User Tag List

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chevy guy shopping for a Ford F450, help please

I have owned nothing but Chevrolet since I was 16. If I could wait around for the Chevy 2020's I might. But my 2013 Chevy is getting tired. I just put 5k in repairs and I am not confident in it doing the Seattle/NJ/TX loop. A discussion for another day.

So I am shopping Ford F450's. Not being a Ford guy I have trouble with the trim lines, Platinum, Lariat, XLS, STC etc. I have found an F450 that I am interested in; Newburg Ford F450

I am still fussing over the higher truck bed rail problem, not sure it is a problem, will just have to set my Momentum 376 on it and see, of course that takes extra effort on the part of the dealer, it'll be interesting.

The differential ratio is going to be important.

I am a no frills kind of guy, it's just stuff that will break. I have driven duallies a long time without back up cameras, leather seats, dual zone, chrome, back up assist, moon roofs, auto slide rear windows, Bluetooth etc. I plan on owning this truck 5 years and traveling 120, 000 miles most of it pulling a 20k 5th wheel.

So let er rip, all advise and information is welcome. Really important package information, opinions on doo dads, must have's, useless junk, do's, don'ts, beware of's, all of it.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Platinum edition, purchased used but wanted a center console and need to move into a Lariat plus to get it, this is what I had on previous truck. I also like heated and cooled seats, so again needed the higher end truck. It all the goodies eats into payload.
    Don and Brenda
    2014 F350 CC Platinum SRW SB
    2019 Reflection 337 build 8/19
    Andersen ultimate rail mount

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not a Ford owner, but someone posted a dealer online last week and I was impressed with the volume of F450s. Maybe you could use them for reference. https://www.brandonford.com/new-ford...0-drw-tampa-fl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by D2Reid View Post
    So I am shopping Ford F450's. Not being a Ford guy I have trouble with the trim lines, Platinum, Lariat, XLS, STC etc. I have found an F450 that I am interested in; Newburg Ford F450
    Dallas,
    When I was shopping for my truck, I found the Ford order guide very helpful in understanding what came with each trim level, package and what options required or excluded other options. Here is a link to the 2019 Ford order guide (hope the link works). The XL trim level is the bottom (stripper) and the Limited is the top (loaded) trim. The trim level descriptions are on pages 2 and 3. The STX is an appearance package, like the "chrome" and other packages. if you have specific questions, please ask. There have been a number of "what options should I get" threads on here. Should be able to find them with a search.

Good luck

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 05-01-2019 at 10:55 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The truck looks good. You do a lot of cold weather camping, I'm not sure if you go to places where you need an engine block heater,but the listing you provided does not indicate this truck has one. With Ford's 6.7L, they no longer offer the block heater element pre-installed unless the truck was slated to be sold at one of 11 states (not Oregon) or unless it was ordered with one. Good news, is that you can easily add the Ford block heater. Parts will run around $130 as long as you don't purchase from the dealership. Install seems easy, I haven't done it on mine yet, so I can only base that off of where the element would be installed and pictures i've seen online.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another dealer that's dominant is AkinsFord.com. I rode by there last month, and I've never seen so many vehicles--including SuperDutys with every bed imaginable already mounted.

The problem with SuperDuty trucks is that dealers either order them stripped like a company truck--or they're ordered Lariat or Limited as if price is no issue. Too nice or not nice enough. I suggest ordering one exactly to suit your needs and waiting the 6-8 weeks to get it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So let er rip, all advise and information is welcome. Really important package information, opinions on doo dads, must have's, useless junk, do's, don'ts, beware of's, all of it.
    If you haven't driven a Ford with Adaptive Cruise give it a try. I wouldn't buy another truck without it.

I made a spreadsheet and listed out all the options, if they came in a package, or if they were not available at all in a given trim level. I then marked them as "must have", "don't care", or "no way". It may make no sense to you, but if you'd like to see it shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.

Have fun with the search!

Here were my "Must Haves":
    4x4
    6.7L
    Adaptive Cruise
    Upfitter Switches
    Ultimate Trailer Tow Camera (see thread on the Naviks) Remember--without this camera system you may not be able to wire in Ford's TPMS system to your trailer (if desired).
    Tailgate Step w/grab bar
    Dual control climate control (means minimum trim is Lariat)

These features, if on truck, crossed that vehicle off the consideration list (didn't want stiff springs!):
    High Capacity Tow Pkg
    Snow Plow Pkg

What I didn't want to pay for:
    Rear inflatable seat belts
    Rapid heat supplement (I live in Florida!)
    Engine Block Htr
    Dual extra heavy duty alternators
    Rear heated outboard seats
    Chrome package
    Power TO
    Gooseneck hitch
    Moonroof

I ended up with the Platinum with the optional Platinum Ultimate Package (PUP). Though I ended up with features I didn't want to pay for, it was at worst a push versus ordering a truck with the exact configuration I desired. On top of that I found the exact color combo I wanted on a dealer's lot. (The internet is your friend.)
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our neighbor has a 2013 Chevy dually. He took it in for repairs and came back with a new Ford dually loaner. He parked it in the same place he always parked the Chevy but the Ford was too long and front was all the way out to the street where as the Chevy fit fine. I do really like the wide track front end on the F450's. They will turn on a dime.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been a Chevy guy all my life as well but when it was time to shop for my last new truck, I knew it was time to look at Ford (sorry, I'm not a Dodge - 'er Ram guy).

Here are some available features the Ford has that Chevy won't have until the 2020 model is released (and even then it may lack some):
    - Adaptive cruise control
    - Push button start
    - Telescoping steering wheel
    - Remote tailgate release
    - Power telescoping mirrors
    - Auto high beams
    - Rain sensing wipers
    - 7.5g DEF tank
    - 48g fuel tank
    - DEF gauge
    - Trailer TPMS
    - Heated rear seats
    - Seat massage
    - Can do manual regens
    - Can see DPF status
    - FORscan (to modify settings)
    - HD Radio
    - Auto emergency braking

I'm a gadget guy so I like some of the gadgets that make long travel days more comfortable and safer like:
    - Adaptive Cruise Control
    - Massaging seats
    - Heated and cooled seats
    - Auto high beams
    - Trailer TPMS system

I like the way the Platinum is outfitted. You only need to add a few options to make it pretty well set up for towing and comfort.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I looked at the big 3 (Ford, GM and RAM). Ford offered the F350 and F450. I had two requirements going into the buying process. Payload had to be over 5,000 lbs. and factory fuel capacity had to be 37 gallons or higher. GM fell off the list first on payload. RAM fell off the list on fuel capacity.

What I did learn about the F350 and F450 were two things. Payload was 1,000 lbs. less on the F450 and auto insurance in Minnesota was ridiculously more expensive. I made the F350 work even though the F450 had more commercial grade components.

I agree with Howard on several points and ended up custom ordering my Lariat. Adaptive cruise...can't live without it. Living in Minnesota, all the extra heating stuff was important...block heater, rear supplemental heater. I also got the 4:10 rear end and it pulls like a monster.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image 5-2-19 at 11.51 AM.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	19771
    Barb, Lyle and the 3 four-legged kids
    2015 Solitude 369RL #3521
    2018 Ford F350 DRW

“The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast