User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard wired surge protection or inline at the pole

Is one better than the other and why. Will use a couple honda 2000 from time to time. Can the hardwired be bypassed for the generators? Never heard of a pedestal mount being stolen...but I guess its possible. Also worry about connections in bad weather. Going in a Reflection 315rlts. Where is a good place to mount the progressive HW50C. Something I can do myself?
    Thanks in advance
    Drop

Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hardwired is less prone to theft and is better protected from the elements. The hardwired units with the display are also easier to check from inside to see how things are going and what the problem was if the unit trips. Many of us have installed them ourselves - search the forum and you'll find a number of threads on the topic.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can buy or fashion a "bonding plug" and plug it into a 110 receptacle on either gen. The EMS with then be happy and give E 0 while protecting your RV. Here is a link to buy but the cost a couple bucks less to build. https://www.campingworld.com/portabl...xoCHWoQAvD_BwE

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I use a portable and it's never given me an issue. I just run a simple cable lock through it when I'm camped. One benefit of a portable unit is that there have been a few times when I checked the electrical connection for a friend of family member who did not have one.

Jim

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had both, first portable, now hardwired. I like the remote display I can see inside the camper, it's one less thing to have to store and hookup or put away. My main reason for switching was it protects against any issues that develop with the shore power cord. I had a short in my original cord that luckily didn't cause any damage. After that I decided to go with the hardwired. Whatever you choose is fine, just choose something because it is very beneficial. Mine has tripped numerous times at different campgrounds due to either faulty breakers or inadequate power distribution with excess loads on the campground's electrical system.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will speak for myself; more likely than theft is absent minded owner accidentally leaving it behind. I personally have left more than one hose splitters on the campground's spigot.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with a hard wired unit because I wanted to protect the RV from as many possible faults as I could. This includes the shore power cord which is often an overlooked maintenance item. With 50 amp service, the potential for an open neutral is real and can be catastrophic. Under certain circumstances, an open neutral, be it at the pedestal, power cord, or bad connection at the RV connection can send 240 volts through all your 120v appliances. This actually happened to one of the forum members and caused severe damage to his unit. See this post. https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...t=open+neutral

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another vote for hardwired. In addition to points made above, it's one less thing to unpack and pack during setup / takedown. Don't miss bill nagle's advice above about a bonding plug for your generator.
    Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - 2017 F-350 diesel SRW short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch