User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New F-350

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a GMC CCLB pulling our Solitude 369RL. And, of course, it pulled the Solitude like it wasn't even there. Except around corners at hi way speeds on broken pavement, or uneven and rough pavement that had you bouncing a lot. I was just over my GVWR and close on the back axle and was worried about weight when we start doing extended traveling in a couple years, so I broke down and bought a 2018 F350 dually. I was feeling badly about the financial hit I took until our first trip through the mountains. I turned to my wife and said, " This was worth every penny. Through three trucks and three different fivers I have never felt so comfortable and confident, so in control, as I do right now." As far as a daily driver, if you can drag a 36 ft fiver (or larger) all over the country, you can certainly manage a dually as a daily driver. I do.

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Farfaraway View Post
    I had a GMC CCLB pulling our Solitude 369RL. And, of course, it pulled the Solitude like it wasn't even there. Except around corners at hi way speeds on broken pavement, or uneven and rough pavement that had you bouncing a lot. I was just over my GVWR and close on the back axle and was worried about weight when we start doing extended traveling in a couple years, so I broke down and bought a 2018 F350 dually. I was feeling badly about the financial hit I took until our first trip through the mountains. I turned to my wife and said, " This was worth every penny. Through three trucks and three different fivers I have never felt so comfortable and confident, so in control, as I do right now." As far as a daily driver, if you can drag a 36 ft fiver (or larger) all over the country, you can certainly manage a dually as a daily driver. I do.
    I agree. There was a big "ouch factor" for me too when I went from my F250 CrewCab, 4x4, diesel to my current truck... a F350, 4x4, CrewCab, diesel Dually. But the first time out with it towing made it all worth while. I then realized that the normal color of my knuckles was NOT snow white!
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My .02, They have said it all and gave good advice no matter what brand you buy.
    For us it was all about payload. Yes to get those big numbers it has to DRW. It is so much of an investment (as in that other thread) you don't want to make a mistake. We all get it. IMO a little inconvenience parking and such is no match for Payload, capability and stability.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The CAT scales are your friend. You need to get an accurate loaded pin weight on the fifth wheel. The published pin weights are empty and mean nothing. Our loaded 337 puts over 3,000 lbs. on the pin - likely above the remaining rear payload on most 3/4-ton trucks... which is why we moved from a 3/4-ton SRW to a 1-ton DRW. Load up and head for the scales before you make big decisions and spend more money.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew I would find good advice from all of you. We plan on a lot of traveling for the next few years and I think the dually makes the most sense. I called the dealer this afternoon to see what he could find otherwise we will probably order one. Thanks to all of you for the help. Now for some advice on color's. Thanks again, Boomer.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer58 View Post
    We plan on a lot of traveling for the next few years and I think the dually makes the most sense.
    The nice thing about having a late model diesel DRW truck?
    - You avoid becoming a member of the two-time TV club
    - Your wife can bring her sewing machine and bread maker
    - You get CAT scale weights just because you're curious, not because it matters
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will add my two cents here. Previous to our 6000 mi outing last summer, I had never owned or even driven a pickup truck or RV. I ended up with a F450 because I was worried about stability in crosswinds and in panic braking situations. The advantage of the 450 is its brakes have literally twice the surface area for the brake pads to stop the vehicle. That's a lot of extra braking power. And the wide track of the 450 allows me to make a U-turn where the 350 would need to do a 3-point maneuver.

The cost of the 450 vs 350 is insubstantial. The penalty you pay is it's more expensive to insure. It has commercial rated tires on 19.5" rims so you're stuck with just a few expensive tire options, and the tires tend to follow grooves and broken pavement unless you air them down.

As the dually is not may daily driver, I have the luxury of not worrying about fitting through drive throughs, car washes, parking structures, etc, because you will NOT fit.

BUT, the darn thing is super stable at speed with a load. In moderate crosswinds driving through Montana, I felt nothing. In Okanagan, B.C. when I came around a blind curve to find a bunch of cars stopped in the middle of the road and I had to panic hit the brakes, we stopped just in time to avoid a bad accident.

I was able to maneuver into tight campsites in small RV parks.

When I just drive the truck without the trailer, I've gotten used to the width of the tail end. The mirrors are your friend. I use them as a constant guide to make sure I'm in-between the lines. The 360 degree camera on the new Superduties is a lifesaver. It's so good you can see all around you and park the truck into spots you'd have a really hard time getting into otherwise. I find backing in is much easier than heading in.

Yes, the bedrails are really high. But hitched up, my Reflection sits just about perfectly level.

After our experience last year, I'm a strong advocate for a dually. Unless you really need the tighter turning radius of the 450, it may be better for you to go with the 350. There are way more 350 duallies sitting on dealer's lots. You should be able to drive a hard bargain.

Join the Mustang Club of America and get qualified for Ford's X-plan. That will save you a ton of money. On top of that get that $3000 savings certificate linked to earlier.

Good luck. If you have questions post them here or PM me.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TheLexx’s post about DRW and the F450 is spot on.

I debated for months about which DRW to get (350 or 450). The payloads are so close they don’t come into factor.

The turn radius is significantly better on the 450. The brakes are better too. Since we opted to go with Independent Suspension on our trailer, which replace the trailer drum brakes with disc, that gave the 350 an extra point back.

The other factors that swayed me to the 350:

Insurance Cost - Less
    Tires - non commercial
    Availability on dealer lot - negotiated 14.5% off msrp.
    4.10 rear vs 4.30.

At the end of the day, towing a big 5’er is far more comfortable (giving you the confidence) in a DRW. The stability and piece of mind is reassuring, especially when you have precious cargo (kids & wife).

I will be honest, I’m jealous of that widetrack front axle (f450) when I’m maneuvering in tight spots.

//chile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SW of ATL
    2018 F350 CC DRW
    2019 Momentum 394M

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dually will be your best friend.

Our 2017 F-350 Lariat CC LB DRW has a CCC of 5,411 #'s.
    That, along with the stability sold it for us.

Don't pass up the $2,500/$3,000 PCO, (Private Cash Offer), as mentioned above, ask for the help being offered. It can make that or any other option easier to take.
    The PCO is on top of any other rebates being offered nationally AND in your area for the Super Duty.
    Not sure if it will sit on top of any X-Plan you might be able to get.

Our 337RLS is on order and cannot wait to get it hooked up as it is our first 5th wheel. Delivery date is 5/20/19.

P.S. Be sure to DRIVE a hard bargain with that dealer, let them know they will make a lot of money on a lot of customers coming through the doors. BUT, YOU are not one of THEM and you will be happy to help them reach their monthly sales goal this month but they will have to sharpen their pencil to get your sale. Make the excellent deal, then have them add, (deduct if you will), any dealer, national & local rebates then your $2,500/3,000 PCO to get you your final price. Don't let them tell you that the rebates are part of your price. Negotiate the bottom line price, THEN deduct your rebates/PCO. Remember, they do this every day and are Pro's at it. Be straight, tough and honest with them that you are going to buy if the price is right. If you don't get what you want, WALK. I have walked on my last three car deals and have had them call me before I even left their parking lot and told me they talked to their Sales Manager and they said, "Make the Deal". Told them all I already left but if I can get a full tank of diesel and another $250 off my last offer, its a deal. Worked every time.
    Then, please read the contract to be sure it has in it all the stuff you talked about and agreed to. Write it down when negotiating so you don't get confused.
    Yes, there are some GREAT dealers out there but there are too many that are not, so buyer beware.

Sorry for the rant or to hijack the thread but.........................trying to help.
    Last edited by rjswift; 05-07-2019 at 03:23 PM.
    Bob & Sheran
    2017 Ford F350 DRW CC LB Lariat 6.7 PS
    Companion 5th Wheel Hitch in Ford Pucks
    2020 Reflections 337RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerryr View Post
    I’ve been towing my 2017 337RLS for 2 years with a F350 CCSB SRW Diesel. I initially bought a 2017 off the lot then later special ordered a 2019 F350 6.7L CCSB. I special ordered to get options I didn’t have on the 2017 that I wanted and I had a $3000 Private Cash Offer to buy a new one. The 17 was a Lariat w/value pkg and the 19 is Lariat w/ultimate pkg, BLIS, Adaptive Cruise, Power Running boards, LED Head&Tail lamps, Tow Technology pkg, Roof clearance lights etc.

The 2017 had a payload of 3500#s and the 19 has a payload of 3523#s. I use mostly all of the available payload. Here are my weights

2800-2900#s Trailer pin weight loaded for trips
    40#s Andersen 5th wheel hitch
    60#s BakFlip F1 bed cover
    400#s total me and wife
    50#s dog, Parrot and Parrot cage
    50#s tools, cooler and misc stuff in back seat

So I’m right at 3400-3500 lbs.

It tows great. I had disc brakes installed on the 337RLS and that improved stopping power exponentially.

If you have 8 weeks you may want to consider special ordering one. Most dealers will order one and sell it at invoice price less any incentives, Rebates and PCO.

IF YOUR PLANNING ON BUYING A NEW SUPERDUTY, DRW OR SRW, SEND ME A PM. There’s a $2,500-$3,000 PCO out there that expires 7/1/19. If you frequent the Ford Truck Forum several members have ability to generate the PCO. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/

Here’s a PCO I was able to help my neighbor get just last week.

boomer58,

Check this out, it IS for real! Regardless of your final decision, SRW or DRW. get the PCO!
    Bob & Sheran
    2017 Ford F350 DRW CC LB Lariat 6.7 PS
    Companion 5th Wheel Hitch in Ford Pucks
    2020 Reflections 337RLS

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast