User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Single Wheel or Dual Wheel??

Have always owned 3/4 or 1 ton single rear axle trucks, thinking about going and driving a dually this weekend, just curious for those that have made the switch what have you noticed the most? Going back to a ton single axle may be an option for me as well, price is pretty much the same for single or dual axle.

I know parking lots will obviously be a bit more challenging, my current truck is 8' bed so know how that can be a challenge.

* Is the ride stiffer and do you feel more of the road(bumps)?

* How does it handle compared to a single axle?
    Brian-USMC Retired
    2019 Reflection 297RSTS
    2019 RAM 3500 Laramie MegaCab-4x4 DRW-AISIN
    Propride 3P Hitch
    Spokane, WA

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian,
    I also have always owned 3/4 ton trucks. The new dual wheel trucks ride better than my older Fords (F250's). I have a Ram now and it turns better (sharper) than my Fords did. I was also positive I would never own a diesel but I'm very happy with mine now. No problems in 3 years. I park the same places as my single axle truck (I still have and drive my Ford).

HTH,
    Kevin
    PS: Thank you for your service!
    2015 Ram Laramie 3500 4x4 LB Dually Crew Cab
    6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel Engine 5th wheel Prep
    68RFE Transmission Auto Level Rear Air Suspension 3.73 gears

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went from a 3500 SRW to an F-350 DRW. I definitely notice the difference in maneuverability but it's probably more about the wheelbase (6.5' vs 8' bed) than the extra set of tires. I don't really notice any difference in ride quality.
    Brian & Kellie
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, FBP, 1,460w solar, 540ah BBGC3, MORryde IS w/disc brakes
    2020 F-350 Platinum SRW Powerstroke Tremor, 60g TF fuel tank, Hensley BD3-F air bag hitch

Previous setups:
    2019 Solitude 373FB-R, 2019 F-350 Platinum DRW Powerstroke, Hensley BD5 air bag hitch
    2016 Reflection 318RST, 2016 GMC 3500 Denali SRW Duramax, Hensley BD3 air bag hitch

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 350 dually feels basically the same to me ride wise as my previous F250 shortbed. It is a little harder to park but the difference in towing comfort more than makes up for it. The long bed actually helps steady the ride as well. If you have a bigger trailer you won't regret the dually.
    2019 Solitude 375RES Onan 5500 Splendide W/D Samsung res. fridge
    2020 Ford F450 Platinum dually 6.7L 4:30 gears
    B&W Companion for Ford puck system 20K lbs
    Jeff

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forget about going to a drive-thru car wash.

As to the ride, there was too much of a jump from one (2016 Nissan Titan XD Diesel) to the other (2016 Ford F-350 6.7L Lariat DRW) to be able to make an honest comparison. The Nissan was an incredibly comfortable ride. The F-350 rides like, well, a truck.

But, there's so much more that I can do with the dually, that was impossible/unsafe to try in the Nissan.
    2016 Grand Design Reflection 313RLTS
    2020 Riverstone 39FK
    2016 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7L Powerstroke Lariat 2WD DRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the responses just what I was looking for.
    Headed to Dave Smith this weekend to test drive a few
    Hate to part with my 2500 especially since it’s paid for but not driving back and forth to work soon and really just need it for towing so will probably end up with h a dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had thought about a dually and took one for a drive. We were comparing a GMC to a GMC both 1 tons with an 8 ft bed. Right away we noticed a big difference in the ride. Then we went to park and had to take a couple of tries at it because the turning radius wasn't as sharp as the srw. We do have a Denali that people have commented about how nice it rides, even say it rides better than their cars.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been driving duallys since 1991. When we bought our 2017 Ford we thought about a single rear tire but the payload is over 2000lbs less. I was worried that 3200-3500lbs was not enough. our last trailer was 18500lbs loaded with a pin weight of 4500-5000lbs. So anyway both my wife and I drive the truck. They don't always fit thru drive up windows. if I don't know for sure I just walk in. The wife never uses drive ups in the truck. I do think a SRW would ride better less tire on the road. As far as car washes I wash everything by hand so that doesn't matter. We did own a F450 for ten years and they do turn really nice. We bought a F350 this time because they lower the GVW to the same as a 350. The tires on the 450 were not very good in the snow or off road plus you are really limited on tire choices. I thought I would miss the tight turning but, it hasn't been a problem. We do live in the country and I don't drive on a day to day bases.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reeldirtydawg View Post
    Have always owned 3/4 or 1 ton single rear axle trucks, thinking about going and driving a dually this weekend, just curious for those that have made the switch what have you noticed the most? Going back to a ton single axle may be an option for me as well, price is pretty much the same for single or dual axle.

I know parking lots will obviously be a bit more challenging, my current truck is 8' bed so know how that can be a challenge.

* Is the ride stiffer and do you feel more of the road(bumps)?

* How does it handle compared to a single axle?
    I'm really curious to read your test-drive report. A comparison of an SRW to a DRW on the same day and roads will be interesting.

My only comment (I can't really complain) regarding my DRW is the gas mileage. It's expensive to drive! At $3/gallon for diesel and 10 mpg it's .30/mile. That adds up quick. Anything faster than 65 (while towing) and the mileage plummets to the low 9s.
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, having gone from a 3/4t to a 1t srw to a 1t drw the dually does feel a bit heavier but more stable on the road. This is especially true on rough roads and bad weather. The rear is a bit more stiff, like when your going over a speed bump, but not unlike the srw did. Having said that, I wouldn't tow our 381 without it. As far as parking goes, we have learned it's easier to back in to a parking space than pull in. And I'll also mentioned, keep an eye on your rear fender flairs in the mirror while maneuvering in tight places. Ask me how I know...

John
    2018 Silverado LTZ 3500HD CC LB 4X4 DRW Duramax/Allison
    2019 Momentum 381M w/Full Body Paint
    2016 Can Am Spyder F3 Limited Special Series
    2017 Can Am Outlander 1000 XT-P
    2016 Wrangler Hard Rock Unlimited
    1997 Bayliner Capri 1950 affectionately named Skinnydipper
    MSgt, USAF (Ret)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast