User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: New F-350

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are in California, you need a recreational trailers endorsement if your fifth wheel is between 10-15k lbs. This endorsement on your class C license is known internally as “restriction 41”. You will need to take a written exam and the endorsement is printed on your license.

If your fifth wheel wheel is over 15k lbs GVW, you will need a class A non-commercial license. For this you will need to take a written test, get an medical exam, and take a driving test with what you are planning to tow. This is not that easy of a test.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RV-license-classes.png 
Views:	34 
Size:	441.5 KB 
ID:	20119
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Lexx. I heard California was getting strict on that. Class A CDL here with Tank endorsement.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

F350 SRW works great

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer58 View Post
    Good evening everyone, hope everyone is well. I have a couple of questions about a new F-350 and I would like to get a couple of opinions from some of you. I purchased a 2017 F-250 with the 6.7 diesel. We then bought our 337RLS. According to the spec sheet, we were within the proper weight limits for towing abilities. The truck seems to handle it fine but I think I am right at the limit for towing capacity. We will be going full time in just a couple of months and plan to do some extensive traveling across the US and also Canada. We will end up in SW Florida for the winters. I had decided to trade the F-250 for a F-350 DRW as that would certainly be plenty of truck for the 337. I could not seem to find the right one so I started asking questions about a SRW and went to the dealer yesterday to look at some weight ratings on the SRW. My current truck has a rating of 14,700 lbs. for a 5th wheel / gooseneck. The 2019 F-350 4x4 SRW 6.7 has a rating of 20,700 which will be plenty for our 337 which has a dry weight 10,570 and loaded rating of 13,995 lbs. The SRW would be a lot easier as it will be our only vehicle while traveling but would the Dually be worth it for the towing ease in the mountains and wind across the plains ? I am really leaning toward the SRW but would like some of your thoughts as a lot of you have been towing 5th wheels much longer than I have. Once I get this settled, I'll be hitting you up about full time stuff. Thank you for reading this and I appreciate your input, Boomer.

We bought a F350SRW crew cab with the 8' bed to tow our 337RLS, and we find it very well paired for the task. While a dually provides extra suspension stability, we were concerned about the ease of using it as our daily driver as it is just so big. While not full-timers, we have not had any issues towing with the SRW and found it more than adequate in the hills and mountains. We live in Colorado and that's a good testing ground. Best of luck.
    2017 GD 337RLS & 2019 Ford F350

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have finally figured out what we want for a truck. F-350, Duel rear wheel, 6.7 Power stroke, Crew cab. I originally wanted the 3.55 rear end because I thought that it would be better on fuel vs. the 4.10. Someone posted a link to an article about gearing and it stated that the 4.10 might actually be better when pulling heavy loads due to the fact that the motor doesn't work as hard under load which made sense. I am having a very hard time finding the right truck with a 3.55 (with the fifth wheel puck system) but there are an awful lot of ones with a 4.10 with lots of choices in colors and options. I may now lean toward the 4.10. I have found one that is 250 miles away and they seem like they want to deal. Will have more info tomorrow.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...the 4.10 might actually be better when pulling heavy loads due to the fact that the motor doesn't work as hard under load which made sense.
    Boomer,
    There's no doubt the 4.10 gears will allow the engine to pull heavy loads with less effort, but what defines "heavy"? The other side of the coin is long-term ownership cost due to fuel consumption.

The GCWR of my setup is north of 20K lbs, probably more like 21K with the Goldwing in the truck bed. (The truck alone is 9.3K lbs unloaded.) My towing experience is admittedly very limited to the southeast and ~9K miles, but I'm very satisfied with the performance of the 3.55 gears with the 6.7L.

FYI, my '17 was special ordered by the original owner--I suspect that is why it has the 3.55 gears.

Below is a (short) history of my fuel mileage with the 3.55 gears. (Just food for thought.)

Name:	MPG.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	20342
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although 4.10 gears aren't "necessary" in the new F-350 diesel for towing heavy loads, I chose them because in the end towing performance was more important to me than fuel mileage. Based on all the research I've done, I'm probably getting about 1mpg less than a comparable truck with 3.55 gears. But, fuel prices swing by 20% every few months and I don't lose sleep over that.

Do I wish I had 3.55 gears when driving empty on the freeway? Absolutely. But, it's much more important to me to know I have a higher axle ratio while towing my 16,000lb 5th wheel up hills.

I look at this kind of like I look at fuel mileage in my Corvette Z06. It gets 20mpg and uses premium fuel. But I didn't buy the Z06 for gas mileage and I didn't buy my truck for that either. My DRW truck with 4.10 gears is meant for towing heavy loads - up steep hills when encountered - and it excels at that.

I'm not slamming anybody for getting 3.55 gears. The Ford's powertrain does a fantastic job with 3.55 gears. Pretty amazing really. At the end of the day I feel better about having 4.10 gears just like I feel better about having Sailun tires on my RV. Do whatever makes you feel better Boomer!
    Last edited by bertschb; 05-28-2019 at 02:24 PM.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting.....my 450 with the 4.3 gears gets essentially similar mileage. Towing our relatively light Reflection 28bh last summer on a 6000 mil road trip, we go 8.5-9.8 mpg depending if there were big grades involved. There were some areas like the Canadian Rockies and the Cascades in Washington, where we were ascending some pretty good grades. At no time did I feel like we lacked for power or braking.

Unhitched, the truck gets 12-14.5 depending on the mix of city/freeway driving.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised this monster of a truck gets such good mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Boomer,
    There's no doubt the 4.10 gears will allow the engine to pull heavy loads with less effort, but what defines "heavy"? The other side of the coin is long-term ownership cost due to fuel consumption.

The GCWR of my setup is north of 20K lbs, probably more like 21K with the Goldwing in the truck bed. (The truck alone is 9.3K lbs unloaded.) My towing experience is admittedly very limited to the southeast and ~9K miles, but I'm very satisfied with the performance of the 3.55 gears with the 6.7L.

FYI, my '17 was special ordered by the original owner--I suspect that is why it has the 3.55 gears.

Below is a (short) history of my fuel mileage with the 3.55 gears. (Just food for thought.)

Name:	MPG.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	20342

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Brian & Kellie, Lexx, and Howsen for your posts and also everyone else who replied. I have found a truck that I have been watching for over a month now and it has a 4.10. I finally emailed the dealer based on the internet price on Sunday night and they responded right back to me early Monday morning (Memorial Day). I was coming back from Indy so I told them I would talk to them today when I arrived home. I was prepared to drive 4 hours tomorrow morning until they starting backing down on their original quotes. I questioned their tactics and finally told them I won't be out. That's when the fun began, the internet sales person called, the manager called, then the business manager called, all of the sudden there was all of this interest in the truck with everyone inquiring about this truck but if I put down $500.00 on my card they could hold it for me for a couple days. I will wait this one out and see where it goes. I figured that what I could save on the cost of the truck would offset the extra cost of fuel that it would use in it's lifetime. Right now, time is on my side as it will be parked for awhile anyways. I'll keep you posted, Boomer.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boomer, what I learned when truck/car shopping is never go by what the dealers "say" or "promise" you verbally. Ask for everything in writing.

When I bought my truck, no dealer had a 450 in Ruby Red. I used Autotrader to do a search for new vehicles. It turns on there was one in Ruby Red, and only one, west of the Mississippi. I negotiated everything over the internet. EVERY car dealer has an internet sales guy these days. I had done my homework before and shopped around a bunch of dealers on the net. So I know what the ballpark price should be.

I also joined the Mustang Club of America for something like $25, which gave me access to Ford's X-Plan. X-Plan gets you the truck at dealer's invoice and limits the fees dealers can charge you. Then on the Ford Trucks Forum, I learned Ford was offering $750 Personal Cash. So I got that as well. I'm not sure if it's expired yet, but Ford was offering $3k Personal Cash. Look into it!

So get the X-Plan and have a game plan on what you're looking for as far as equipment. Then just email as many dealers within the radius of how far you're willing to travel. Play them against each other to get the best price. Don't step out the door until you've got a contract for the truck emailed to you and you're satisfied to give them some earnest money.

Do it this way and the stress of truck buying will be a thing of the past. Good luck!

Thanks Brian & Kellie, Lexx, and Howsen for your posts and also everyone else who replied. I have found a truck that I have been watching for over a month now and it has a 4.10. I finally emailed the dealer based on the internet price on Sunday night and they responded right back to me early Monday morning (Memorial Day). I was coming back from Indy so I told them I would talk to them today when I arrived home. I was prepared to drive 4 hours tomorrow morning until they starting backing down on their original quotes. I questioned their tactics and finally told them I won't be out. That's when the fun began, the internet sales person called, the manager called, then the business manager called, all of the sudden there was all of this interest in the truck with everyone inquiring about this truck but if I put down $500.00 on my card they could hold it for me for a couple days. I will wait this one out and see where it goes. I figured that what I could save on the cost of the truck would offset the extra cost of fuel that it would use in it's lifetime. Right now, time is on my side as it will be parked for awhile anyways. I'll keep you posted, Boomer.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have time, Special Order one exactly the way you want it equipped. You won’t have to pay for options you wouldn’t use and you get every option you want.

That’s what I did. Plus I had X-plan, $250 USAA Cash, Standard cash rebates and $3,000 PCO.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast