Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Off the grid TV viewing...

We're too infrequent to justify getting a dish. Usually a couple seasons of some TV series on DVD, and we're good to go for the trip.
    We use Netflix, Amazon, Hulu and OTA at home.

But, the last couple of supply runs for the next trip has shown that retail DVD sales are quickly becoming a thing of the past. Especially since they will primarily be used in the RV with the stock TCL TV and Furrion player, so paying for 4K is kind of a waste.

We expect to be in many places with no wifi, cell or antenna reception.

We have iphones and ipads with tons of capacity.

Any recommendations for a "download to phone and send to TV screen " solutions?
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Download your media to a portable hard drive. Then get a media player - Roku is one but there a ton of them out there. Small portable HD will hold a lot mire than your phone.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLexx View Post
    Download your media to a portable hard drive. Then get a media player - Roku is one but there a ton of them out there. Small portable HD will hold a lot mire than your phone.
    Are downloaded Amazon/Netflix files directly playable on the Roku? Do they need to be converted with something like Handbrake to overcome proprietary coding or anti-theft security? Looked at the Apple hdmi dongle, but the Best Buy sales guy warned me that Netflix no longer allows casting from the Apple pad/phone to a TV. Chromecast seemed interesting, but apparently what it will play depends on what third party app has been downloaded. So lots of searching for what will play what.
    2017 Imagine 2670MK
    2012 F-150 SCrew, Eco, 4x4 6.5 box
    Max. Tow, HD Payload, Airbags, ProPride hitch
    (Previous: Jayco 26.5RLS Fifth, Revolution Pinbox)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No sure. I would email Roku tech support and ask them. The most important thing to know is what type of file the download is. The easiest file to use is the mkv file. Almost all players support that.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used a Mac mini to store all of my movies that I had digitized. Hooks right up to the tv through HDMI. I have a portable keyboard to control everything. Bonus is you can also load all you music and play to a Bluetooth speaker. I also have Bluetooth headphones that I use when I want to stay up and watch something without disturbing the DW.
    2017 F350 4x4 6.7 Turbo Diesel
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Download Mkv or MP4 to a hard drive. Setup plex server on PC. Turn on pc when you want to view, run plex on the roku, enjoy your shows.
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use either my wifes PC or my Android tablet and download shows and movies to them. I have an hdmi to C connection for her laptop and mirror from my Tab S.

So it works with out any issues. Download and watch is all you have to do. Might have to find the app to add to the Roku (roku channel/app store).

I should add that the Roku is not needed with a direct connection via cable.....
    Last edited by Jims94vmx; 05-10-2019 at 04:39 AM. Reason: added too
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I would also love to know more about this but you guys are way over my head I've never understood how you download programming to something other than on your DVR.

In the mean time I carry a butt load of dvds, have Dish and my TV is a smart TV so I can stream when we have a decent internet connection. A couple weeks ago we streamed Game of Thrones while we were boondocking at Crowley Lake on the eastern Sierra.
    Paul "Poppy" and Deb Cervone
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD ; 2015 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
    2016 GMC Denali 3500HD SRW Duramax/Allison CC 4x4; Tire Minder TPMS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On netflix there is a section of downloadable content. It just saves to your Tablet, phone or whatever you are using. then use a wire to connect, or mirror the unit used to save content to tv. Should be videos showing. hope that makes sense.....
    Jim and Belinda H. Pa.

2018 337RLS- 2nd ac, dual pane windows, table and chairs, Kodiak disc brakes 12-28-17 (Thanks Ed!)
    720w solar, 100/50 Victron scc

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we are using chrome cast, with hot spot.
    2018 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL
    2016 Ford F-150 4 X 4
    5.0 L

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast