up at 3AM, turned the fridge off for a minute then back on. Now defrost takes place in the cool of night. Fridge temps stay in the low to mid 30's, ice cream is hard. A bit of a PITA but works for me.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our new 2019 GD Imagine had the same problem. Took it back to the dealer and they said the cooling unit was not working. They are now replacing the Refer. I would encourage you if you have not done so already to take it back to the dealer and have them look at it.
    2019 Imagine 2600 RB
    2016 Ford F350 CCLB SRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ksbowman View Post
    Any way you could post the link to that setup? I just had mine in for end of warranty service and told them about the issue, and they stated that the thermocouple needed to be replaced. I'm not convinced.

If you take the top vent cover off, you'll see that there is a lot of space between the top of the refer box and top of the slide. My plan is to fill that hole with insulation and find a fan system to help vent the compartment. Would also appreciate instructions as top how to power the fans.
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ram BigHorn 3500 CTD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    I have the Norcold 12 cu. ft 4 door fridge rather than a Dometic. I did post a while ago about the defrost cycle. The Norcold will do a defrost cycle every 24 hours. When I happened to turn the fridge on at 2pm I would see the temps climb in the afternoon heat on my monitors to about 43-44 in the fridge, 15 in the freezer. Panic! Thought I had a problem. Checking again in the early evening and temps were back down. It's not keeping up I thought. Did some reading and discovered the defrost info. Got up at 3AM, turned the fridge off for a minute then back on. Now defrost takes place in the cool of night. Fridge temps stay in the low to mid 30's, ice cream is hard. A bit of a PITA but works for me.
    I had read the manual but the info about the defrost cycle didn't really resonate with me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fridge.PNG 
Views:	7 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	19565

Not sure if this had anything to do with my issue but it makes good sense to schedule the cycle for the overnight hours. I will turn mine on at noon. 60 hours later will be midnight and future cycles will also take place at midnight.
    Last edited by JeffD68; 04-24-2019 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Spelling
    2022 F450 Platinum
    B & W Companion
    2024 Brinkley Model Z 3610

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast