Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another F350 Diesel thread

Thinking SERIOUSLY about upgrading tp a F350 diesel sw from a F250 gasser. New 315rlts on order. I dont doubt the 250 can handle the trailer....but it IS close to the upper end of cababilities. So DW suggest's we upgrade. Made the mustake of stopping by the dealership. Its doable I believe. Thinking I would be a lot more comfortable and stable. F350 6.7 diesel crew cab 6&3/4 box. Tow cap 18000 lbs. Payload 3850 to 3950 lbs . Live in the midwest. Wondering what gear ratio to go with IF I can order. 3:31 or 3:55. Dont see us going over the Rockies. But have been across and back of the smokies...and plan to see.New E gland in the fall someday...maybe Canada someday. Figuring the weight of 12000 loaded the 3:31 should be fine. Looking for real world advice
    Thank You All
    Drop

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    3:55 with e-locker would be my choice, but Waite until the 2020's come out. The 2019's will be steeply discounted and you may like the 2020 better with the 10 speed trans. How much solo driving will you be doing? With the 10 speed you may be able to do the 3:31, again get the e- locker.

On edit - with a trailer right at 11K GVWR you may be able to do the 3:31, Ask the dealer for their towing recommendation sheet, It has trailer GVWR vers gear ratio recommendations based on engine choice. Hopefully Ford still publishes this,
    Last edited by powerscol; 05-12-2019 at 06:13 PM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to add....a lot of solo driving. More than while towing
    Drop

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could always switch to a 1 ton gas engine. I have a diesel and certainly drive unhooked more than towing. I do like having the diesel when towing, it really makes a difference when towing in the mountains, especially on the way down with the exhaust brake. If you know you will only be on flat terrain I think either option is good. There are pros and cons to both options, you need to figure what's best for your situation whether it's based on price or performance. You will get more capability with a gas 1 ton in terms of payload, axle and towing capacities compared to a 3/4 ton, the diesel option will change some of those numbers since the engine is much heavier.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH