Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2015 29RS Axle/Bearing/Insufficient Braking Issues

2015 29RS Axle/Bearing/Insufficient Braking Issues Edit Blog Entry
    Rate this Entry
    1 Comment Go to first new comment
    by Neil and Sonya Dundas. On
    , Today at 05:40 PM (0 Views)

My rig has 4400# Lippert Axles, 10-inch drum brakes, 15" tires and the brake hub ******'y is a 6 x 5 1/2 bolt pattern. The rig has a GVWR of 9995#. The UVW is 8564# with a pin wt of 1504#. This axle is a hybrid using a 3500# axle, modified to be rated for 4400#.
    Since having this 5th wheel, we have had 2 major breakdowns involving bearings and brakes. The first one was in Dec. 2017 while traveling south for the winter. I was flagged by a motorist and the bearing actually caught on fire. This was the driver side, rear tire. The repair shop replaced the brake ******'y, bearings and magnets and rechecked and repacked the bearings ($530).
    We returned home in April, 2018 and contacted Grand Design on May 4, 2018 regarding concerns about our axle ratings and braking. We thought we had 5200# axles, which was listed on our Reflection Serial Number Data Sheet. I was told that the rating was 4400# and that this was sufficient for our rig.
    At the Indiana Rally in 2018, because of my concerns, I tried to have the brakes upgraded to disc brakes to try to resolve my concerns about insufficient braking. Unfortunately, these hybrid axles do not allow you to upgrade to disc brakes. I decided to upgrade the Equa-Flex Equalisers and shackles ($494) to a more heavy-duty type. As well, I had the Bearing/Axle Service at the Rally ($230) to ensure no future bearing/braking issues.
    When I returned home from the Rally, I also purchased new Michilen Endurance ST tires, even though my tires were fine ($878).
    Before going south for the winter in 2018, even though the bearings were serviced in August, I had the brakes inspected and adjusted ($236).
    Coming back home in April, 2019, I was, again, flagged by a passing motorist and found driver side, front wheel ******'y smoking.
    We got the unit to an RV dealership in Indiana and they found a blown bearing and the racer had to be cut off. They replaced the whole complete electric brake ******'y as well as a new drum brake hub since the hub overheated and broke. They also replaced the electic brake ******'y on the rear driver side since the brake shoes had completely crumbled. They were shocked at the size of the axle and brake ******'y on this unit and made a notation on work order to contact the manufacturer to have the manufacturer upgrade them.
    They also checked the other bearings and brakes before putting us back on the road ($838).
    We have been servicing the bearings annually and have never experienced any bearing seal issues. I've been towing various trailers for over 30 years and have never ahd this type of experience before.

Has anyone else run into this problem with these axles on the 29RS? Has anyone upgraded their axles? I've noticed that Grand Design has been using 5200# axles with 12" brakes since their 2018 model.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neil & Sonya

Sorry for your troubles. I have a 2018 model built Oct. 2017 with the 5200# axels.
    If you plan on keeping your unit I would definitely recommend upgrading the axels, this would be cost effective considering how much you have invested in yours already.
    I would also recommend the Dexter axels over the Lippert brand.
    Good luck and please keep us posted.

Brian

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2017 29RS has 30,000 towing miles on it.
    I had a brake problem , shoe broke up this year. I was disappointed that my 4400 lb axles could not be upgraded to disc brakes.
    I couldn’t wait for the order of dexter 5200 lb axels, so I did complete drum brake overhaul with the backing plate assembly.
    I don’t feel that the brakes or seals failed prematurely.
    I just Drive a lot of miles over the winter.
    If I wasn’t on the road I would have definitely paid the 4400.00 for the axel upgrade, and disc conversion.
    2016 Ram 3500 SWD 3:73 Turbo Diesel 6'4"" box
    OEM puck Pro 16K
    2021 Reflection 311BHS
    Previous:
    2017 Reflection 29RS
    Reese Sidewinder Hitch
    Platte Lake MN.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I upgraded my 4400# Lippert axles to 5200# Dexter axles and 12" brakes just before GD started using Dexter axles. I got tired of replacing springs. Braking is much improved with bigger brakes. It's a worthwhile upgrade and not very expensive. The 4400# axles and brakes are just too light for that trailer. If you are servicing your bearings regularly and still burning them up I'm wondering if your brake controller gain is set too high and the hub is getting over heated.
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just looked up my quote from performance trailer,
    912.00 for dexter 5200 axels,springs and bolts
    1800.00 disc brake conversion
    1300.00 labor
    4012.00 total
    6weeks order for dexter axels
    OEM puck Pro 16K
    2021 Reflection 311BHS
    Previous:
    2017 Reflection 29RS
    Reese Sidewinder Hitch
    Platte Lake MN.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input - that is what I am thinking of. Do you find your braking sufficient for your unit. I was considering disc brakes - just wondering if you are happy with the drums.....

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your help and advice. I feel the hybrid 4400# axles are undersized for this unit especially since the bearings and the 10" drum brakes are still only rated for the 3500# axles. This is probably why they have upgraded to the 5200# axles.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gain control is set to max since I have always felt that I have insufficient braking. Service has always been done at either axle people or rv mechanics. Always check the hubs and wheels when stopping for gas by touch and using a heat gun. This last time, I checked 2 hrs before and, as always, they were cool.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel comfortable with them.
    My truck des most of the automatic brake on grades with exhaust and automatic downshifting.
    With new brakes I have the controller set to heavy electric, 8.5 and it seems ok.

I would like the disc on my next unit.
    OEM puck Pro 16K
    2021 Reflection 311BHS
    Previous:
    2017 Reflection 29RS
    Reese Sidewinder Hitch
    Platte Lake MN.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A question for you. When you upgraded your axles, did they have to weld on new frame hangers (the ones that hold the "correct track axle assembly")? I was told last year at the rally that to upgrade the axles to 5200# they would have to do this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast