User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cost for installing a 2nd AC

My DW would like a second AC installed in the bedroom. We have found out that in late winter in AZ and summer travels through Western states the temps get pretty hot. Our unit cools OK ( just barely) if we are just parked for the day and can run from morning to night. I am wondering if anyone can give me a rough estimate as to cost and any suggestions. I have a Dometic 13500 in the living room and have checked with GD and they suggest that I match that size to get the best air flow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    My DW would like a second AC installed in the bedroom. We have found out that in late winter in AZ and summer travels through Western states the temps get pretty hot. Our unit cools OK ( just barely) if we are just parked for the day and can run from morning to night. I am wondering if anyone can give me a rough estimate as to cost and any suggestions. I have a Dometic 13500 in the living room and have checked with GD and they suggest that I match that size to get the best air flow. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Folks on the forum have shared a wide range of pricing on installing the 2nd AC from a dealer or other entity. Dealership labor and models of AC/thermostat/etc. pricing varies several hundred $s. GDRV charges about $850 MSRP from the factory on new Reflection TT builds. I suspect a dealer will charge a little more than this for the same model and components. It will be interesting what you find after getting a few estimates.

If you wish to do so you can go to various RV part sites, Amazon, etc. to get pricing on the parts once you have confirmed the correct AC and related components with GDRV Customer Service. Add dealer labor (dealers can confirm time to install and rate) and you will have your total cost. Dealer AC and components pricing will be higher than the RV parts sites, Amazon, etc. too after they add their margin unless they just build into a higher labor charge.

I would suggest that whatever you decide that you install (or have installed) the same AC and components as done by GDRV for your model/year.

Dan
    Dan & Carol
    2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
    2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD
    2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last quote was ~$1500.

I think the only difficult part of a DIY is getting the unit on the roof. I did read a post somewhere where a number of people used an extension ladder and slid the unit up with ropes. Otherwise, all the wiring and ductwork is already in place. The other difficulty might be finding the thermostat wire in the wall by the ceiling light switch.

I'm sure there are posts in here somewhere where someone had done a DIY and documented their experience.

Let us know what you find...
    Current;
    2017 Reflection 337LRS 5th with 2016 Silverado LTX 3500HD Duramax
    2019 Reflection 367BHS 5th permanent in RV park

Past;
    30' TH TT Weekend Warrior, 36' TH 5th Weekend Warrior (both with Ford F250 diesel)
    26' TT Shadow Cruiser, 30' TT Cougar (both with Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yattr0 View Post
    My last quote was ~$1500.

I think the only difficult part of a DIY is getting the unit on the roof. I did read a post somewhere where a number of people used an extension ladder and slid the unit up with ropes. Otherwise, all the wiring and ductwork is already in place. The other difficulty might be finding the thermostat wire in the wall by the ceiling light switch.

I'm sure there are posts in here somewhere where someone had done a DIY and documented their experience.

Let us know what you find...
    Here's my thread about installing our 2d AC unit:
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...t=installation

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really think a good RV tech could install the front a/c unit in 1 1/2 to 2 hours tops. And as always, YouTube.com illustrates how to do just about every job task required in your life.

2 a/c units are needed in the Deep South and Out West. Anywhere it's hot and the campsite is not covered well with shade from trees, 2 a/c units are badly needed.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing I would like to add is that you probably have more than one option for the type of bed room air conditioning unit that can be installed. Mine did not come with the factory second air conditioning so the dealer had to add it. When they did was to install an air conditioning unit that was not connected to the rest of the race track system in the trailer. So the AC only vented it into the bedroom itself. I had that unit removed and replaced with one that actually connected to the rest of the system. The result is on really hot days the trailer it gets cooler much faster.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    One thing I would like to add is that you probably have more than one option for the type of bed room air conditioning unit that can be installed. Mine did not come with the factory second air conditioning so the dealer had to add it. When they did was to install an air conditioning unit that was not connected to the rest of the race track system in the trailer. So the AC only vented it into the bedroom itself. I had that unit removed and replaced with one that actually connected to the rest of the system. The result is on really hot days the trailer it gets cooler much faster.
    Revisiting an old thread. Looking to have a second AC installed on our rig. Noticeable difference with 2 ACs versus 1 AC when it's hot?
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Maguire View Post
    Revisiting an old thread. Looking to have a second AC installed on our rig. Noticeable difference with 2 ACs versus 1 AC when it's hot?
    HUGE difference! Even though it's "only" at 13.5k unit, it's enough to get the coach cool to the mid to high 70's on a day with temps over 100°. I would also DIY install of ceramic window film. I installed the stuff and while our unit could get down to 78° or so on a very hot day, with the window film, we can now get down to the low 70's. It feels like a massive difference. Get the window film with the highest TSER rating you can.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    HUGE difference! Even though it's "only" at 13.5k unit, it's enough to get the coach cool to the mid to high 70's on a day with temps over 100°. I would also DIY install of ceramic window film. I installed the stuff and while our unit could get down to 78° or so on a very hot day, with the window film, we can now get down to the low 70's. It feels like a massive difference. Get the window film with the highest TSER rating you can.
    That's great to hear. I just put in the order. Thanks for taking a minute.
    2021 GD Reflection (150) 5th Wheel 268BH
    2019 F250 Gas 6.2L V8 FX4 Crew Cab
    PullRite 2100 20K Hitch w/ LOCKED OUT Turning Point
    2x Honda EU2200i Generators & 1UP Bike Rack & Roll-N-Lock Bed Cover
    Previous Setup:
    2017 Outdoors RV 23BHS
    2017 F150 Sport 3.5L V6 EcoBoost

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J Maguire View Post
    That's great to hear. I just put in the order. Thanks for taking a minute.
    You'll be enjoying cool air in no time. The other thing to check out is there's a few threads on modifying the AC dump so that the cooled air is redirected to the race track system instead. Folks say it really helps with the output.

The other thing to check is there's a divider bar under the AC cover in the main room. If you unscrew the thing you'll find that often times the divider bar is misaligned and allows the return air to mix with the conditioned air. There are multiple threads on this as well. Properly positioning and fixing the divider bar in place will also make a big difference with the performance of your system.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast