User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just Pulled the Trigger

Hello all. My wife and I just pulled the trigger on a Reflection 320MKS. We just visited the factory. Great tour.
    We started our full time adventure about a month ago.

We've had a short older Tiffin Class A motorhome for three years and have decided that we'd rather go with a new 5er. Delivery set for a few weeks. We haven't even purchased a truck yet.

We recently had a pretty dramatic incident with a blowout on the inside rear passenger tire. It could have been much worse.
    So stability is high on my sensors. But comfort is a concern too.

Dually? or Single wheel? Have any of you folks with 5th wheels and single wheel trucks had a blowout of a rear truck tire? How does it handle? Does it effect the rig much?

Definitely going Chevy/GMC Duramax. 3/4 or 1 ton. Of course... 1 ton if we decide dually. Anywhere from 2011 to new.

I'd love to hear some suggestions from veterans.

I'm looking forward to participating in this forum.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HyOnLyph View Post
    Hello all. My wife and I just pulled the trigger on a Reflection 320MKS. We just visited the factory. Great tour.
    We started our full time adventure about a month ago.

We've had a short older Tiffin Class A motorhome for three years and have decided that we'd rather go with a new 5er. Delivery set for a few weeks. We haven't even purchased a truck yet.

We recently had a pretty dramatic incident with a blowout on the inside rear passenger tire. It could have been much worse.
    So stability is high on my sensors. But comfort is a concern too.

Dually? or Single wheel? Have any of you folks with 5th wheels and single wheel trucks had a blowout of a rear truck tire? How does it handle? Does it effect the rig much?

Definitely going Chevy/GMC Duramax. 3/4 or 1 ton. Of course... 1 ton if we decide dually. Anywhere from 2011 to new.

I'm looking forward to participating in this forum.
    I love my 3/4 ton Duramax but a 320MKS would exceed payload capacity easily. With a 14k lb GVW, pin weight can easily be 2800lbs+. I'd suggest you look for a one ton truck. Check payload capacity on each individual truck as they vary. Yellow sticker on driver side door jamb.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the 320 purchase. Welcome to the forum.

I will side with the "chief" on this one , go 1 ton single or dual your choice.
    I use a single and it is just fine but my trailer is only 10995# gross. Not sure how heavy I would go with single rear wheel.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard that the newer Chevy's have virtually the same suspension unloaded. The one ton suspension bears the increased weight under load. So I'm leaning toward 1 ton. Y'all have pretty much cinched it for me. Now... single or dually? I'm still hoping someone has some experience with blowouts on the rear and what it feels like and how the 5W handles.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum.

Choosing a tow vehicle (TV) is loaded with opportunities to make a mistake. I know I'm just a faceless individual posting to you on a forum--but *please* take my advice and take some time to review the following thread in the Reference Library:

How To Determine Your Truck's Trailer Towing Capability
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ing-Capability

We have a club here called the TwoTimeTVers. I'm one of the charter members. Though we don't charge dues, becoming a member of this club is $$$expensive$$$.

No, there's not really a TwoTimeTVers club. It's a sarcastic way of saying we (there's many members in this club!) made a mistake the first time buying a truck and had to buy a second one.

There's even a ThreeTimeTVer Club here! That one is reserved for those with really deep pockets.

I can't help you with the blow out question, as my dually hasn't experienced one yet and I have a bumper-pull.

Any questions, fire away.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Howdy all. Update. We opted for a 2015 Chevy 3500 Dually. Rides like a dream and in perfect condition. We installed the side mirror cameras and are very happy with the decision. Now moving everything into the GD from the Class A. They are taking it away today. So happy with our choice so far.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Howdy all. Update. We opted for a 2015 Chevy 3500 Dually. Rides like a dream and in perfect condition. We installed the side mirror cameras and are very happy with the decision. Now moving everything into the GD from the Class A. They are taking it away today. So happy with our choice so far.
    Good choice!

Welcome to the forum!
    Resistance is Not Futile, It's Voltage Divided by Current.