User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alaska trip-Taking a firearm through Canada

Anyone made the trip driving from the lower 48 up through Canada to Alaska? Just curious about getting through Canada with a firearm.

Read someplace guns are not allowed, heard to mail to yourself in Alaska and on one thread I read you can declare before traveling through Canada and as long as you have paperwork you are okay.

Will do my research just curious if anyone on the forum has made the trip and went through the process of trying to take a firearm.
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, you can and without much hassle, too, depending on what gun/s you want to take. In 2017 we took our RV to Alaska, through Canada with no problem at all. Google Canadian firearm laws and do some serious research. You should fill out the Canadian Firearms Declaration Form ahead of time, but do not sign it because the Canadian BP must witness your signature. Do not check self-dense as the reason. I used transferring through Canada or something like that. In my case I took a Remington 870 Tactical Express 12 gauge, along with a few slugs, buckshot and some #7 1/2 rounds. Make sure the gun is locked up and separate from the ammunition. Be prepared to tell them how many days you expect to take transversing Canada to Alaska. It pretty much needs to be a direct route. Be prepared to answer the question, “why are you taking the firearms?” I was not asked this, but some are. I was going to answer that I was planning to do some skeet shooting, had I been asked, for example. Forget taking any handgun or semi-auto rifle as they are either restricted or prohibited. Don’t even think about an AR or AK, but most standard sporting rifles and shotguns are allowed. Answer all questions honestly and do NOT try to sneak firearms in. If caught, you will have them and possibly your vehicle confiscated and might go to prison. Be prepared to pay the cashier $25 CDN. The inside BP person will check you out on the computer (which is connected to US systems), but in my case anyway the whole process took maybe 10-15 minutes and we were on our way.

The Canadian BP folks were very professional and friendly. Do your research! BTW, when you get to the Alaska border the US BP will ask about firearms and will want to see the Canadian form (shows you brought them from the US). When we pulled up to the Canadian BP and handed our Passports to the Canadian BP agent at the window s/he will ask several questions, but the first thing I told him was that I had a firearm. He pretty much lost interest in anything else at that point. He politely asked if it was a handgun and when I told him it wasn’t he politely directed me where to park so I could go inside with the form, but not the firearm. For the third and last time, do your research, be prepared and you most likely not have a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, I downloaded the Canadian Firearms Declaration Form. I have done some research and everything I read since posting is the same thing you have indicated. Thanks again for the real world knowledge.

Do you have the standard butt stock on the 870 Tactical Express or the pistol grip? I have the same gun and that is what I was planning on taking, I have the pistol grip but can easily change it out if need be.
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reeldirtydawg View Post
    Thank you, I downloaded the Canadian Firearms Declaration Form. I have done some research and everything I read since posting is the same thing you have indicated. Thanks again for the real world knowledge.

Do you have the standard butt stock on the 870 Tactical Express or the pistol grip? I have the same gun and that is what I was planning on taking, I have the pistol grip but can easily change it out if need be.
    Great! Mine has the standard stock, not a pistol grip. When it asked for the model on the form I just said 870. They never asked to see it. They didn’t search our rig or anything either, but then we were 70 years old. [emoji31]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And your age matters why?
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob/OlallaWA View Post
    'Cuz us old fellas are statistically less likely to rob a convenience store.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because Terrorist organizations generally speaking ain't looking to recruit us old folk. Just like kidnappers don't want us either. Senior Assisted living center and old folks homes.........that's another story.....their recruitment practices are intense!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as the CBP is concerned it may not affect their process at all, but as some others have pointed out we older folks have not survived this long with our gun rights intact by not carefully following laws. In other words we are less likely to be a problem. [emoji2957]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill & Jeri RV Travels View Post
    As far as the CBP is concerned it may not affect their process at all, but as some others have pointed out we older folks have not survived this long with our gun rights intact by not carefully following laws. In other words we are less likely to be a problem. [emoji2957]

I can agree with all the comments about older being less of a problem. But, CBP or USBP looks everyone over the same, regardless of age. Don't become a statistic, you just might be pulled over to the curb and you best hope everything is in order. Been there done that.
    2019 GMC 3500 HD:)
    2016 Reflection 313RLTS:cool:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast