User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crazy or just stupid? - Reflection 303RLS TV

I currently tow a 30' 5th wheel which weighs about 10k when loaded with a 2015 ram 2500 6.7
    16k lb reese sidewinder hitch. Never paid much attention to towing capacities and have been doing fine. However I would like to upgrade to the 303rls which has a tongue weight of about 1750 llbs.
    My problem is the sticker on the driver's door states max cargo not to exceeded 2116 lbs, however when I look at the ram specs on the internet it states the max payload is 2380 lbs.
    I guess it really doesn't make that much difference, as long as I can safely pull the 303.
    I run Michelin 275 70R18 with 3640 lb rating on each tire.
    Am I within limits?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going with "crazy" , just kidding.
    The 303 gross weight is 11995# , this could end up with about 2400# pin weight if fully loaded. This would put you over your payload.
    Plenty of topics lately on this.
    Enjoy all the info about to come your way.

Brian

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The average 303 has a pin weight of 1725 pounds empty! Those are the specifications from the website. By the time you add batteries, propane and cargo, you'll easily be pushing the payload of your truck's 2,116 pounds. And that's not counting cargo, fifth wheel hitch and cargo in your truck.

That 2,380 you listed is for the max payload without any options. Once you start adding options in, the payload drops. The number to go by is 2,116# which is on your sticker. I don't see any feasible way to stay under that number with a 303.

I hate to be labeled the "weight police", but in my opinion, that is not enough truck for the 303.

Jim

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itchy44 View Post
    I currently tow a 30' 5th wheel which weighs about 10k when loaded with a 2015 ram 2500 6.7
    16k lb reese sidewinder hitch. Never paid much attention to towing capacities and have been doing fine. However I would like to upgrade to the 303rls which has a tongue weight of about 1750 llbs.
    My problem is the sticker on the driver's door states max cargo not to exceeded 2116 lbs, however when I look at the ram specs on the internet it states the max payload is 2380 lbs.
    I guess it really doesn't make that much difference, as long as I can safely pull the 303.
    Am I within limits?
    Short answer is No.
    Longer answer is the door sticker is the gospel truth as to what your truck weighed when it rolled off the assembly line. Keep in mind, if you've added anything to it.....like maybe a 5ver hitch, that weight comes off the payload number too. So now you are probably down in the 1900-1925 lb range on available payload. And remember, you need to completely put the empty weight number out of your head. The only time that trailer will be at empty weight is when it left the factory. The dealership has added propane to the tanks, they've added a battery or two, and maybe something else we don't know about. That might put you in the 1800 lb range for available payload capacity. So now, you are at the advertised EMPTY pin weight on a trailer that you are dying to load up with all your normal camping stuff and hit the road. Sorry, the numbers just don't add up for a 303 and your truck.

If it makes you feel any better, please know that you aren't alone....you aren't the first and you certainly won't be the last. How do I know? Because I WAS THAT GUY a few years back. I had a F250 CrewCab 4x4 Diesel (2011) with a 6.7 in it.....should tow about anything I wanted to buy. The truth is, that truck, which was an XLT...not a Lariat, not a King Ranch, just a moderately equipped nice truck, had a grand total of 2148 lbs of payload capacity.....so trust me, I know the feeling first hand.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all. I appreciate all your feedback. I guess a 3500 may be in the future, but if I tell my better half what it will cost maybe she will be happy with what we have (it's paid for)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a F250 diesel crew cab towing a 323BHS that's slightly heavier than the 303's. My truck has a RV package with higher weight capacities than most of the trucks of today, but I recognize that I'm completely maxed out. Although I have air bags, my 323 doesn't even make my truck squat with no air in the bags.

My question is are you going to be towing far and often? If you were just going to be towing local and not going on long trips, you may be okay towing on a limited basis. (I do suggest air bags too.)

My trailer never leaves our member owned campground, and it just goes from a storage lot to a campsite.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the factory air ride on the rear of the truck and the 5er I tow now has a 1350 hitch weight which does not squat the truck over 1 inch. Maybe I could beef up the rear end. I know the 6.7 will pull it with no problem
    I will be a full timer for about 6 mo a year.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I within limits?
    Itchy,
    Bottom Line Up Front. Here are the real numbers from my 2018 303. Our pin weight is 2100 pounds loaded according to the CAT scales. I would absolutely shoot for a SRW one ton if available over a SRW 3/4 ton. Price is roughly the same but you gain approximately 1000 pounds on payload.
    Last edited by GeoffnCheri; 04-23-2019 at 07:04 PM.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you mean 1000 lbs gain?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you mean 1000 lbs gain?
    Yes, typo corrected. Good catch. Unfortunately no typo on the pin weight.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast