User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overflo mod

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Overflo mod

Had a valve on the overflo, but more than once forgot to open it to let air back into the tank. So it was time to redo it. I don't know if the check valve is high enough, but it is up against the bottom of the floor. I would think the top of the tank is a little lower if the overflo pipe comes out of the top of the tank. If it doesn't work I'll run it over and up into the front compartment. I also moved the shutoff valve out to the side, so no more crawling under the trailer to use it. I had to make a bracket to attach the new valve.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190511_113918.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	20008Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190511_113737.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	20009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190511_113747.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	20010

Name:	20190511_113930.jpg 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	20011
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20190511_113722.jpg  
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting

Is there a reason a shut off valve for the overflow is necessary? Just wondering what Im missing, and trying to learn more.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 315RLTSinPA View Post
    Had a valve on the overflo, but more than once forgot to open it to let air back into the tank. So it was time to redo it. I don't know if the check valve is high enough, but it is up against the bottom of the floor. I would think the top of the tank is a little lower if the overflo pipe comes out of the top of the tank. If it doesn't work I'll run it over and up into the front compartment. I also moved the shutoff valve out to the side, so no more crawling under the trailer to use it. I had to make a bracket to attach the new valve.

Name:	20190511_113918.jpg 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	20008Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190511_113737.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	20009Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190511_113747.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	93.6 KB 
ID:	20010

Name:	20190511_113930.jpg 
Size:	86.8 KB 
ID:	20011
    I really like this solution. I'm going to have to clone it! Thanks much.

Jim
    Last edited by TucsonJim; 05-12-2019 at 11:53 AM.

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    Interesting

Is there a reason a shut off valve for the overflow is necessary? Just wondering what Im missing, and trying to learn more.

Mike
    Mike - When you're filling the tank, it's a good idea to have a valve to open up. If you fill it to the brim, the overflow will come out of the valve, and not up at the top next to the membrane.

Jim

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

So doesn't the overflow tube that is already in place (sans valve) work the same, just not controlled with a valve?

Im probably missing something really obvious and I'll feel like an idiot.

Mike

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks

So doesn't the overflow tube that is already in place (sans valve) work the same, just not controlled with a valve?

Im probably missing something really obvious and I'll feel like an idiot.

Mike
    Mike,

There is a long history behind this. The way that GDRV installs the overflow, some models are prone to significant spillage while driving down the highway. Whether it's due to sloshing or siphoning is irrelevant. The solution that many owners use, including myself is to put a valve on the overflow. Then, when underway with a full tank, the valve is shut and the water is retained. The issue is that the valve is hidden, and if an owner forgets to open it when setting up camp, the tank will essentially be at a vacuum and water won't flow correctly.

The solution is to route the discharge port higher than the tank. This minimizes the sloshing or siphoning action. However, when filling the tank, the water will still want to come out of the re-routed overflow when the tank gets full and the water hose is turned on. The way that the OP routed his overflow, the excess water can run out and saturate the bottom of the floor if the filling hose is still pressurized. However, by adding a bypass valve and hose at the bottom of the line, he can open it up when filling up and the majority of the excess water will bypass the discharge near the floor. Once the tank is full, that bypass valve can be closed, and the tank will still be vented and prevent the vacuum that others encounter.

Jim

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, what Jim said. Except water can't come out the top. I used a check valve. Air can be sucked in, but water can't come out.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Will the check valve you installed pass air both ways? I know some don't that are spring loaded. Just a thought. It looks high enough too - nice clean install. It also looks like your valve is at the low point for winter draining.

Its similar to what I did except using an air/vac valve that allows air both ways. I still need to remember to open the drain valve when filling as water will not pass through the air/vac https://www.mygrandrv.com/fo...263#post196263
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the explanation... I got it now. Sorry if I sounded like an idiot.

Makes sense now. Learn something new everyday.

Thanks

Mike

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the explanation... I got it now. Sorry if I sounded like an idiot.

Makes sense now. Learn something new everyday.

Thanks

Mike
    That's what is so great about this place. No need to fear when asking questions or sounding dumb (i am an expert at asking dumb questions). Folks are great to share and help. Even when my CRS kicks in folks will give me the answer again
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast