User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Home vs. RV solar panels

Is there much of a difference other than physical size? I’m seeing residential panels of 325w at 37 volts, and $180-$190 dollars each. New owner and reading through the solar threads.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would recommend using some cardboard that is the same size as the panels you are looking at and mapping out how they will fit on the roof. You might find those panels to be too big to get positioned properly on the roof.

Based on the research I did, the panels are the same as long as they are quality panels. They are almost all designed to handle high winds, hail and snow loads.

-David
    David, Karen, Bethany and Daniel - Pittsburgh, PA
    2019 Chevrolet 3500HD Duramax SRW
    2018 Reflection 285BHTS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^This. My research also indicated that the difference between home and RV panels is primarily size. It's important to position the panels so they are not shaded by vent covers or A/C units on the roof. Smaller panels are easier to properly place on the roof to avoid shadows. I just finished installing three 100 watt panels and the smallish size made it easy to find a position on the roof. You can see how much real estate 300 watts takes up.

Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post
    ^^^This. My research also indicated that the difference between home and RV panels is primarily size. It's important to position the panels so they are not shaded by vent covers or A/C units on the roof. Smaller panels are easier to properly place on the roof to avoid shadows. I just finished installing three 100 watt panels and the smallish size made it easy to find a position on the roof. You can see how much real estate 300 watts takes up.
    Jim brings up an important point about "shadows" and shading. No matter what size panels you purchase, make sure that they have bypass diodes. This is especially true if you run strings of panels in series. On older panels without the diodes, you'd lose the entire string if there was any shade. With bypass diodes, the shaded area is "bypassed" and the string will continue to allow current flow from the sections in the sunlight. I demonstrated this at the 2018 Quartzsite rally to several owners who didn't understand. I had three panels hooked up in series. In older panels, if one of those panels was shaded, the current flow would go to zero. But I used a piece of cardboard to obscure one of the panels with the diodes, and there was simply a reduction of current equal to the shaded area.

One other item to note. For a permanent mount, I strongly recommend going with hard panels and not flexible or soft panels. I have yet to see a flexible panel that can withstand more than a year or two of UV exposure without breaking apart.

Jim

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J&G garage View Post

Unfortunately, you installed all those panels in the shade !!!
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I chose to go with full size residential panels. I purchased the panels from Northern Arizona Wind and Solar. The 305 watt Canadian Solar Panels I purchased were $0.69 per watt and shipping to Florida added $0.20 per watt. Quite a reasonable price for high quality Solar Panels.
    I chose the Canadian Solar Panels because they performed well in low light and produced 11% more energy per day due to their low light performance. I did not want to mess around with tilting the panels so these should compensate for not tilting the panels.

Originally I planned to install the panels on my previous coach, however, we purchased a new Solitude and installed them on the new coach, fortunately, without any shading issues. One nice thing about our Solitude is there are fewer roof penetrations so there was a lot of real estate up there to fit the panels.

Note: The panels are wired as 2 panels in series with the two pairs wired in parallel.

Here is how we laid out the panels:

Note: One of the 4 panels is laid out across the front.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solar Panels Installed (4).jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	20031
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    Unfortunately, you installed all those panels in the shade !!!
    Great minds think alike,eh?
    Jim & Georgianne
    N. California
    2016 Reflection 29RS
    2008 Ford F-250 Super Duty PSD
    B&W Companion hitch
    Rubber turtle with no name

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    I chose to go with full size residential panels. I purchased the panels from Northern Arizona Wind and Solar. The 305 watt Canadian Solar Panels I purchased were $0.69 per watt and shipping to Florida added $0.20 per watt. Quite a reasonable price for high quality Solar Panels.
    I chose the Canadian Solar Panels because they performed well in low light and produced 11% more energy per day due to their low light performance. I did not want to mess around with tilting the panels so these should compensate for not tilting the panels.

Originally I planned to install the panels on my previous coach, however, we purchased a new Solitude and installed them on the new coach, fortunately, without any shading issues. One nice thing about our Solitude is there are fewer roof penetrations so there was a lot of real estate up there to fit the panels.

Note: The panels are wired as 2 panels in series with the two pairs wired in parallel.

Here is how we laid out the panels:

Note: One of the 4 panels is laid out across the front.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solar Panels Installed (4).jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	20031
    Thank you! It is the Canadian Solar panels I was looking at! 65” x39” is quite a bit of real estate, bitI too am attracted to the efficiency over 18%.

Great suggestion on the cardboard cut outs above as well. I think my first investment is going to be upgrading my batteries to Lifepo4’s. However, with the trade situation heating up maybe it’s a good idea to get the panels now?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm in the process of installing the renogy 160w flexible panels this week, they're worth checking out IMO as they're a lot lighter than regular panels.

Pardon my mess;

2019 F350 SRW w/equalizer hitch
    2019 Imagine 2800BH

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those flexible panels look so cool!
    2019 Momentum 395
    2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10 AISIN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast