Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 2800 BH (Newbie)

Good afternoon GD owners.

My name is Michael Robinson from Michigan but stationed here in Southern California with the U.S. Navy.

I just ordered a new 2020 2800BH. I think I got too excited and did not negotiate enough. I see so many posts on prices others have paid. I sure hope I didnt get robbed at 32K.

Few questions. If you dont mind helping.

1. Any differences between the 2019 and 2020 2800 BH Models?
    2. Should I or shouldnt I purchased the exterior coating that finance wants to sell you? Extended warranty? etc. I really dont know any better.
    3. There are so many opinions about all the items you need to buy with a new trailer, I really dont know what I actually NEED. For example. I need a battery, not sure if I need 6V or 12V. Surge protector 30amp or 50 amp. What other gadgets or tools are needed. Sewage stuff, levelers?

Thanks for taking the time to help a Rookie.

Look forward to some mentorship.

Michael

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael
    Thanks for your service.
    Welcome to the forum. You have a pretty "loaded" first post there but we are all willing to help.
    Personally I would not buy the exterior coating , the extended warranty is up to you, if the price is right and it covers everything it may be good. The dealer should provide you with 1 12 volt battery in a box behind the propane cylinders on the front of the camper , they should also supply 2 propane cylinders filled.
    The surge protector is a good idea, this may be 30 amp or 50 amp depending on if you have 2 air conditioners or just one , not sure if this model is 30 or 50 amp.

You will need to buy a good sewer hose , the dealer may give you a cheap one , you may get some other gadgets from them as well.

Others with this model will be along to help you. You are in good hands here with lots of knowledgeable and helpful folks.

You may want to let us know how you will use this, weekends , extended stays , traveling the country full time.

Brian

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian,

Thanks for the swift response.

They told me they would offer me the extended plan prices upon pick up. I tried to poke but he just said he would take care of military folk.

The dealer is not providing batteries. They are providing propane. I do plan to use this trailer on weekends and extended use during my military trainings etc. So it will get more use than average im hoping.

I definitely need to get the operations maintenance down before I pick this unit up. I will be searching you tube etc. Unless the dealer will provide some training.

Thank you.

Michael

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The dealer SHOULD supply a battery and a box on the tongue of the trailer. The battery is needed for the emergency break away switch, if the trailer becomes unhooked from the truck this switch is pulled and applies the electric to the brakes. This is mandatory for all trailer with electric brakes and a well charged battery is required for inspection. I would not buy the trailer if it does not come with the battery.
    Here is a PDI check list , pre-delivery , take this with you and use for a check list for checking the trailer over BEFORE you sign any papers. If things are not right do not sign papers until they are fixed.
    https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...rms-(Multiple)

Being in Michigan you are very close to the factory and there are other dealers around that you can still price shop , at 32k I think they may be a little high.
    Don't be afraid to do a little more homework and re-negotiations, and you can always walk away from the deal and move on to another one that is better.

Brian

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr4579 View Post
    The dealer is not providing batteries.
    Michael,
    Then they are the only dealership I've ever heard of that doesn't supply a battery upon delivery. Your trailer MUST have a battery when you leave the dealership as it powers the emergency brakes on the trailer should the rig disconnect from your tow vehicle.

Sounds like they are trying to get every dollar they can out of your wallet. Don't fall for the "taking care of the military" line (I'm a retired E-9, USAF). I strongly suspect they are not ensuring your best interests are taken care of--they are trying to make the most money they can.

-Howard
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW 6.7L Platinum
    2019 315RLTS (purchased 16 Jul 18 from Campers Inn RV in Byron, GA)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brian,

Thank you.

I was required to put a 1k deposit down. So prolly no luck of re-negotiating of any sort?

I’m gonna push for battery but they wouldn’t budge.

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by howson View Post
    Michael,
    Then they are the only dealership I've ever heard of that doesn't supply a battery upon delivery. Your trailer MUST have a battery when you leave the dealership as it powers the emergency brakes on the trailer should the rig disconnect from your tow vehicle.

Sounds like they are trying to get every dollar they can out of your wallet. Don't fall for the "taking care of the military" line (I'm a retired E-9, USAF). I strongly suspect they are not ensuring your best interests are taken care of--they are trying to make the most money they can.

-Howard
    Howard,

Thanks for your service and advice

Michael

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael

I am sorry if I am sounding to "course" but I hate to see people taken advantage of and I think , being as you are new to all this , that your dealer is taking advantage of you and your family. I would guess that your deposit should be refundable and if you would ask that it is it may give you what you need , a little power, to start new negotiations. Just an opinion here and trying to help out.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the fourm congrats from Wv from one Navy man to another thanks for your service
    NAVY 1980-1984
    2022 Reflection 337 RLS
    2023 GMC SierraDenali 2500 HD
    Anderson ultimate hitch

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Campers View Post
    Michael

I am sorry if I am sounding to "course" but I hate to see people taken advantage of and I think , being as you are new to all this , that your dealer is taking advantage of you and your family. I would guess that your deposit should be refundable and if you would ask that it is it may give you what you need , a little power, to start new negotiations. Just an opinion here and trying to help out.

Brian
    Brian, I definitely value your feedback.

Thanks so much.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast