User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just traded our 2016 GMC 2500 HD (gas 6.0) for a 2011 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison. (Did I say the new used truck only had 20K miles?) It actually rides much better than the GMC 2500 did. Have only pulled our 337 twice, but, I like it! I was not looking for a dually, but this opportunity came along and I couldn't resist.

Good luck with your search & decision.
    Last edited by dmoore; 05-11-2019 at 05:51 AM. Reason: corrected spelling
    David & Sandra
    Honey: 10 year old miniature dachshund
    2018 Reflection 337 RLS (Mfg date: 07/24/2017)
    2011 Chevy Silverado "LTZ" 3500 HD
    4x4 Crew Cab DRW 6.6L Duramax LML/Allison
    Payload sticker: 4875#
    Curt Q20 Hitch w/ R20 Slider

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have had both. Currently an 04 F350 crew cab dully (needed the crew cab for the kids). I ended up with the dully by accident when I lemon an 03 6.0 king ranch crew cab SRW short bed. Ford up sized me for just about $0 back then as they did not have an equivalent replacement. Dealer had my back and worked the magic.

My new truck will be an F350 extended cab SRW. Dealing with 6 tires got expensive and it is a big whale to park, I dont need the dully for my current 220RK either.

Now having said that the dully was much more stable towing. Drive both and test parking and maneuvering in tight spaces. Have fun choosing.

Last comment - dully's don't like snow. Had to get studded snow tires to make the rear end behave and have traction, especially on ice and hard pack.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We went from a 3/4-ton SRW GMC to a DRW F350. The F350 definitely rides stiffer - but it's a much heavier truck with two more wheels/tires on the road. Towing there's no comparison. It's much more stable and I feel more secure having backup rubber back there with over 3,000 lbs. pin weight on the rear axle. As for parking lots, when we do use the truck for errands (we have a Honda CR-V, as well), we just park a bit farther out and get in a nice walk. Our truck gets 17 - 18 MPG highway not towing and consistently gets 10.5 MPG towing our loaded fifth wheel (coast-to-coast, gulf to northern boarder, 3.73 rear end).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First of all, Semper Fi Brother! When I picked up my 366DEN I used a friends F250 SRW 6.7 diesel, short bed. I had not bought my 2018 Silverado 3500 6.6 dually 8 foot bed yet. Comparison: F250 SRW I felt every big truck pass me and wind buffeting me on a 3 hour drive. We made our first major trip (1800 miles) with the 3500 DRW and not once did I feel passing trucks or buffeting winds. The 8 foot bed gave me confidence with the added weight capability.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well after a year of towing the 297RSTS with. SRW RAM 2500 diesel truck and Propride hitch I decided to change my truck. I bought a 2019 RAM 3500 DRW looking forward to spring to tow with a little more stability

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also switched from F250 short bed to F350 DRW long bed. Here is my input.
    I did not notice ride wise between the two trucks, both were solid.
    1- You can’t go thru a car wash.
    2- It takes a whole space to park it in a parking lot.
    3- Checking the Air on rear tires a little awkward. Not all gas stations have the special air nozzle to add air in inner tires.
    4- Some national parks won’t let you go sightseeing because they are too wide. For example we went to White Mountain National Forest and wanted to drive up to the top but they wouldn’t let me.
    5- More tire to buy.
    6- Some states you are required to have a mud flap.
    Last edited by Papahoosh; 12-16-2019 at 11:45 AM.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Granted a dually will not ride as good unloaded, but put weight in the bed, that makes the truck work, it rides pretty good. When my truck is not loaded, my teenagers do not like to ride in back seat, but loaded down, rides great, they do not mind.
    Robert & Kat
    2 teenagers
    2 Dogs
    Arkansas
    2017 Ram 3500 CCLB
    2015 385 Momentum
    Retired Military,

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well it has been a while since I bought my dully. 04 F350 King Ranch long bed. I ended up with the dully by chance when I lemon lawed an 03 F350 King Ranch SRW short bed. 6.0 diesel issues. Wont go the long story of how I ended up with the dully at no cost, but the dully towed my 32' 5er beautifully. Downside - 6 tires x 2 for studded snows to keep the back end in check, lousy traction in snow or mud,wet roads empty, parking and fuel mileage. Pro - most stable tow vehicle I have ever have had. There is a learning curve keeping the fat back end away from things (tight garage doors, etc)

Fast forward to today - back in 04 11400 GVW was about as high as you could go. Now you can get a SRW at 11,000. I don't need the dully with my new trailer as I downsized so I will be going back to the SRW
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't let folks scare you about DRW and snow, etc. Ours is 4WD and it works well in the snow, and I've had it off-road in mud too. I drive it every day to work in whatever weather happens to be.

Yes, it's best to back into a parking space - preferably around the periphery of a parking lot, or pull through two spaces front to back. The little bit of extra exercise walking into stores won't hurt you

Yes, it's more tires to buy. The cargo carrying and towing capacity is well worth it.

One of the advantages that we had was that we bought the truck before the trailer. Buying the 3500/DRW/CC/LB/Diesel that we did meant that we could buy any trailer on any lot and drive away with it. It was not a limiting factor. It's towed our Momentum with zero issues.
    2016 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
    2014 Ram 3500 CC/LB/CTD/Aisin/4.10
    2014 Polaris RZR 800EPS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all of the replies and comments...Three months and counting till we hit the road full time so it just made sense with to make the transition now...the current employee pricing sale just made the decision even easier.

Never thought about the adding air to the inner tire..I assume it just requires a longer connector, something I will need to add to my tool kit.

Since my SRW was a crew cab long box I already park away from the crowds and normally back in so not really to much of a change for me.

Will be a learning curve driving the next couple of months in the winter, but hopefully the only time I need to worry about that plan on being in warmer climates for future winters. I currently put #400lbs of sand in my SRW for winter traction may need to bump that up on the DRW or drive the wife;s Subaru.
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast