Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2019 F-250/F-350 Blind-spot monitors

I was at the local Ford dealer for service on our 2014 F-350 and saw the 2019 F-series brochure and that BLIS is now available on the F-series trucks. Do any of you '19 F-series owners have experience to how well this also provides blind-spot monitoring when towing? We tow a 2014 Solitude currently, and our other vehicle is a '16 Prius Touring 4, which has all of the blind-spot, forward-looking radar, etc., and we love that. And I've often wished for the same when towing.

So the question is: does it work well? or is one ahead just to plan on installing cameras on the trailer?

Or, alternatively, has anyone found trailer-installable blind-spot systems? I'm all for safety!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While we have a 2019 F350 with BLIS, we have a 5th wheel and it doesn't work with 5th wheels....only TTs.

Cal
    Cal, Marsha and Bear the Labradoodle
    2019 F350 Platinum DRW, 6.7 PSD, 4:10, Firestone Airbags
    Pullrite Superlite
    2019 Momentum 376th
    Aprilia RST1000
    Evelo Aurora E-bikes

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another limitation for the Ford Superduty BLIS is that it only indicates blind spot traffic with a visual light in the side view mirrors. My other cars also give a audible beep if you signal a lane change with a car in the blind spot.

AND as Cal wrote, it doesn’t work with 5th wheel trailers.
    Jerry & Linda
    Emma & Abby our Mini Golden Doodles & JR our Amazon Parrot
    2017 Reflection 337RLS, Build Date 01/2017, Titan Disk Brakes, Goodyear G614s 235/85/16 G Rated tires
    2022 F-450 King Ranch Ultimate, 4,868 lb Payload, Bedrug Bedliner, Andersen Ultimate II Aluminum 5th wheel hitch
    http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/FLGANCSCsm.jpg

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimibooks View Post
    I was at the local Ford dealer for service on our 2014 F-350 and saw the 2019 F-series brochure and that BLIS is now available on the F-series trucks. Do any of you '19 F-series owners have experience to how well this also provides blind-spot monitoring when towing? We tow a 2014 Solitude currently, and our other vehicle is a '16 Prius Touring 4, which has all of the blind-spot, forward-looking radar, etc., and we love that. And I've often wished for the same when towing.

So the question is: does it work well? or is one ahead just to plan on installing cameras on the trailer?

Or, alternatively, has anyone found trailer-installable blind-spot systems? I'm all for safety!

Short answer "it is worthless"

Long answer, BLIS w/trailer has been available since 2017 on the Super Duties. Have it on mine. If you tell the truck (configuration) you have a 5th wheel (or goose neck) trailer, it completely disables BLIS when the trailer is connected. If you tell it the trailer is a TT (bumper pull) and configure the length (up to 35'(?) max), it works very poorly with a 5er. We are pulling a Solitude (wide body and closer to the tail lights (where the sensors are) than a TT), so this is a "worst case" for the BLIS system as it can not see "around" the trailer. Even so, I find (without a trailer) it is very poor and only tells me when another vehicle has over lap (is at or in front of my rear bumper). If the other vehicle is only a few feet (and I mean maybe 5') behind me a gaining, it will not give me any notification. Interestingly, my wife's 2017 Ford Fusion BLIS works great and gives me notification (with a reasonable distance) of another car coming up on me, even at freeway speeds.

Now the "cross traffic" feature on a long bed crew cab has been pretty good and given me helpful notification a number of times (on both vehicles and pedestrians) when backing up with limited (or no) side visibility (think parking spots).

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the replies. I kinda figured that BLIS would be not helpful pulling a 5-er. Thanks for all of the replies.

The BLIS on our 2016 Prius is fabulous; works extraordinarily well, so the software that's been blended with the sensors that Toyota has put into it seem particularly good. Pretty clear that we don't need to trade in our 2014 F-350 just yet! We are thinking about getting a somewhat smaller 310GK at some point. We needed the larger Solitude we have because both spouse and I worked from the trailer for 4–6 weeks at a time during the for the past few years; it's less needed now.

Thanks again,

Jim

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO the Ford mirrors are far better than the BLIS. I think BLIS is better for vehicles with small mirrors with blind spots. The Super Duty mirrors don't have any blind spots.
    2018 Reflection 315RLTS
    2023 F350 Lariat 6.7L/CC/LB/FX4

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have BLIS on mine. It's great when you're just driving the truck. When I'm towing the fiver, I trick it into working by telling the system it's a travel trailer knowing that the system can not see further back than about 33 feet.

Since I have a Furrion rear observation camera, I rely on that for changing lanes (and my mirrors of course). The BLIS is convenient when towing only to tell me if there's someone in my blind spot, but I still just use it as a rough guide. When towing I make lane changes well in advance of when I need to and I rely on the rear observation camera and my mirrors the most.
    2017 Ford F450 - our kids call her "Big Red"
    2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh