User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Murphy Queen Bed vs Regular Queen Bed

I really like floor plans with a walk around queen bed. The Murphy bed designs that convert into a couch do appeal to me.

Can anyone talk about how comfortable they are compared to regular queen non-folding beds? For instance, is the area that folds a weak point what eventually becomes a dip or does it bunch up and make it uncomfortable?

Any pluses or minuses to speak of?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which floorplan are you specifically talking about?

I have a fifth wheel with what looks like a walkaround queen bed from the floorplan picture. In reality, the floor has a couple of steps in it, and the ceiling is relatively low for someone that's very tall. I'm not familiar with a Murphy bed model.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had a Murphy in our first GD. We could never get used to the seam between the two mattress parts and ended up buying a full size contiguous mattress for it. Then it would not fold up easy. We did sleep much better after that though.
    2019 F350 6.7L PS SRW CCSB Platinum
    2021 28BH with theater seating and 2nd AC
    2019 Imagine 2400BH w/solar (sold)
    https://rolling.howardweb.info/

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jh.xsnrg View Post
    We had a Murphy in our first GD. We could never get used to the seam between the two mattress parts and ended up buying a full size contiguous mattress for it. Then it would not fold up easy. We did sleep much better after that though.
    Are the murphy mattress two separate parts?

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The floor plans I'm looking are from the Imagine XLS line because I'm looking for something I can tow behind a 2007 Sequoia.

Like the Imagine XLS 18RBE (murphy bed) or 21BHE (Murphy bed) or 22RBE (queen bed).

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A murphy bed drops down from the wall, I think you are refering to a jack knife sofa. We never found the jack knife in our old TT comfortable to sleep on.
    Or the trifold in our 303, most who sleep on it would rather be on an air mattress.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by abehil View Post
    I really like floor plans with a walk around queen bed. The Murphy bed designs that convert into a couch do appeal to me.

Can anyone talk about how comfortable they are compared to regular queen non-folding beds? For instance, is the area that folds a weak point what eventually becomes a dip or does it bunch up and make it uncomfortable?

Any pluses or minuses to speak of?

I too like some of the XLS floorplans with the Murphy bed. Reading the forum here has me pretty convinced that I would probably not be comfortable on the Murphy bed as implemented by GD (seam where mattress folds is problematic and you can't do much to fix it). My impression at this point is that the Rockwood Mini Lite models are comparable in construction to GD offerings (maybe a bit heavier than XLS) and the Murphy beds may be a bit more comfortable. I'd recommend looking at the Rockwoods too. Regardless, everyone is different and you definitely need to go test them out for yourself. I certainly will if I ever get serious about down-sizing.
    Last edited by backtrack2015; 04-25-2019 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Mini Lite -- not Ultra Lite
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    A murphy bed drops down from the wall, I think you are refering to a jack knife sofa. We never found the jack knife in our old TT comfortable to sleep on. Or the trifold in our 303, most who sleep on it would rather be on an air mattress.
    Ditto. @abehil I let others reply thinking that maybe I was ignorant - it happens a lot - about 'Murphy beds' in GD trailers even though I've never seen them.

We've had two GD trailers with two different jack knife sofas, one roughly double size and the other roughly queen size.

Both produce very uneven beds, with the 'foot' of the bed significantly higher than the 'head' and with lumpy transitions between the three sections of the bed. The second one is a full-width three-seater, wide enough that a single five-foot-something person can sleep SIDEWAYS at the 'head' of the bed and alleviate a lot of the discomfort of sleeping on it the 'normal' way. We feel that we cannot ever invite a couple, or any single person over about 5'8", to sleep on it.

I still don't understand what you meant when you asserted that you liked a "walk around queen bed". Our main bed is on a king-sized platform (could be queen) and we can walk (on one side of it side-step) around the lower 2/3 or so of it.
    Last edited by boyscout; 04-25-2019 at 09:55 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are several Imagine XLS floorplans with actual Murphy beds.
    2017 F-350 CCSB 6.7L
    2021 Micro Minnie 2100BH
    previously - Reflection 28BH, Intech Pursue

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 22RBE. We took the mattress that came with it out and replaced it with a Nectar foam type mattress. It sleeps awesome! Don't think you could do that with a Murphy bed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast