User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problems with GFI circuit

I just got though installing my solar system, I fire it up and it is working great, except that the GFI circuit dose not like the inverter.All other circuits work fine. The GFI works with the gen. but when I switch to the inverter, it trips. I have grounded the inverter and checked out all the circuit and they check out OK. I am at a lost at what it could be. Anyone else had this problem before?
    2012 Chevy 3500 DRW DURAMAX
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
    I just got though installing my solar system, I fire it up and it is working great, except that the GFI circuit dose not like the inverter.All other circuits work fine. The GFI works with the gen. but when I switch to the inverter, it trips. I have grounded the inverter and checked out all the circuit and they check out OK. I am at a lost at what it could be. Anyone else had this problem before?
    No, but you've got some digging to do to find out why it is happening. It *may* be nuisance tripping, but I urge you not to jump to that conclusion.

Here's an article on GFIs that may be helpful: https://www.rvtravel.com/no-shock-zo...oubleshooting/

I hope the professional electricians chime in here soon. I know just enough to get myself in trouble.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is the entire circuit GFCI protected at the panel or is there a GFCI receptacle?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb56 View Post
    Is the entire circuit GFCI protected at the panel or is there a GFCI receptacle?
    If his is like mine, the receptacles on the island, the one in the bathroom, and (if they exist) the ones in the pass-thru are all on a single GFCI circuit.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although something on the supply side of a GFCI causing it to trip defies logic, it can and does happen. I have seen it twice, both times involving motors like treadmills. The tripping is caused by interference to the electronics in the GFCI. Some things to try: in the panel, straighten out the hot and neutral wires of the GFCI circuit and tie them close to each other for as far as you can with zip ties, and try to keep them away from other circuit wires which will help to eliminate magnetic field interference since two AC conductors running close together will cancel out each other's magnetic field. Tuck the coiled pigtail away behind the bus mounting plate. Try a different GFCI breaker. Eliminate the GFCI breaker and put GFCI outlets at required locations wired to the line side only (the problem is you may not have room for GFCI outlets in the small trailer boxes). Another thing I would try is contact the tech support for the inverter. It has been a long time since I have seen this happen and I can't remember what solved it of if it was even solved but a nagging in the back of my brain says it was a different GFCI.

I did find this on the net:
    Although in theory a device on the line side of the GFCI will not trip the device, it can in practice.

In theory, a GFCI will only trip when it detects the current is not balanced on its load terminals. Unfortunately, the design of a GFCI makes them susceptible to interference. They can pick up electromagnetic signals, and also may also trip with wild swings of line voltage. There was a recent presentation at DEFCON that demonstrated how a (strong) radio transmission can cause the GFCI to trip, and even self-destruct.

I have personally experienced unwanted GFCI tripping from motors in my home: an exhaust fan and a garbage disposal. The GFCI tripped as the motor was turned off. In these instances, they were older motors and the circuit did not carry a safety ground (two-conductor NM cable).
    Last edited by bigb56; 05-08-2019 at 08:20 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also make sure that the solar backfeed wiring is neat and straight, close together and away from other conductors as much as possible. If the solar backfeed breaker is next to the GFCI try separating them but beware of any multiwire circuits before moving breakers around (are there any red branch circuit conductors?). I am a residential/commercial sparky but have never done solar in a TT so I am assuming some things here regarding backfeed.

Hopefully Chieblueman will be by soon to offer some input
    Last edited by bigb56; 05-08-2019 at 08:48 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The RV's 15A CB feeds the GFCI outlet (mine's on the kitchen island) which then feeds and protects the rest of the outlets on that same circuit.

What's the inverter make and model?
    How is the Inverter being connected to the RVs wiring?

Found a couple references to GFCI tripping:
    https://blog.donrowe.com/2017/06/15/...gfci-tripping/
    http://maze.airstreamlife.com/wp-con...h_Note_018.pdf
    https://www.schneider-electric.com/r...s%20output.pdf

The GFCI might be sensitive to the Inverter's Output Circuit:
    4.3.1 Principle of working of Inverter Section
    The low DC voltage from the DC Battery Source is first converted to low frequency (60 Hz), low voltage synthesized sine wave AC using an H-bridge configuration and high frequency PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) technique. The low frequency, low voltage synthesized sine wave is then stepped up to 120 VAC pure sine wave voltage using a low frequency Isolation Transformer and filtration circuit. This type of DC to AC inversion is called Hybrid Type – a combination of low frequency and high frequency implementation.
    - Gene

Kim & Gene
    2015 Reflection 317RST
    2017 Ram 3500 CC LB 4x2 6.7 CTD AISIN 3.73 DRW Auto Level Rear Air, BD3, Prodigy P3, Aux Tank

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The GFCI is in the bath room. The inverter is a Edecoa 3500/7000. I installed a 2nd ATS and ran the inverter in to the side for the shore power and tied a jumper wire to both hot in the ATS and the original ATS to the gen. side of the new ATS. All of the solar wires are fairly straight, on the roof and down in to the belly.
    I just read one of the articles on inverts and if the inverter has GFI in it then that is the problem, you can not run two GFI's on the same circuit, because the one will trip the other. I just emailed the company, to get the answer, if it dose have one, I an not sure what to do.
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My problem is that my Inverter has a internal GFIC in it. Now how to get around it?
    2016 Momentum 397th
    TOY 2013 800 RZR LE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ditchdigger View Post
    My problem is that my Inverter has a internal GFIC in it. Now how to get around it?
    So does the GFCI in the inverter protect the load side from the inverter, and if it trips how do you reset it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast