User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maintenance Schedule for your 3500 diesel

I took my 2018 Ram 3500 to the dealership to get the drag link recall work done and asked about oil/fuel filter maintenance - wanted to get a price as well for comparison reasons. Service guy told me to go by the computer - get the oil and filters changes when the truck tells you to do so.

Do people do that? I know that the maintenance intervals are further apart on a diesel, and the some people change their oil every 3K miles, but would like to know what others do. My readout currently states 62/63 percent life remaining for the filter and oil respectively. Mileage is 5720.

Thanks!
    2018 Reflection 303 RLS
    2018 Ram BigHorn 3500 CTD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I go by the computer, around 13/15,000 miles.
    I talked to them, and that’s what they said to do. I have a 125,000 mile warranty, and it’s good for that.
    2016 Ram 3500 SWD 3:73 Turbo Diesel 6'4"" box
    OEM puck Pro 16K
    2021 Reflection 311BHS
    Previous:
    2017 Reflection 29RS
    Reese Sidewinder Hitch
    Platte Lake MN.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not know about Ram, but Ford has a time, as well as mileage component. It will tell you to change the oil 12 months after the last oil change, or based on usage, whichever comes first.

On my Ford, I changed it at 2,250 miles/51% oil life left to get the initial wear metal out, then at additional 3,350 miles/27% and switched to full synthetic. An additional 6,850 miles/31% (again full synthetic). So by "oil life = 0%" I would have changed the first two (assuming oil life is linear) at 4.6k miles and the last one at almost 10k miles.

I plan to do the next oil change at ~6,500 miles depending on when I am back home. I do a lot of slow, around town/short trips (the worst possible use for a diesel) during the winter and heavy towing in the mountains during the summer. Some people I hear of going 12,000~15,000 miles between oil changes. I figure oil and filter are cheap. Engine is expensive. I also often see oil temps over 240F on long pulls in the mountains, which is hard on oil life (and the reason I only run a full synthetic). I will change more often then needed/indicated. The "oil life indicator" on modern diesels are pretty detailed (and complex) algorithms and I think give a fair assessment of oil status. I would not ever willingly exceed the indicated "change oil now" message. Your mileage/decision will vary. Do what you are comfortable with.

I also run and oil analysis (Blackstone labs) on the used oil and will use that data to set my change interval. Some will say I am wasting my money, but I will spend it as I see fit (and adjust as I go). Each person needs to make their own choices.

Chris
    Last edited by CoChris; 05-07-2019 at 01:31 PM.
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTire View Post
    I took my 2018 Ram 3500 to the dealership to get the drag link recall work done and asked about oil/fuel filter maintenance - wanted to get a price as well for comparison reasons. Service guy told me to go by the computer - get the oil and filters changes when the truck tells you to do so.

Do people do that? I know that the maintenance intervals are further apart on a diesel, and the some people change their oil every 3K miles, but would like to know what others do. My readout currently states 62/63 percent life remaining for the filter and oil respectively. Mileage is 5720.

Thanks!
    For $28 you could send an oil sample to Blackstone Labs and have it analyzed. When you change oil, note the mileage on the oil along with the % your computer reads.
    The 3000 mile oil change interval was for a time when engines were carbureted and cylinders were washed with gas, wearing rings and contaminating oil. Fuel injection has gone a long way toward alleviating those issues. If you're changing oil every 3k, the API is smiling upon you.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see different opinions at the truck forums on oil change intervals: by the oil life indicator, twice a year, annually, mileage 7,500, 15,000.

From the Ram 2017 and 2018 User Guides:
    Replace the engine oil and oil filter every 15,000 miles (24,000 km) or six months, or sooner if prompted by the oil change indicator system. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 15,000 miles (24,000 km) or six months, whichever comes first.
    NOTE:
    • Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 15,000 miles (24,000 km) or six months or 500 Hours, whichever comes first.

Now see for the 2019 6.7L now says 12 months vs 6 months.
    The 2019 6.7L Diesel Supplement now shows:
    Replace the engine oil and oil filter every 15,000 miles (24,000 km) or 12 months, or sooner if prompted by the oil change indicator system. Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 15,000 miles (24,000 km) or 12 months, whichever comes first.

And I've just sent off my 1st Blackstone sample a couple of weeks ago, I plan on annual test.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FatTire View Post

Thanks!
    Your dealers advice is correct. Every known scenario is calculated in an engineered and complex algorithm that will look at drive cycles, ambient temperature, operating temperature, RPM, Load and more. If you want a comfort buffer, change the oil and filter at 10% remaining oil life. Some manufactures will also recommend a 12 month interval as well regardless of mileage. To dump oil at low mileage is no longer necessary since todays engines run cleaner and the oil is of much higher quality than just 10 years ago.
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to be more crazy about it. As I've aged I guess I've gotten lazy, I just go by the computer now
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do the 14-15,000 mile change of oil and fuel filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mike & Debbie
    Hot Springs, Ar
    2014 Ram 2500 4x4 Short Bed Diesel
    B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch
    2014 Reflection 303 (#405)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    I do not know about Ram, but Ford has a time, as well as mileage component. It will tell you to change the oil 12 months after the last oil change, or based on usage, whichever comes first.

On my Ford, I changed it at 2,250 miles/51% oil life left to get the initial wear metal out, then at additional 3,350 miles/27% and switched to full synthetic. An additional 6,850 miles/31% (again full synthetic). So by "oil life = 0%" I would have changed the first two (assuming oil life is linear) at 4.6k miles and the last one at almost 10k miles.

I plan to do the next oil change at ~6,500 miles depending on when I am back home. I do a lot of slow, around town/short trips (the worst possible use for a diesel) during the winter and heavy towing in the mountains during the summer. Some people I hear of going 12,000~15,000 miles between oil changes. I figure oil and filter are cheap. Engine is expensive. I also often see oil temps over 240F on long pulls in the mountains, which is hard on oil life (and the reason I only run a full synthetic). I will change more often then needed/indicated. The "oil life indicator" on modern diesels are pretty detailed (and complex) algorithms and I think give a fair assessment of oil status. I would not ever willingly exceed the indicated "change oil now" message. Your mileage/decision will vary. Do what you are comfortable with.

I also run and oil analysis (Blackstone labs) on the used oil and will use that data to set my change interval. Some will say I am wasting my money, but I will spend it as I see fit (and adjust as I go). Each person needs to make their own choices.

Chris
    Chris,
    Its your choice as stated but keep in mind your higher oil temperatures are by design where water, a by product of combustion, and other chemicals needs to occasionally be above the boiling point to be dissipated from your oil. Otherwise your making a hodgepodge of sludge and acid chemicals. If you were at these temperatures at normal cruise I would say this is abnormal but not on a hard pull.
    Jim
    MidwestCamper

Jim & Dawn
    Near Milford, Michigan
    2017 Imagine 2600RB
    2015 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 4x4

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello,
    I change mine once a year on my purchase anniversary (about 3,000 - 3,500 miles) for the last 3 years. That's what the dealer recommended. The only other service besides all the recall work has been the message to have the fuel filters replaced. I'm sure it was due to age rather than them being dirty at 10,000 miles. I will likely replace them myself next time.

Regards,
    Kevin
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast