User Tag List

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    Reminds me of something I heard an old timer say once..."I wear suspenders and a belt because you can never be too careful."

Everyone has a different risk benefit analysis. I know people who think pulling a 5er is a pretty big risk. I don't devalue your choices but I choose to use my fridge on propane because I am a natural born risk taker.
    I'm a risk taker, too. I don't really care if my pants fall down.

I also run the fridge on propane while traveling. I'm more afraid of running it on propane while we're sleeping in the next room.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    I'm a risk taker, too. I don't really care if my pants fall down.

I also run the fridge on propane while traveling. I'm more afraid of running it on propane while we're sleeping in the next room.
    I agree Kim. It would be a lot worse if the fridge had a problem when you are sleeping 15' away from compared to towing 40' away and in your truck.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to add to the discussion...

Today's Propane Tanks have a special safety valve that will shut itself off if there is a rupture in the Propane line (high flow rate).

So, relatively speaking, it is safer to tow with the refrigerator on today than it was several years ago.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    I agree Kim. It would be a lot worse if the fridge had a problem when you are sleeping 15' away from compared to towing 40' away and in your truck.

Rob
    No argument from me on that point, but it doesn't speak to why I have chosen not to use propane while on the road. I've seen dozens of pictures on this forum alone showing tires that have destroyed the underside of the camper they were installed on. The propane line--at least on my 315RLTS--is right above the two tires on the street side of the trailer. It doesn't take much imagination to envision how towing on debris-strewn interstates with exposed and vulnerable pressurized propane lines could generate a very unpleasant result. (Full disclosure: Yes, I've towed with propane on. I don't have to now so I won't.)

The statement "it isn't a problem until it is" speaks to the tolerance for risk each of us is willing to accept. I see people riding on motorcycles all the time here in Florida with no helmet, shorts, and flip flops. Me? I have the full-face helmet, coat with armored padding, steel-toe boots, etc, etc. (OK, I fudge and wear regular blue jeans on occasion. I do so, though, knowing that if I go down the road will tear up my legs like a chunk of cheese going across a grater. Not a pleasant thought.)

The real issue here is the manufacturer installing a refrigerator cooled by propane (with no real alternative from the factory) and then removing their liability by stating (in the owners manual) that towing with propane is dangerous and not advised. Well thanks a lot, RV industry. How are we supposed to keep our food cold? Why not design and manufacture trailers so it is safe enough to tow (using propane) so even the lawyers will agree to drop that statement from the manual?
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post

The real issue here is the manufacturer installing a refrigerator cooled by propane (with no real alternative from the factory) and then removing their liability by stating (in the owners manual) that towing with propane is dangerous and not advised. Well thanks a lot, RV industry. How are we supposed to keep our food cold? Why not design and manufacture trailers so it is safe enough to tow (using propane) so even the lawyers will agree to drop that statement from the manual?
    Totally agree with this.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That “pressurized propane line” is operating at 11 inches of water or about 0.4 psi. If it is cut, the increase in flow will close the tank valve designed to do this.

There are 12VDC fridges available. NovaCool is a popular marine brand. http://www.novakool.com/products/two..._8000_9000.htm Dometic used to make full size 3 way fridges, but there website seems to only show smaller models.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After a couple of PM comments on my previous post about the propane EFV (excess flow valve) completely shutting off gas flow in the event of a severed line. I stand corrected on this. My internet research tells me (and I do not have verified data to support this) that the EFV is designed to reduce normal max flow of about 200 cf/h (cubic feet per hour) to less than 10 cf/h. Thus there could be a small flow of propane from a severed line.

I am not endorsing travel with or without the fridge operating. It is not my place to do this. As has been said by several on this thread, this is a risk assessment to be made by each individual. Every regulation and document out there says to turn the propane fridge off while travelling.

I do think there is a serious misconception in many of these documents about how long a non-operation RV fridge will maintain food at a safe temperature, per the first hand research done by @TucsonJim.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello All, This has to be one of the more controversial topics in the RV community. I had to answer that same question several years ago when I entered the “RV world!” The information provided in the following two (2) links should help answer this question for anyone debating the merits of whether to tow with the propane ON and/or the Refrigerator ON. Check out the following links:

Link 1 - http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore...like/id44.html
    Link 2 - http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore...like/id47.html

Hope this helps! Happy trails!

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is another alternative... and that is to convert your existing refrigerator (or replace the refrigerator) with a high efficiency DC compressor Cooling Unit.

This involves removing the back side of the refrigerator and replacing it with a new cooling unit that runs off of a highly efficient 12v compressor (commonly called a marine compressor). This converts your refrigerator to run off of 12 volts 24/7 and eliminates Propane altogether.

JC Refrigeration makes these replacement units and they can either swap your refrigerator for a new one, or they can simply replace the cooling unit on your existing fridge. They can also ship the DC Compressor Cooling Unit to you and you can replace the cooling unit on your own refrigerator.

JC Refrigeration's website is: http://jc-refrigeration.com/

Tom Morton, from "Mortons on The Move" YouTube channel replaced his Cooling Unit and did a very detailed, How To, video on his replacement process.

Here is the link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yte1V3CkDrw

I will say that unless you have a large battery bank on board I wouldn't recommend this option unless you are always camping with Shore Power. I would also recommend having a high Amperage Alternator in your Tow Vehicle to power this while on the road.

Additionally, if you are running with Lithium Batteries I think this would be a very good option.

Personally, if my cooling unit ever fails, this is the option I would choose. I am also very tempted to convert my refrigerator even if the cooling unit does not fail.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not going to take the time and read all 8 pages of this because it's sure to be the same ole stuff that gets discussed every time this topic comes up...
    I will say that in the last several years of RV ownership, the only time I've ever turned my fridge off is when I needed to defrost the freezer (cause someone left the door cracked). Otherwise, it stays on 24/7, when towing, when fueling, etc. It does stay plugged into shore power when not being used.
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 290BH
    2017 Chevrolet 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab
    B & W Companion (T/O Ball Mount)
    SBGTF

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast