User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator Power Tripped Alternating Current (AC)

Yesterday, at storage site, connected inverter generator (Briggs and Stratton 30545 P3000) as I have done previously to get some chores done and to try one of the air conditioners off the generator for the 1st time (early May in MO, soon time to get freon circulating).

Microwave and refrigerator acknowledged 'electrical' connected.

Set main air conditioner to run (set it on high cool---that may be part of problem). After 5 sec delay, approximate, the air conditioner tried to kick on, I am pretty sure I heard the generator rev up but 3 seconds later, nothing.

No shore power at all.

Generator still running and NOT showing overload but also not 'seeing' any load.

My visual reference of microwave and refrigerator were also negative.

Hmmm. So where was that damn breaker panel located again? Pulling sleeper sofa away from wall and opening cover of panel, it appeared none of the AC breakers had tripped.

Regardless, flipped all to off then shut down generator then restarted generator then came back in and then switched "Main" breaker on and then "Microwave" breaker on (for that visual reference).

Nothing.

Throughout all DC power remained available.

Tried the restart process a couple of more times with same negative result.

Reading overnight I understand there is a converter and a transfer switch in this unit.

I can use a multi-tester to isolate problems but I have simply no idea where to begin looking for these items in a 2019 273MK produced in early March of this year.

Can anyone point in right direction to find these?

The unit will be a sweat box by June so no time to waste.

Thank you for your patience and forbearance for what may be a simple fix.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We could probably help more if we knew what you own...
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes
    2019 Reflection 5th Wheel 273MK

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @merunge
    Welcome to the forum , sorry for the circumstances.
    Unless you special ordered this unit with a generator package of some kind you do not have a transfer switch , unless you installed one yourself.
    I will guess you may have tripped something on the generator , the breaker panel in the RV is the only thing that controls the AC current.
    The converter "converts" AC to DC to charge the battery and provide power to everything with 12 volt requirements while plugged into shore power. You will have 12 volt power from the battery all the time unless your battery is dead.

Brian

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you check the breaker on the generator itself? If that is not tripped, then use your meter and start checking for voltage. Start at the generator plug and keep working your way to the trailer, then breaker panel, then the breaker for the A/C unit. If you make it all the way to there and you have power, the next step is to remove the inside cover for the A/C unit and make sure that voltage is at the box where it comes into the unit. Well stop right here for now and report back what you find.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has to be something on the generator, especially since you say you are not getting any 120 power anywhere inside coach.

As others have said, there is no transfer switch on a Reflection.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by merunge View Post
    Generator still running and NOT showing overload but also not 'seeing' any load.
    Indicator light on generator burned out? I'd try the RESET button on the generator even though the light isn't lit. (Try plugging in any small electrical appliance to one of the standard outlets on the generator to see if it works.)

Here's the manual in case you don't have one: https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...5%20Manual.pdf

Edit: If your refrigerator was running (just starting up) you were likely pulling up to 16 amps. The converter was also likely trying to charge your battery. You may have inadvertently overloaded the generator when you tried to start the air conditioner.

I suggest you turn off the circuit breakers for the circuits you don't want powered, and put the refrigerator on propane when you want to run the air conditioner off your 30A generator.
    Last edited by howson; 05-02-2019 at 05:49 AM.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Brian. I will have the opportunity to connect to line AC later today. My fingers are crossed that your supposition on the generator is correct.
    And, no, no special power options were ordered.
    I will post progress.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to earn a living for the next 8 hours.
    I will attack this again tonight and advise all of progress or lack thereof.
    Thank you

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To all who offered advice and suggestions, a sincere thank you.

I simply went to a site with shore power, plugged in (with my Progressive EMS) and after waiting for what seemed like an eternity, the microwave gave me a beep!

So next week, after a 4 day trip to see some tulips, I will look into the generator. I am certain I overlooked the existing refrigerator amps when I triggered the big AC unit on High.

Thank you again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast