Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New F-350

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New F-350

Good evening everyone, hope everyone is well. I have a couple of questions about a new F-350 and I would like to get a couple of opinions from some of you. I purchased a 2017 F-250 with the 6.7 diesel. We then bought our 337RLS. According to the spec sheet, we were within the proper weight limits for towing abilities. The truck seems to handle it fine but I think I am right at the limit for towing capacity. We will be going full time in just a couple of months and plan to do some extensive traveling across the US and also Canada. We will end up in SW Florida for the winters. I had decided to trade the F-250 for a F-350 DRW as that would certainly be plenty of truck for the 337. I could not seem to find the right one so I started asking questions about a SRW and went to the dealer yesterday to look at some weight ratings on the SRW. My current truck has a rating of 14,700 lbs. for a 5th wheel / gooseneck. The 2019 F-350 4x4 SRW 6.7 has a rating of 20,700 which will be plenty for our 337 which has a dry weight 10,570 and loaded rating of 13,995 lbs. The SRW would be a lot easier as it will be our only vehicle while traveling but would the Dually be worth it for the towing ease in the mountains and wind across the plains ? I am really leaning toward the SRW but would like some of your thoughts as a lot of you have been towing 5th wheels much longer than I have. Once I get this settled, I'll be hitting you up about full time stuff. Thank you for reading this and I appreciate your input, Boomer.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 303 and a 2500 Ram. It’s a good match, but I’m glad to hear you’re interested in moving up. The only thing I can get in my garage is a short bed SRW so that would be my choice. If I were full timing I would definitely have a dually with a 337 and up. We’ve pulled 30,000 miles with our set up in all weather with no issues. I would like to have a 3.73 rear end however in stead of my 3.43 which is my only choice in a 2500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boomer58,
    There are multiple opinions on the subject. The limitation on the F-250 diesel is not the tow rating, it is the GVWR which is 10,000 pounds. The GVWR of a SRW F-350 is 11,000 (I think) and the GVWR for the DRW F-350 is 14,000 pounds.

Not knowing the actual weight of your 337, I would guess you are possibly maxed if not over the GVWR of your current TV. The cost difference is negligible between a new SRW F-350 and DRW F-350. but you will gain 4,000 in payload (in theory) with the DRW compared to 1,000 with the SRW.

JMHO but the DRW would allow for other future mods should you choose, such as solar, larger fuel tank etc.

My recommendation would be to take your 337 loaded as you use it, to the scales and determine the actual pin weight and then chose the TV.

The DRW would be my choice
    Last edited by GeoffnCheri; 05-06-2019 at 07:41 PM.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Seasoned Camper Dreamin' Dreamers's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boomer: Can I assume you are familiar with the Ford Truck Enthusiast Forum? Many SRW/DRW fence sitters sway to DRW because two extra wheels mean extra stability. All that rubber back there. I tow a 315 RLTS with a F-350 SRW and at times when running in the asphalt grooves carved by my fellow 18 wheelers it is a little squirrely. Wondering if the same effect occurs with a dually......? Otherwise my Super Duty is aptly named=Just does a Super job at everything its tasked, including daily driving. I love my truck.
    Duane, Mary Jo, and Milo the dog = Full Timers.
    2019 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat 4x4 6.7 psd
    2019 GD Momentum 351M
    2016 BMW R1200 GS

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve been towing my 2017 337RLS for 2 years with a F350 CCSB SRW Diesel. I initially bought a 2017 off the lot then later special ordered a 2019 F350 6.7L CCSB. I special ordered to get options I didn’t have on the 2017 that I wanted and I had a $3000 Private Cash Offer to buy a new one. The 17 was a Lariat w/value pkg and the 19 is Lariat w/ultimate pkg, BLIS, Adaptive Cruise, Power Running boards, LED Head&Tail lamps, Tow Technology pkg, Roof clearance lights etc.

The 2017 had a payload of 3500#s and the 19 has a payload of 3523#s. I use mostly all of the available payload. Here are my weights

2800-2900#s Trailer pin weight loaded for trips
    40#s Andersen 5th wheel hitch
    60#s BakFlip F1 bed cover
    400#s total me and wife
    50#s dog, Parrot and Parrot cage
    50#s tools, cooler and misc stuff in back seat

So I’m right at 3400-3500 lbs.

It tows great. I had disc brakes installed on the 337RLS and that improved stopping power exponentially.

If you have 8 weeks you may want to consider special ordering one. Most dealers will order one and sell it at invoice price less any incentives, Rebates and PCO.

IF YOUR PLANNING ON BUYING A NEW SUPERDUTY, DRW OR SRW, SEND ME A PM. There’s a $2,500-$3,000 PCO out there that expires 7/1/19. If you frequent the Ford Truck Forum several members have ability to generate the PCO. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum279/

Here’s a PCO I was able to help my neighbor get just last week.

Last edited by Jerryr; 05-05-2019 at 11:33 PM.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Payload is likely the limiting weight factor when towing a 5th wheel. The tire and loading label on the door post. The “Combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed” weight aka Payload. Each truck is different depending on options installed. A typical F250 SRW diesel payload will be around 2300 lbs and a similar equipped F350 SRW around 3500 lbs.

Here’s mine showing a payload of 3523 lbs.

Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I appreciate all of your quick replies. I don't want to make a mistake wen I purchase this truck. I have the weights already but did not want to post them on a public forum. I will be asking some more info on this later when I have a little more time. Thanks to all of you for the info, I owe you all a ber around the campsite when we get to meet up, Boomer.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A DRW will give you some more stability and obviously more payload as stated above in the event you upsize. A DRW as a daily driver is no big deal, although it is noticable in parking lots. I think the wide fenders give people hesitation, but in actuality, the mirrors on SRW/DRW stick out further than the fenders. Whatever you choose, a one ton is a smart move.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer58 View Post
    ...and I appreciate your input, Boomer.
    Boomer,
    I've posted many times before about my situation, so I'll just write that when I was where you are what tipped me to the DRW was the hope that no matter what the DW may decide in the future I had the truck to meet her expectations. I don't regret the decision for a second.

Click on my username and look at my profile picture. You'll see both trucks sitting in my driveway. (I really liked that 250--hated to see it drive away!)

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to second two of the comments above.
    1) As Jerry noted, pay attention to cargo capacity.
    2) As FT4NOW noted, the dually is not a bad daily driver; parking is the challenge. I do find (I have a long bed as well as a dually), that I do not fit in many parking spaces; my garage is out of the question. I am used to parking in the distant areas of larger parking lots.

That said, no regret with the dually.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast