User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi from sunny Florida 😎

Hi everyone,
    Jim and Sandy here.
    We’ve had boats of different sizes for 30 years and have decided to sell the boat and direct our recreational dollars towards RVing.
    We purchased a 2019 Viking 17fq, a nice little starter TT.
    We run an upholstery business from our home and were thinking about retiring very soon.
    So w got to thinking that if we retired, we wouldn’t need all this house (sick and tired of all the maintenance) and maybe we should look at a little condo?
    But we were watching all the camping videos on YouTube and we’ve decided to sell the house to our son and upgrade our rig and go full time RV!
    We were pulling the Trailer with a V6 Toyota Crossover, so that will be upgraded soon to a F-250 diesel to pull our next rig, which we just signed papers on yesterday..... a Grand Design 2670MK.
    We are crunching numbers now and have some property that is also in the process of being sold, so the purchases will be soon.
    Then we will have a good lithium solar system installed on it for lots of boondocking.
    Looking forward to the ride !

Thanks for lookin,
    Jim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,
    While you are crunching numbers, don't forget to crunch the weight rating numbers for your truck and trailer. Basically, the weight of your truck and trailer(loaded) cannot exceed the GVCW (Gross Vehicle Carry Weight) for your vehicle. Also, the hitch weight of your trailer must fall in the GVWR of your truck. So add the weight of your truck, passengers, hitch, fuel, supplies, and anything else you are carrying in your vehicle, then take the hitch weight of your trailer and add 20%( for a margin of safety) and add it all together. If that number exceeds the GVWR of your truck, you need a bigger truck.
    Jim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jim and Judy in a Ram 2500 towing a
    2015 Reflection 29RS with modifications

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishdeth View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Jim and Sandy here.
    We’ve had boats of different sizes for 30 years and have decided to sell the boat and direct our recreational dollars towards RVing.
    We purchased a 2019 Viking 17fq, a nice little starter TT.
    We run an upholstery business from our home and were thinking about retiring very soon.
    So w got to thinking that if we retired, we wouldn’t need all this house (sick and tired of all the maintenance) and maybe we should look at a little condo?
    But we were watching all the camping videos on YouTube and we’ve decided to sell the house to our son and upgrade our rig and go full time RV!
    We were pulling the Trailer with a V6 Toyota Crossover, so that will be upgraded soon to a F-250 diesel to pull our next rig, which we just signed papers on yesterday..... a Grand Design 2670MK.
    We are crunching numbers now and have some property that is also in the process of being sold, so the purchases will be soon.
    Then we will have a good lithium solar system installed on it for lots of boondocking.
    Looking forward to the ride !

Thanks for lookin,
    Jim
    Jim,
    Welcome to the forum. We love to talk about tow vehicles (TV) here, so brace yourself--you may get a lot of inputs! (Well meaning inputs from those that have "been there, done that".)

What I'm going to do is point you to a resource. The thread has a collection of videos, spreadsheets, and websites that explain all about matching your tow vehicle to your travel trailer. I hope you'll take some time to look it over and if there's anything that's unclear, please ask! Here's the link:

How To Determine Your Truck's Trailer Towing Capability
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...ing-Capability

Finally, if you're going "all in" and getting a 250 diesel, consider the 350. For a relatively small difference in price you get more payload. Payload is usually the limiting factor when pairing a TV to an RV. Getting a 350 may seem unnecessary, even outrageous, but at some point you may want to upgrade the 2670MK (I know, seems inconceivable right now) and having a capable truck will open up a lot of options.

Again, welcome, and please fire away if you have any questions.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,

Welcome.

Where in Florida are you located?

Are you planning to buy a new Ford truck? If so there’s a $3,000 Private Cash Offer floating around. If buying new let me know and I can maybe get you a link for the $3k PCO.

Jerry
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    Jim,

Welcome.

Where in Florida are you located?

Are you planning to buy a new Ford truck? If so there’s a $3,000 Private Cash Offer floating around. If buying new let me know and I can maybe get you a link for the $3k PCO.

Jerry
    Hi Jerry,
    We are in Winter Garden, Florida, a little west of Orlando.
    We’re looking for certified pre owned, but new MAY be a possibility!
    I’d love to look at the link!
    Thanks,
    Jim

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishdeth View Post
    Hi Jerry,
    We are in Winter Garden, Florida, a little west of Orlando.
    We’re looking for certified pre owned, but new MAY be a possibility!
    I’d love to look at the link!
    Thanks,
    Jim
    We are in Bradenton but have another home in Fort Drum at a Hunt and Riding club community, https://www.ihammock.net/ where we spend most of our time in the winter. We’re both retired.

Prices of preowned Superduty trucks are pretty high. Right now with dealer discounts, Ford incentives and possibly a $3k PCO you can buy new for same price as 2 years old with 20,000 miles.

Here’s a link to a PCO. https://www.ford.com/new-trucks/?int...94%7C441202911

Try it and see if you get a popup for the PCO. It works for me today using my iPad with Goggle chrome browser. If it doesn’t work and your considering new I can input your info in my popup. It’s good until 7/1 on either purchased from dealer stock or order placed before 7/1.

Also seriously consider a F350 instead of a 250 if your going Diesel. About $1000 more but you get over 1,000 lbs more payload. A typical F250 diesel Crew Cab Lariat 4WD only has a payload of about 2,200 lbs. A similar F350 about 3500 lbs like mine. They ride the same.

Jerry

Jerry
    Last edited by Jerryr; 04-24-2019 at 11:50 AM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Jim!

Get ready to spent all your money on the little things are going to want to add to your camper.
    2015 Silverado 2500HD
    2019 Imagine 3170BH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Welcome Jim!

Get ready to spent all your money on the little things are going to want to add to your camper.
    ��
    I’ve got quite the list on Amazon waiting to be added to the cart!

Seasoned Camper
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope you will enjoy your Imagine. We love ours.
    WPS
    Imagine 2250RK 2018
    Silverado 2018 1/2 Ton, 5.3L V8 3.42