User Tag List

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: New F-350

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I've got an "older" F350 Dually (2016 model) and feel fortunate because it's got the 3.73 rear end....best of both worlds IMHO. BTW, I towed a 20K GVWR Momentum 394.
    Ditto here on the 3.73 rear end. Just looked at the window sticker of the truck and that was a $350 option. BTW, here's the original sticker:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ford F350 Window sticker.pdf 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	20052
    Last edited by jim1521; 05-14-2019 at 10:54 AM.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my 2017 F350 SRW only had payload of 3100 lbs, as it had 4 wheel drive and other weighty items. With the Solitude 375RES the pin weight and cargo came in around 3400/3500. I towed with this for a year with no problems other than the nagging thought in the back of my head knowing I was 200-400 lbs over payload capacity at any given time. Also I only filled up the 48 gallon tank half full to mitigate some of the overweight. More diesel stops.
    Come July 2018 I gave in to the voices -) and found a 2017 f350 duelly maxed out with 10k more options than I had, for 10k under MSRP. Flew to salt lake city to pick it up and drove it back to sacramento.
    I use it as a semi-daily driver when not on the road, and have no issues with it in this mode. As for parking, we always park it on the outskirts of parking lots, with the logic that we are burning off more weight with the extra hike to the store.
    With ~5k payload, now i use the full 48 gallon capacity, and do notice the extra stability when in windy conditions. And it cranks up the grades with power to spare.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a 2014 6.7 F250, and upgraded is in 2017 to the F350 SRW for almost of the comments I've seen on GVWR and tongue ratings. I did add 5000# airbags to put the rake back into the new truck, so that once my 337 sits down, my back end isn't squatting.

I haven't any real problems with the SRW except for high cross winds (which I should have just pulled over).

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 4.35.16 PM.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	796.0 KB 
ID:	20102
    Last edited by mestubbe; 05-16-2019 at 03:35 PM.
    2017 F350 Lariat
    Co-Pilot RV Navigation System
    Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Package
    B&W Companion 25K
    Trail Air 18K King Pin
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    Winegard Connect 2.0 4G/LTE Wifi Extender
    Winegard Traveler HD Antenna
    Honda EU3000is Generator onboard
    Boston Whaler Dauntless Boat

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fifthwheelst.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer58 View Post
    Good evening everyone, hope everyone is well. I have a couple of questions about a new F-350 and I would like to get a couple of opinions from some of you. I purchased a 2017 F-250 with the 6.7 diesel. We then bought our 337RLS. According to the spec sheet, we were within the proper weight limits for towing abilities. The truck seems to handle it fine but I think I am right at the limit for towing capacity. We will be going full time in just a couple of months and plan to do some extensive traveling across the US and also Canada. We will end up in SW Florida for the winters. I had decided to trade the F-250 for a F-350 DRW as that would certainly be plenty of truck for the 337. I could not seem to find the right one so I started asking questions about a SRW and went to the dealer yesterday to look at some weight ratings on the SRW. My current truck has a rating of 14,700 lbs. for a 5th wheel / gooseneck. The 2019 F-350 4x4 SRW 6.7 has a rating of 20,700 which will be plenty for our 337 which has a dry weight 10,570 and loaded rating of 13,995 lbs. The SRW would be a lot easier as it will be our only vehicle while traveling but would the Dually be worth it for the towing ease in the mountains and wind across the plains ? I am really leaning toward the SRW but would like some of your thoughts as a lot of you have been towing 5th wheels much longer than I have. Once I get this settled, I'll be hitting you up about full time stuff. Thank you for reading this and I appreciate your input, Boomer.
    I own a Momentum 381 M class 42ft 5th wheel and I pull it with a 2016 King Ranch F350 SRW. I am old and I am a retired farmer so please forgive my opinionatedness!!! LOL, I can't help it. I bought the F350 for the 4 more splines in rear axle and the heavier springs (they are the same in the DRW). I have needed and enjoyed a DRW pulling liquids and livestock but I really don't see the point with a solid load. Personally, i like the idea of pulling through the Wendys drive through when I don't have the camper on the back of the truck. I can also impart to you that the weight rating charts (while important) are way way way on the safe side for what your trucks can do. You can't go wrong with either truck but don't buy the dually because it has a bigger number on the paper. The modern trailer sway technology in the current trucks and a well designed and aligned trailer remove that seat of the pants driving feel we used to employ to control the towed load.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, and here are the specs as of 2017. And your not opinionated, just "seasoned" as my wife tells me.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 5.32.09 PM.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	20104
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2019-05-16 at 4.35.16 PM.png  
    Last edited by mestubbe; 05-16-2019 at 04:35 PM.
    2017 F350 Lariat
    Co-Pilot RV Navigation System
    Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Package
    B&W Companion 25K
    Trail Air 18K King Pin
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    Winegard Connect 2.0 4G/LTE Wifi Extender
    Winegard Traveler HD Antenna
    Honda EU3000is Generator onboard
    Boston Whaler Dauntless Boat

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you haven't made up your mind yet about which truck to get a couple of months ago I gathered a bunch of information concerning available payloads of the different trucks in different configurations. I was surprised to find that my F150 had almost as much payload as an F250 with the diesel and 4x4. I did this to help me decide what my next truck was going to be. I have attached the information in PDF form. If you can't open it I also have it in a word document.

Dale
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Payload.pdf  
    Dale & Tammy
    Retired U. S Army and Retired Helicopter Pilot
    2021 Ford F-350, 6.7L Diesel, 4x4, Lariat Ultimate
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2670MK (sold)
    2022 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 350 diesel dually to tow our Solitude 310, I could squeak by with a SRW which I wanted since it's my daily driver, but I'm glad I didn't. I'm just finishing up installing a 46 gal auxiliary tank plus a huge tool box, (8' bed). the SRW wouldn't handle it. That plus being new to towing, we just retired and will be heading out west to visit national parks and the dual wheels give me a lot of peace of mind. I also just installed the Ford TPMS that ties in the 4 wheels on the trailer, works great so far. It's hard decision, the only thing I wished I had done was by a 450 for the better turning ratio.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am in awe of all your responses. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I have talked to a couple of dealers and waiting patiently for their prices. I have been working non stop getting the house ready to sell so we could go full time by early August. I want to have the truck all ready to go by the end of June. I just got dealt a blow last week and will require surgery in the near future which puts everything on hold for a couple months. We will probably get the truck and just park it in the garage until everything blows over. All is good, just a bump in the road. I sincerely appreciate all of your help with this, Boomer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a F-350 SDW 4x4 and a Solitude 310GK. What Ford says about towing capacity is important and you have bought one on the best towing pickups on the face of the planet. This info while important it is not what really counts. First the info you need will come from the DMV where you registered your pickup. We are in CA and if your 2019 F-350 has a 11,400lb GVWR then your pickup will be a pickup, if not it will be a motor truck (a commercial vehicle) which would be the 11,500lb GVWR. Also, if you had purchased all of the towing bells and whistles, you could have had a 28,700 towing capacity according to Ford. But in CA, here's the rub, with pickup having a 11,400lb GVWR and a 5th wheel RV with a 15,000lb GVWR mathematically you should have a 26,400lb GCRW but CA only gives you a 26,000 GCRW. Then you need to determine what you state allows for the trailer axles and the front and rear axles of the pickup. Then you need to be on top on the weight you transfer from the trailer to the pickup through the tongue weight and how that impacts the GVWR for the pickup and the rear axle. It is complex and you must study it or you will get weighed and be overloaded some place or worse, you have an accident and because you were overloaded your insurance did not cover your accident.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast