User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrade water pump in Solitude 310GK?

I've read here about others who have been unable to pump antifreeze using the trailer's pump, and have used much of the advice given them. No joy, so I'm resigned to burning propane for another week or two until cold-night threats have passed.

When time and temps allow I'll explore the problem further but given that these pumps seem less than robustly-spec'd to do this job I'm wondering about upgrading the pump. Amazon lists a number of higher-flow options, a few claiming to be self-priming.

Does it make sense to go down this path? I know that a higher-flow pump would fill our tanks more quickly but we've so far always been on city water; our pump has not been used until this week trying to winterize. Seems to me that a 3-4 gph 40psi pump would improve that exercise, and if we boondocked occasionally we'd have to be careful with it.

If I do this, any recommendations for which pump to buy? Will most of the 12V pumps advertised with a PSI rating have the pressure-activated auto-on, auto-off feature on them?

Something like this?

https://www.amazon.ca/Amarine-made-W...ateway&sr=8-12

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by boyscout; 04-29-2019 at 11:37 AM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you hear your pump running when you turn the switch on? Sorry for the simple question but I haven't read the threads about people having trouble pumping anti-freeze. The pump in both my Reflection and Solitude worked fine for pumping anti-freeze. I just turn the dials on the Nautilus panel to Winterize, put a hose into an anti-freeze bottle then flip the water pump switch.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by boyscout View Post
    Does it make sense to go down this path? I know that a higher-flow pump would fill our tanks more quickly but we've so far always been on city water; our pump has not been used until this week trying to winterize. Seems to me that a 3-4 gph 40psi pump would improve that exercise, and if we boondocked occasionally we'd have to be careful with it.
    You normally don't use the pump to fill your tanks. The pump is used to winterize or sanitize the system. The normal pump provides plenty of water pressure for sinks, shower and toilet without changing it out.
    Jeff and Jen
    2016 F250 CC Lariat 4x4 6.7L, Firestone Airbags, Pullrite Superglide
    2017 Solitude 310GK, a little solar, a little lithium, disc brakes and a few suspension mods

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. - Ben Franklin

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Mark,

The replacement pump that you have identified, likely has the same specs as your OE pump (assuming it is the same as mine). 2.8 GPM & 45 psi vs 2.9 GPM & 50 psi. They do make higher capacity pumps, but you need to decide whether you want more volume or higher pressure . . . difficult to get both in a small pump.

As noted earlier, our OE pump provides sufficient volume and pressure. The most common cause for a pump not priming is outflow restriction. Make sure that you have one or more faucets open (to purge out the air) while the pump is trying to prime.

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4398.jpg  
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JColeman View Post
    You normally don't use the pump to fill your tanks. The pump is used to winterize or sanitize the system. The normal pump provides plenty of water pressure for sinks, shower and toilet without changing it out.
    My fault for being unclear... when I said "I know that a higher-flow pump would fill our tanks more quickly but we've so far always been on city water", I meant that I know that regular bath / kitchen use of taps will put more water in our tanks and fill them more quickly, IF we are using the higher-flow pump and not city water.

I was wondering if the higher-flow pump would be easier to prime and pump anti-freeze.
    Last edited by boyscout; 04-29-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bertschb View Post
    Can you hear your pump running when you turn the switch on? Sorry for the simple question but I haven't read the threads about people having trouble pumping anti-freeze. The pump in both my Reflection and Solitude worked fine for pumping anti-freeze. I just turn the dials on the Nautilus panel to Winterize, put a hose into an anti-freeze bottle then flip the water pump switch.
    Thanks, yes, pump is definitely running. Our Reflection, too, pumped well after it was primed. It did have to be primed, probably because we don't use the pump at all to pump water, we're always (so far) on city water.

Same thing in this Solitude, but the pump can't get going.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Hi Mark, The replacement pump that you have identified, likely has the same specs as your OE pump (assuming it is the same as mine). 2.8 GPM & 45 psi vs 2.9 GPM & 50 psi. They do make higher capacity pumps, but you need to decide whether you want more volume or higher pressure . . . difficult to get both in a small pump. As noted earlier, our OE pump provides sufficient volume and pressure. The most common cause for a pump not priming is outflow restriction. Make sure that you have one or more faucets open (to purge out the air) while the pump is trying to prime. Rob
    Thanks Rob, I saw references here to a Shurflo pump that has only 1.1gpm flow and just assumed most GD trailers would be the same. You know the origin of the word "assume" right?

I thought a higher-flow pump might prime more-readily.

So I guess I should love the pump I have, after I burrow into the basement and figure out why it isn't priming. I have had the low-point cold-water drain open when I've been trying to prime the pump. Nothing at all gets sucked in, even when the tube is elevated. When I blow a tube-full of antifreeze in with my mouth it goes in, got maybe two cups in that way, but no joy.

My propane guy now comes out smiling when he sees my truck pull into his lot.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you turn the screen around that is at the hose hookup? We had problems with sucking up antifreeze also until we read about that little trick.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
    Did you turn the screen around that is at the hose hookup? We had problems with sucking up antifreeze also until we read about that little trick.
    Yes, thanks.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you may have to go behind the "wall of shame" and look at the pump. There have been some talk of a cracked filter housing , round plastic clear thingy on inlet of pump , or even the pump not housing having some issues with cracks or diaphragm not correct. These issues will allow air in and not allowing suction or flow.
    Curious if your pump works when pulling water from the fresh water tank? If this works then the problem would be between the inlet and the pump.
    I know probably more useless info , just trying to cover all bases.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast