Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

297RSTS: EQ4 or Reese Dual Cam Hitch?

We put a deposit down today on a new 2019 Reflection 297 RSTS . Don't know for sure when we will pick it up but can't wait. I was able to get the dealer to work with me on replacing the Westlake tires with Goodyear Endurance. I could use some help with something though. I have been very happy with the EQ4 hitch towing a 28 ft trailer. I will be changing to a heavier trailer that will be 34 ft. long. I need a new hitch and the dealer wants me to switch to a Reese Dual Cam hitch. Does anyone have any experience with both hitches?
    Last edited by howson; 05-12-2019 at 03:42 AM. Reason: Clarify title

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papermakermd View Post
    We put a deposit down today on a new 2019 Reflection 297 RSTS . Don't know for sure when we will pick it up but can't wait. I was able to get the dealer to work with me on replacing the Westlake tires with Goodyear Endurance. I could use some help with something though. I have been very happy with the EQ4 hitch towing a 28 ft trailer. I will be changing to a heavier trailer that will be 34 ft. long. I need a new hitch and the dealer wants me to switch to a Reese Dual Cam hitch. Does anyone have any experience with both hitches?
    Sorry I don't have experience with both hitches only the Reese Dual Cam setup. I have the same trailer that you just bought and use 1500 lb dual cam setup. It works very well. I don't get any sway even with high cross winds. I hear a lot of good things about EQ4 as well just have not used it before. Previous trailer was 32' and use dual cam as well with the same good results which is why I stayed with Dual Cam. I am sure someone that has used both will chime in with comments on each.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! Calbar I hope this is not a second response to you. The dealer is suggesting the 1500lb. bars. I don't have the second Air as of right now. I was thinking the 1700 lb bars might be better because this trailer is supposed to be tongue weight heavy. Do you know what your tongue weight is running?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by papermakermd View Post
    Thanks! Calbar I hope this is not a second response to you. The dealer is suggesting the 1500lb. bars. I don't have the second Air as of right now. I was thinking the 1700 lb bars might be better because this trailer is supposed to be tongue weight heavy. Do you know what your tongue weight is running?
    Not a problem. I don't have an exact tongue weight but I do know that it put 1100 lbs on the rear axle with WDH. I estimate that it is about 1300 - 1400 lbs. I don't have the second AC but I have 2 batteries on the tongue. Not sure I would go 1700 lb bars though. I still have some reasonable play in the hitch head tilt to accommodate a second AC if I would put one on and if your bars are too stiff can cause other issues. I also know that the 315 has a much heavier tongue weight and guys on the forum are around 1500 lbs. I think you will be fine with the 1500 lb bars.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada