User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MidwestCamper View Post
    Its really hard to not exceed 2600 RPM headed down the on ramp on any expressway.....empty. Very odd your friend would think anything higher is abusing the engine. But I've seen worse eccentricities.
    I don't think the issue was "not exceeding 2600" his concern seemed to be greater than 2600 for extended periods of time and in lower gears. Which brings up a good question. When you're towing a 7000 lb load up a long grade; what gear and rpm is typical and for how long have you maintained that rpm. I would suspect there are lots of us who are new and have no clue what to expect. I traded my Tacoma for a Tundra last week. The Tacoma had no guts until it hit 5000 rpm. The prospect of running it continuous at 5000 made me very uncomfortable.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post
    I don't think the issue was "not exceeding 2600" his concern seemed to be greater than 2600 for extended periods of time and in lower gears. Which brings up a good question. When you're towing a 7000 lb load up a long grade; what gear and rpm is typical and for how long have you maintained that rpm. I would suspect there are lots of us who are new and have no clue what to expect. I traded my Tacoma for a Tundra last week. The Tacoma had no guts until it hit 5000 rpm. The prospect of running it continuous at 5000 made me very uncomfortable.
    toolman,

5k rpm consistently would indicate a vehicle that is both under powered and overloaded. With a properly equipped vehicle with proper cooling, and being within its towing and payload limits, this vehicle would be certified to climb Davis dam without issue. This is the where the SAE certs are performed.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is an "uncomfortable" feeling running gas engines at those high rpm's , but as stated above they are designed for that. I know it is comparing apples to oranges but , nascar engines turn something like 8000 rpm's while racing , well engineered though. At the high rpm's that all gas engines require to make the torque and horsepower to do the job they are engineered for that. The noise is one reason I went to diesel , but may return to gas if they ever build one that I like again.

Brian

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider the "marine application" of the gasoline engine . . . (these are slightly modified automotive/truck engines.) It is not uncommon for someone to push the throttles to wide open and leave them there for an hour. I never find the noise to be annoying . . . I find it to be "reassuring" . You are not going to damage any (properly cooled) gasoline engine by running it at 5000 RPM for an extended length of time.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I imagine most of you have seen these youtube videos: "Ike Gauntlet Towing Tests" where these two guys test run various trucks up the Continental Divide to the Eisenhower Tunnel. They tow anywhere from 5,000 lbs to 28,500 to see how different vehicles perform and compare.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...et+towing+test

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by toolman.dustin View Post
    I imagine most of you have seen these youtube videos: "Ike Gauntlet Towing Tests" where these two guys test run various trucks up the Continental Divide to the Eisenhower Tunnel. They tow anywhere from 5,000 lbs to 28,500 to see how different vehicles perform and compare.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...et+towing+test
    Yes I have. Not very scientific and they commonly mismatch trucks (final drive ratios) in their comparisons.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123